Why get a Utah CCP?

This is a discussion on Why get a Utah CCP? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, What are the benefits of getting a Utah CCP beyond more states having reciprocity? Why else should I try to get one? My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why get a Utah CCP?

Why get a Utah CCP?

Hi everyone,

What are the benefits of getting a Utah CCP beyond more states having reciprocity? Why else should I try to get one?

My situation:
    I live in Oregon, but will be moving to Washington in a few months. I'll still spend a large amount of time in Oregon. I've talked with my local sheriff and getting my permit for Oregon is not going to be a problem, and having it as a non-resident will be fine too.

The CC class I'll be taking is also offering a Utah class for $50. To get the permit there are of course fees above and beyond that. For WA I can get a resident permit for $55 (I think), no class needed. So.. for less money I could get the WA + OR permits and 99% of the states I visit will be covered.

Are there any major reasons to get a Utah one?
    Any benefit of having a WA resident permit instead of a Utah non-resident?

Thanks for the input.

2. Remove Ads

IMHO, as long as you can "maintain" your OR lic. & get yor WA, then the decision is whether the1% is worth the $$$

Getting a "non- res OR can be a hassle. Some OR sherriffs refuse them & it can change if a "new sherriff" comes in. I lost mine ( after 10 years) & had to travel to "a remote friendly County" to re instate it

Puffer

$55?

Its freekin $140 in Texas :yup
    Maybe we need to move to the north west....
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

puffer: I happen to live in one of those "remote" counties, so it definitely works to my advantage. :-)

basher: yeah, pros and cons both ways. I've grown up here and love it. Being a Washingtonian will be a new change for me, but I'm sure it will be fine.

I'd love to hear other thoughts if people have them. I've heard a lot about Utah permits being great.. just trying to learn and understand more as I slide into the world of CC :-)

If the Oregon and WA permits cover your needs, why spend the money on a Utah permit? Besides, the Utah governor is making noises about not wanting Utah to be the clearinghouse of non-resident ccw permits, so it's possible that you get the permit and a law change in Utah invalidates it.

I have a WA resident permit and have family and friends in Oregon that I visit and would like to get an Oregon permit. If anybody knows the county that gives me the best odds of getting the permit, please pm me.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

VIP Member
    It depends if you want to spend the money. I only had a TX resident permit until very recently. Never needed any additional states covered, I just got a PA non-resident permit to cover me while my TX license is in the renewal phase. I didn't want it to lapse with the long waiting periods here.

I was very happy with just my Tx permit. If I didn't need it I wouldn't spend the money right now...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Long story short, Utah has ALOT of coverage on their non-resident permit. While UT permits are available why not apply for them. FL & UT have the most coverage as well. I'll be applying for my UT permit next payday. As long as UT is offering non-resident permits I'm applying for one.

I currently only have a NV permit. With my current permit I have coverage for 19 states. With a UT permit I have approximately 29 states coverage. Not that I'll need that much coverage! But it is nice to know I have the opportunity to cover the majority of the US that allows for CCW permits. Under the circumstances the price of UT permit it's money well spent.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; November 6th, 2009 at 04:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Last i heard, it's only 10 bucks to renew the Utah permit every 5 years...

Sounds like a good back-up to me in case you'll ever need it...

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post

That's blasphemy. You may be in trouble for saying that.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

$55?
    Its freekin $140 in Texas ....
    At least in my County of the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia initial fee is $65 for the 4 hour class, plus $159 fee for the 2-year CCW permit.

Then $65 for the same 4-hour class and $79 renewal every two years, every two years. Did I mention that you take the same class every two years?

What are the benefits of getting a Utah CCP beyond more states having reciprocity?
    Better Answer:
    We're about 200 years overdue for a simple, inexpensive, LONG duration, nationwide Concealed Carry Permit.

Do states individually issue permits for 1st amendment rights?

A lot depends on if and where you ever plan to travel. One thing to remember is that almost all non-resident permits take time to receive and if you decide to take a trip someplace your not covered with your current permits, you can't pick up a Utah or Florida permit overnight. By my tally, a Utah permit would add:
    Wyoming, New Mexico, North Dakota, Minnesota, Alabama, Georgia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania & Delaware
    to your Washington resident and Oregon non-resident permits.

Besides my Kansas license, I also have New Hampshire and Utah non-resident licenses. Besides reciprocity, two of the best reasons I can think of for having multiple licenses are a renewal hang-up with a license or relocation. If my renewal notice were to be lost in the mail or something, my current permit may actually expire before I am able to get everything straightened out. By having multiple permits, I'm still covered, at least partially. If I were to move out of Kansas, my Kansas license would immediately become invalid. However, the state I move to may have residency requirements that I may have to live there a certain amount of time before being able to apply for a resident license from that state. By having other non-resident licenses already, I will still be covered in several locations and possibly even in the state that I moved to.

When you break down the cost of a license, it's usually pretty small considering how many years they are valid for, usually less than the cost of one box of ammunition per year.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Having some overlap for renewal is a good thought. Somehow (perhaps wrongly) I think that if I have a permit in multiple states I'm saying "this is important to me", and increase permit holder numbers which might be of benefit later down the road making the argument that it's important to X number of people.

Money isn't particularly tight right now, so maybe I'll take the Oregon + Utah class, and also get the WA permit. The WA sheriff I talked to will issue me an non-resident before I move up there, and then charge a $5 change of address fee... at least then all will be legal once I get up there versus waiting for the Utah permit to go through.

Thanks everyone.

[edit] If anyone comes up with another reason to specifically get a Utah permit still chime in [/edit]

Non renewing Law Changes

Has there ever been a situation, whereby a State changes their non-resident CCW permit laws and refused to issue renewals to already existing Non-Resident Permit holders?

I understand Orange County, Ca. is having some trouble with their "new Shiriff in town".
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    $55?

Its freekin $140 in Texas :yup
    Don't...the extra $85 allows you to protect your property.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The VA permit is honored in 27 states, so I don't see the need to pursue a FL or UT permit for me anyway. I think there are about 6 states that don't honor the VA CCW, and the only two I even care about are AL and GA for travel purposes. I think it really only matters if you are traveling regularly around the country to states your CCW is not honored. Other that that I don't see the purpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links