Smart ways to sell guns?

Smart ways to sell guns?

This is a discussion on Smart ways to sell guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to the gun world and only have one right now. But before I have a small arsenal, I want to know what are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smart ways to sell guns?

I'm new to the gun world and only have one right now. But before I have a small arsenal, I want to know what are the best ways to sell them to other good guys, if I needed to. A bill of sale, copy of drivers license, check for CCP, etc, what are the steps that need to be followed besides just collecting a wad of cash?

Nothing is required for a personal sale of a firearm. If it makes you feel better, you can create a bill of sale and include the personal information of the buyer.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

I just sold my Kahr 40 to a local city cop...I made up 2 bill of sales ...put my name/address/phone/date

then I put his name/address/phone/date...

we both signed it and then he got a copy...I got a copy....done...

Steve

I don't know if this answers your question adequately or not -
    It always seemed to me that playing it safe was worth maybe losing a few buck on a sale, so when I decided to sell my FNP40 and buy a Beretta, I just traded it in at an FFL. Easy transaction, clean, if the next owner has any problems it's Gander Mt's problem, etc. I feel I got a fair price from them, and like I say it was easy.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Specific web forums such as this one usually have a B/S/T forum. Many place ads in the local newspaper classifieds (I've done this a time or two). There are a few free sites for classifieds firearm listings such as this one: Gun Classifieds | Free Local Used and New Gun Classified Listings. Pistols, Rifles, Shotguns, Antique and Collectible Guns, and Gun Accessories. - gunlistings.org
    You could always rent a table at a local gun show for $40-$50. Some local gun dealers around here will let you sell on consignment as well. Many opportunities. Private sales are still legal in most places.

Quote Originally Posted by sixsccw View Post
    I don't know if this answers your question adequately or not -
    It always seemed to me that playing it safe was worth maybe losing a few buck on a sale, so when I decided to sell my FNP40 and buy a Beretta, I just traded it in at an FFL. Easy transaction, clean, if the next owner has any problems it's Gander Mt's problem, etc. I feel I got a fair price from them, and like I say it was easy.
    I like that option, but how much do you "eat it" on trade in value? It seems that in person to person transactions you get most of your money back on the sale. At least by thats what I see when I look at classifieds, if they really do sell at those prices.

As the seller you have nothing to worry about. You get a check or paypal from the guy, cash it, hand over the firearm. The buyer has more to worry about as he hands over the money first. Selling is cake.

Most of my buyers are C&R, so I have a copy of their license on hand from the transaction. If it wasn't required I wouldn't even ask for that on a sale.

I ask to see a FL driver license and CWL if offering a handgun. OK, that reduces the number of potential buyers but assures me I have a sale to a resident over 21 and to someone less likely to misuse it. ... or I take the loss at a dealer.

Problem with a dealer is I generally wind up trading up rather than selling.

Long guns? I haven't asked for anything yet, but I haven't had offers from anyone without gray hair. An age check (driver license) would be a good idea if you hang with a younger crowd.

In a face-to-face sale, I'd document the sale with a bill of sale as noted earlier, with both peoples' name and contact information. If you sell on a website auction or WTS forum on a site like this one, then the gun will have to go to be shipped to an FFL. In that case you'll have a copy of the FFL you sent it to and he'll have to do the paper work on the other end for the transfer. So you'd have a paper trail there also. The downside is the high cost of shipping it overnight and the auction fees, if any.

The easiest way is to trade it or just sell it outright to a reputable dealer. Gander Mountain was mentioned previously. I have sold directly to them on a couple occasions. They calculated what they could sell it for, then gave me 70% of that figure. You take a decent sized hit there. But you also aren't paying the $60 or so dollars to ship it somewhere either.

Depending on what you sell, you kind of have to weigh all that out and decide which way makes most sense. No matter how you do it, I'd get a paper trail to cover yourself should the gun ever show up in a crime scene.

cj
    Some good advice in here, but honestly, I've only ever sold one gun, and regretted it ever since.

Guns are for buying not selling!!! I, like cj above, have only sold one gun and have regretted ever since.
    MN

Why sell them? You don't have to feed them. They don't cost anything sitting the safe when not in use.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

I would make a duplicate bill of sale. One for him and one for me.
    Check his ID.
    Do the exchange in a public place for your protection. (not your house.)

I make up two bills of sale, one for each of us. I get a copy their driver's license. I get a copy of their carry permit or in MN we also have what is called a "Permit to Purchase a Handgun". This will show a background check was performed and they passed. I do not sell to anyone that does not have these forms or permits.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    Nothing is required for a personal sale of a firearm. If it makes you feel better, you can create a bill of sale and include the personal information of the buyer.
    Not so in NC with handguns. Buyer has to have a permit from his local sheriff or be in possesion of a valid NC CCL. Make 2 copies of it and his DL and KEEP a copy of them for your records.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links