Get this guys - Page 4

Get this guys

This is a discussion on Get this guys within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TedBeau And as far as handcuffing after removing the gun, how is he supposed to know if you have a backup. Anyone ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Get this guys

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    And as far as handcuffing after removing the gun, how is he supposed to know if you have a backup.

Anyone this LEO pulls over could have any number of illegal firearms, so he probably cuffs and stuffs everyone he stops.

I was surprised by the LEO's accepting the validity of grifft's printed CCW recognition list.

I have to say that after reading this thread, I'm glad I have a "nation-wide" carry license. I have never had any problems with a federal, state or county officer honoring my credentials, although I have heard that some people have.
    I do have to say though, I usually "open carry" (I put my pistol & holster between the seat and console so the butt sticks up for easy grab) when on a long trip. It's just not very comfortable to have it on for a 1k miles. Also, I have my plates and drivers license flagged as confidential. So usually the officer suspects I'm an LEO before they even approach the vehical.
    I have also have a weapon in the glovebox, so I usually tell the officer about it before I open the box.......never had one blink an eye yet....... not even question.....and this is BEFORE I show my credentials....... having your plates flagged really helps!!

But on the other note..... I do agree that LEOs should have a general knowledge of the laws.....and CCW would be a fairly important one....as many have stated, it a good idea to know the laws your enforcing......and if you don't know, ask. We have TOO much technology at our fingertips for us to plead ignorance...and by "us" I do mean citizen AND LEO.
    Disarm me for your protection? I can buy that.......
    Hand cuff me after you have my weapon & License? Too far......
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

great idea. will have to print out a map of the states i can carry in too.
    "with great power comes great responsibility"

I'm amazed the LEO accepted a printout as "good enough" evidence of the actual law. I think I'll hack together a sheet that says every state I travel through recognizes my CCW. Somehow I think the LEO should have called in to dispatch if there was a question.

Cuffs seem excessive but it's his call so I won't argue it. just because one weapon was found doesn't mean there aren't others (not that cuffing would completely "disarm" a BG with a backup gun).

The OP was right to notify the LEO: (K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driverís license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty five dollars.

I am a LEO, and have only a few stops with a CCW permit holder. And I do not hear many CCW's in reply from dispatch when others run DL or plates. I have did have one CCW that did not show up on a DL check, when I had the permit in hand. I myself and several other officers in the department do not care what state you have a permit from or if our state accepts it, we figure you are good to go and are not going to bother you for that. I do not believe I have ever ticketed a permit holder, all stops having been for minor traffic. These I check and if nothing else you may get a written warning. I have found a lot more firearms in cars without a CCW permit than with.

But one thing did happen to another officer, they had a traffic stop with a convicted felon with outstands warants who still had a CCW permit and was carring at the time. I did not believe this and someone pulled the case paper work to show me. If she stops you, you can expect other officers to show up and you will cuffed and you weapon with held till everthing is checked, ticket written if needed, before you get sent on your way.

"I carry a a 1911 style SA with manual safety, frankly I doubt a full half of the LEO out there know how to safely handle my pistol and we are both at risk if some gun ignorant LEO tries to unload and make safe my piece."

Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt. It's most definately NOT fun to be sitting cuffed in the back seat of the patrol car as a officer tries to unload your 1911 by PULLING THE TRIGGER, with the gun pointed AT YOU. Though I have to admit it was a bit funny watching the older officer "looked about mid 60's" get a look of shock on his face and yank the gun out of the other officer's hands.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG45 View Post
    I myself and several other officers in the department do not care what state you have a permit from or if our state accepts it, we figure you are good to go and are not going to bother you for that. I do not believe I have ever ticketed a permit holder, all stops having been for minor traffic. These I check and if nothing else you may get a written warning.
    But one thing did happen to another officer, they had a traffic stop with a convicted felon with outstands warants who still had a CCW permit and was carring at the time.
    you can expect other officers to show up and you will cuffed and you weapon with held till everthing is checked, ticket written if needed, before you get sent on your way.
    LOL Funny story (not at the time mind you).........
    But I got stopped one night after being out shooting pool and my shirt rode up on my back while I had my SOB holster on. Anyway, cops were called I guess.....but no one came in, I guess they waited till I would leave (which I thought was funny) but I was pulled over a few blocks after I left and was given the "man with a gun treatment."
    Officers were very professional, and once they found out I had a permit, (couldn't carry with credentials at that point) they put all weapons away, but ran my pistol......and get this! came back as stolen! And it had been.....from the store I purchased it from! It was recovered though and sold as used. I was luck that the senior seargant on scene (I knew him....great officer....RIP) remembered the incident, and even the house they were recovered from!
    Anyway, they took my pistol because it was still in the database as stolen, and I had to get it back the next day.

So....lesson learned..... If any weapons are stolen, you HAVE to have the status changed in the database, otherwise it will remain stolen.
    I know am a little more picky about my clothing, but also have my credentials too!
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

If any weapons are stolen, you HAVE to have the status changed in the database, otherwise it will remain stolen.
    Is there an SOP for this

IMO it's his job to know the law............my son just recently got a ticket for having his Pick up lifted. He called in to see if there was a fine cause the ticket didn't show a need for court appearence. The clerk told my son he had to appear and when my son asked where did it say that the answer was.....policeman don't know all the laws.

yeah...........but they can ticket you anyway. The judge dismissed the ticket and laughed. My son didn't think taking off of work to appear was so funny. That's called Neglegence in other professions.

No excuse not to know your job..................

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Is there an SOP for this
    You got me there..... it's unknown, but I have no reason to believe the officer that told me that would of lied to me......and the fact that my weapon was STILL listed as stolen in the database years later, leads me to believe this is correct. However, it may have just been a human error and not removed as it should have been.......

Guess I don't for fact know......just what i was told.....

I expect those who are enforcing the law to know them without queston...know them completely.
    This stop was purely..., IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

From reading your post I think you did things a little backwards... I would have told him I have a concealed weapon along with a permit. I think by you not telling him you had a permit right away was the main cause for him handcuffing you and putting you in the backseat. Now having a print out of all the states in your wallet was smart, so it all worked out for you. I'd hate to have seen what would have happened if you didn't. You might not have been charged but you probably would have been tooken to the dog pound for a while. That sure wouldn't make your day a good one. Luckily I don't go out of state too often.
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I personally think LEO's should know what other states in their region recognize each other's CHLs. I mean, SC isn't that far from FL. It's not like you were from Alaska, Oregon, Kansas, Delaware.... etc etc....

Sounds pretty excessive to me.

YEP!^^^

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Did you get your firearm back from Barney ?.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links