I'm not sure I want to risk CCW out of state...

This is a discussion on I'm not sure I want to risk CCW out of state... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many of you know, I'm going to Blackwater in Moyock, NC. I can confirm this but, I'm pretty sure that NC recently entered into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

As many of you know, I'm going to Blackwater in Moyock, NC.

I can confirm this but, I'm pretty sure that NC recently entered into a reciprocity agreement with TN. However, it may not be that simple. I can envision an uninformed officer arresting me for carrying a concealed weapon. I'd miss at least part of my class if not all of it, may have to pay some big fees just because it's out of state, etc.

Last time I went, my buddy that was driving got pulled over for speeding, and it wound up costing him $300 because he had to have attorneys settle the issue because he was out of state. And, one of his neighbors was an attorney and helped him get through the mess.

Can you imagine what a gun charge would be like? It could wind up costing thousands of dollars just to defeat the charges. It sure makes you think.

1952 - 2006
    According to packing.org your NC CCW is good in TN.

I would print out the reciprocity agreement NC has with TN and carry it with me on the trip. It should alleviate any problems.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Senior Moderator
    Thanks, that may be the thing to do.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    my thoughts are dont speed and use your signals , that should about take care of the issues lol

Hey,,,from the Carolinas and your TN CCW is good man Before I got my CCW about 3 years ago Rode with a Buddy of mine to TN and he carried CCW.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Assistant Administrator
    Ron - apart from taking normal care, yes - do print out the state laws on carry - I did that recently when down in OK and felt better having them to refer to.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Someone already said it, but DON'T SPEED!

Printing out the reciprocity info is also a very good idea. You may want to look into their laws on whether divulging your carry status is compulsory or not. I know that in a couple states that if you are pulled over, you are not required to state that you have a weapon in the vehicle unless directly asked.
    "I've got a mind like a steel trap... things wander in, and get mangled."
    -Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526

They taught us in our CCW class in California that you do not have to divulge to an officer that you are carrying. In fact he said it is best not to because some over anxious officers end up taking your gun becuse they don't like CCW. But hey how would they know you are carrying anyways. Being as you are a CCW holder you are a more law abiding citizen than most anyways. There should be absolutely no reason to be in a situation that would put you in jeopardy anyways.

It took me awhile to get used to being around LE while carrying and thinking man, they can see right through my shirt. They can't....

In fact since I got my CCW I don't speed I make sure I am a much more courteous driver and things just don't upset you like they used to. I know I know I'm rambling..................................
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman
    They taught us in our CCW class in California that you do not have to divulge to an officer that you are carrying.
    The "in California" is the key phrase in your statement. It is required in some states, and failure to do so could get nasty.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Yes, definitely make sure you know the laws regarding this. In TX you MUST give your Permit to an officer that pulls you over for a traffic violation along with your DL and proof of insurance.
    Every state is different.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    The "in California" is the key phrase in your statement. It is required in some states, and failure to do so could get nasty.
    And in some states, I think when the officer runs the driver license check, etc. he is informed if the driver has a carry permit.

Senior Moderator
    Plus, I wonder if you show an officer a copy of a reciprocity agreement that he'd believe it if he hadn't been informed about it by his department. I don't mean to be over-reactive, but you can kinda see the officer calling in to verify the agreement, nobody there knows and so just to be safe, you wind up in the back of a patrol car.

Another consideration is that you are subject to that state's law regarding CCW, not your state's laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    ...Another consideration is that you are subject to that state's law regarding CCW, not your state's laws.
    That's why I suggested looking up the information for the states that you pass through, it should be available online. Some states also have a Peacable Journey law that allows you to transport through their state if they don't issue carry permits (NJ, for instance). The requirements are different for each state.
    "I've got a mind like a steel trap... things wander in, and get mangled."
    -Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526

Reciprocity

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    As many of you know, I'm going to Blackwater in Moyock, NC.

I can confirm this but, I'm pretty sure that NC recently entered into a reciprocity agreement with TN. However, it may not be that simple. I can envision an uninformed officer arresting me for carrying a concealed weapon. I'd miss at least part of my class if not all of it, may have to pay some big fees just because it's out of state, etc.

Last time I went, my buddy that was driving got pulled over for speeding, and it wound up costing him $300 because he had to have attorneys settle the issue because he was out of state. And, one of his neighbors was an attorney and helped him get through the mess.

Can you imagine what a gun charge would be like? It could wind up costing thousands of dollars just to defeat the charges. It sure makes you think.
    Yes it does, but as long as you don't look like a dirtbag and you're courteous to police, you're pretty much okay. I had a gun in my car even before NC had their own stae CCW permit. I just didn't carry it on my person, but it was always in my vehicle or when we got to the vacation cabin we rented, I kept it there. Sometimes, even waaaaay out in the woods things go "BUMP" in the night.

Since NC has passed reciprocity laws with other southern states, including Florida, I've been all over the south and NEVER had a problem with the police. But then I don't look like a dirtbag, I'm always kind and courteous to the police and my family is always with me. I don't fit many bad profiles. When we drove out to SanAntonio, Texas from Miami FL I carried the entire trip, both ways 24/7 and was fine. Never felt so safe in all my life.

I really wouldn't worry about it EXCEPT that I would familiarize myself with the differences between the two state laws. For example in FL I can take ny gun into a restaurant that sells liquor as long as I don't sit at the bar and sit in the restaurant portion. But then, I can go off to see a movie and no problems. As I understand it, in NC you can't carry a gun anywhere entrance requires a payment in the form of a ticket or whatever. Like movie theatres. It's always the little things that can come back to bite you in the A$$.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    This was interesting:

NC law:
    Must inform Law Enforcement when Carrying

"Any person who has a concealed handgun permit...shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer."
    ( 14-415.11(a))

It is also interesting that you cannot carry in public events, apparently you can't carry if you're watching a parade.

You also cannot carry in finacial institutions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links