New to CCW > Gun Recommendations

This is a discussion on New to CCW > Gun Recommendations within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello! Obviously I am new to this whole CCW thing. but anyways, I'm 21, I just recently got my CCW. Im not new to guns, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello!

Obviously I am new to this whole CCW thing. but anyways, I'm 21, I just recently got my CCW. Im not new to guns, been hunting my entire life, but im new to pistols. I do not have a gun yet, my father has a Glock 17, that ive fired, ive also fired a whole range of other calibers and guns. I pretty certain I can handle a .45, but problem is I dont know too much about pistols to decide what I want to look at to see what fits me best. I know many people will say, see what fits you best, and I know that, I just need some recommendations to what I should look at. I am leaning towards a Glock or S&W because myself as well as my father working for a defense contractor, we can get either one of those at a pretty good price, Which is kind of a pain, because I don't want to limit myself to glock and S&W, but for the price, I cant help but look at them.

alittle about myself that may help.. im not a big guy, 5'10", 185lbs, and i have some small hands.

I like the G30 and G36, but i don't like the small mag on the 36, and mixed reviews about the recoil. any recommendations would be great. but the 30 seems kinda bulky.

Thanks!

It is really a personal choice. Any number of quality firearm makers to choose from. For me I EDC a Full Size S&W M&P 357Sig with Crimson Trace laser grip. This platform fits me perfect (6'4" 280lbs.) It is very easy to draw this weapon from a IWB holster and place 4-5shots in the vitals from 7-10yds. This setup might not fit you optimally so just like you said yourself, you really need to try and see what fits you best. Firearm makers like Horace Smith & Daniel B. Wesson, Glock, Springfield Armory, FNH, CZ all make quality firearms and I am sure you can find one to fit, sorry if I left off a quality firearm maker and I am sure I did but check out as many as you can, and be confident you will make the right choice.

I vote the Glock over S&W, because if you want to get rid of it later, you'll get your money back. I also have small hands and the 36 feels better, to me. You do get a smaller magazine, less capacity, but that's a trade off for easier concealment. CC is all about compromises. You've got to balance size and concealment...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thank you, I guess, I dont see myself getting in a gunfight where I would need many rounds, but you cant plan for when you will need to unholster your weapon. If it came down to it. 7 shots would be enough, that is if they all didnt miss. I dont go into "rough" areas often, but good or bad, you never know, so maybe carrying an extra mag wouldnt be a bad idea. but thats just more stuff hidden by a IWB, I would need to get a size or 2 bigger pants to fit it all :)

IMO, since you have already handled Glocks, get one and start carrying. In the mean time, you can learn more about other options for the future.

Worst case scenario, you decide to get rid of the Glock (which I strongly doubt), it will sell without effort, maybe for a profit, and buy a different gun.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

You'll not have problem with the Glock-36...it's my EDC.
    It has the thinnest grip of all the Glocks, and the 6 + 1 is not much different than the 7 + 1 1911's. It's easy enough to carry extra mags. IMHO

Stay armed...Go Glock...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm your size and weight, tho' hand size is 'average'. When I first started with handgunning (less than two years ago!) I spent a lot of time at the local indoor range where they had a wide variety of popular guns in different calibers to rent.

I rented and tried a lot of guns before deciding what to buy, and I'm very glad I did! As I got more shooting experience, read the reviews, and tried recommended guns for myself, the guns at the top of my list changed several times.

Ultimately I settled on two guns, a smaller one for concealed carry and a larger one for open carry, and have been very happy with my choices. I got a Kahr CW9 for the small gun, and a Springfield XD .45 Service model for the large gun.

Good luck to you in yours.

I would love to try out different guns at a range, but closest range is a good hour from me. Im not too worried about firing the gun, because at first, I wont be perfect shooting them all, since ive only probably put 150 rounds at most through various guns, I dont have much expierence. But after owning one, I feel I will be able to learn to shoot it very well with lots of practice.

I may go try and find a G36, and see how it fits in my hand. Which im sure it will be a good fit, then try a 30 and see how i like it. thanks for all your help everyone. any more input would be great.

I am about your size and I have found that I can carry a Glock 23 fairly well concealed. I prefer my Glock 27 for concealing while carrying a spare 22 mag. This will give me the 9+1 in the gun and a spare 15.

I am about your size also. I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II, with a UBG IWB holster, the slim grip is perfect for my hands.
    Get what you know you like now, and save up for something else later.
    Carrying a gun means I am prepared for one more eventuality than those who do not.

Its pretty much like Pepsi and Coke. Its all personal opinion. Just try a few out and see what feels good. Just make sure its a stopping power caliber..no 22's,25's and such. And not a cheapie brand(is your life worth a few more bucks?)

When I chose my XD40 it was mostly because it just felt really good in my hand compared to all the rest ,almost like it was custom made. But then I have buddies who hate the way it feels.

Its all about you.

I'll bet there are ranges closer than an hour away. Virginia is a gun friendly state. (except near DC).
    Whatever you get, you'll want to practice with it. 9mm. ammo is a lot cheaper than .45 so that may be a consideration. Also, there's carry, and then there's CARRY. Some folks feel okay carrying a full size and dressing around it. I happen to like the "smaller is better" because you are more likely to have it always on you.
    Don't rush the decision, go to a gun store and feel different guns, even if you can't shoot it there. Your hand will like one more than another. Then your budget will also play a roll. You may love that $1000 EMP but can't swing it. Both S&W and Glock make some fine firearms, so you won't get hurt on either one.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would go glock or SIG
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard!

As far as the "small mag on the Glock 36", you do your job and the Glock 36 with the small magazine will do it's!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

sgb
    Handguns like shoes must fit or they're not worth a darn. You need to find a range that rents handguns and try before you buy.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links