Are Texas gun shows off-limits for carrying concealed?

This is a discussion on Are Texas gun shows off-limits for carrying concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may be an obvious question, but I seem to remember reading that it is against Texas law to carry a licensed handgun while at ...

Thread: Are Texas gun shows off-limits for carrying concealed?

Are Texas gun shows off-limits for carrying concealed?

This may be an obvious question, but I seem to remember reading that it is against Texas law to carry a licensed handgun while at a gun show in Texas. However, I can't find the law in my "Texas Concealed Handgun Law Handbook."

I'm going to a gun show for the first time on Saturday. If you happen to know where the law is cited, please let me know. Thanks!
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

2. Remove Ads

They aren't off limits according to Texas law.

On the other hand, I understand that the insurance companies for the shows often require them to prohibit carry. A gun show is the only place that I have seem that had an unquestionably valid 30.06 sign. If you are carrying, they require it to be unloaded, and they place a ziptie on it to show it has been checked.

Quote Originally Posted by hirundo82
    They aren't off limits according to Texas law.

On the other hand, I understand that the insurance companies for the shows often require them to prohibit carry. A gun show is the only place that I have seem that had an unquestionably valid 30.06 sign. If you are carrying, they require it to be unloaded, and they place a ziptie on it to show it has been checked.
    That has been my experience also. Honestly, if there was only one place I'd feel perfectly safe not carrying (besides home), it would be at a gun show. Can you imagine the total moron it would take to want to try and rob a place with thousands of guns and hundreds of people who know how to use them, a good number current or former LEO's probably! Not that it wouldn't/couldn't happen, but I'd like to be there to see what happens if a doped up nut case walks in and says' "This is a stick up".
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

VIP Member
    Not that it wouldn't/couldn't happen, but I'd like to be there to see what happens if a doped up nut case walks in and says' "This is a stick up".
    first thing you would hear this huge burst of hysterical laughter. Next the sound of hundred of guns being loaded and people screaming DIBS! and finally somebody would have to get a mop and clean the fecal matter where the idiotic BGs were standing.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Should I carry up to the entrance and see what the rule is? And in the event that I can carry but it has to be unloaded, does that mean I can't keep a loaded mag on my hip either?

It's my first trip to a gun show (though you wouldn't think it from the guns I own).

I'm less concerned about being mugged at a gun show, and more concerned with having my gun stolen out of the vehicle in the parking lot.

This is the gun show in Denton, TX on Saturday. Thanks.

I just called the folks in charge of the gun show. (What a novel idea!)

The lady said that the gun has to be unloaded and that I can carry it concealed (if the rules permit), but they will put a gun tie on it at the door. She also said she wasn't sure if I could carry a spare mag on me while there. Hmm...

Assistant Administrator
    At Market Hall Gun Show in Dallas when I was there back in 2003 - it was IIRC no guns - or otherwise empty and no ammo - their rules I guess.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It makes perfect sense, doesn't it!? All those guns in such close proximity with each other...they all might just start going off!!!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I have been present at a couple of gun shows where there were NDs!

No solid info, but my impression is that they are more worried about the guy who brings his loaded & holstered gun in and then proceeds to unholster to try different holsters, etc. at the show. Many yahoos at these shows "sight" the guns they pick up on other attendees at the shows. I've had it happen to me and some friends (another retired LEO and his Son) at various shows. Since I volunteer for our state gun org at some gun shows, I become keenly aware of what others are doing within close proximity of me. [In one case I even sent the detail officer (a 1911 collector) to chat with the moron picking up the scoped rifle and aiming it at us. I told the officer to tell that moron that if he did it again, he'd see my gun pointed back at him thru the scope . . . and mine was loaded!]

I'm not defending the rules and if everyone followed the safety rules it would not be an issue. Regrettably many attendees don't seem to have "clue one" on any gun safety rules.

I really think it is up to the management companies of either (a) who is putting on the show, or (b) who makes the rules for the building the show is held in.

At the gun show in Abilene, Tx every couple of months, it is perfectly legal to carry concealed. That same gun show management company applies the same rules at other gun shows in this area that they put on. When I called them and asked, they said sure you can carry as long as you keep it concealed. But if you are wanting to try that gun in a holster for sale, or with different grips, etc., we ask that it be checked at the door to make sure it is empty, then zip tied like all the other guns entering the building.

Made sense to me, and I have been to several shows there in the past year.

So, considering that they post a valid 30.06, would you clear it right there, hand it to the officer to clear or head to the car to do it? I wouldn't think having a loaded mag would be an issue considering you could buy mags and ammo on site. Then again, I've seen many dealers sell firearms without zip ties on them. Not sure what the requirements are for that either.

Hi,
    I was at that show in Denton (there's another one in July). It looked to me like the rules were, as has been stated, all firearms get a zip tie regardless.
    In practice I saw several people carrying openly without zip ties. I don't know if they were LEO or what. They didn't look the part though.

I, personally, don't bring guns to gunshows unless I'm selling. Too much temptation.

I was curious about the unloading proceedure as well. I would probably take the magazine out at my car, but is there a real etiquette?

I think that now that I know they'll be zipping my pistol, I'll probably unload in the car and just carry it empty. I guess it should be treated as if you were walking up to a business displaying a proper 30.06 sign. I'll ask at the next gun show. I'm sure I'll get a wide eyed look when I ask him if I should hand a loaded pistol to the LEO. I think commons sense will reign here..........I've seen plenty of people carry openly at shows. Maybe it's so they can go Rambo for the day, but I guess everyone there is carryng around a gun of some sort so brandishing doesn't really apply. Seems odd that a CHL holder can carry a loaded firearm anywhere but a gun show. If they're responsible enough all over the state, they should be at a gun show. Guess there have been problems in the past though. a few rotten apples.........

Links