Native American "Indian" Gun Laws

This is a discussion on Native American "Indian" Gun Laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tonight while I was checking a Nevada "open carry" forum I discovered a question that I could not answer with any degree of certainty whatsoever. ...

Thread: Native American "Indian" Gun Laws

Native American "Indian" Gun Laws

Tonight while I was checking a Nevada "open carry" forum I discovered a question that I could not answer with any degree of certainty whatsoever. Any help on your part would be greatly appreciated.

The question involved the current law on Native American (aka Indian) gun law in the state of Nevada. I "googled" Native American Gun law and the only reference I could find was a forum posting in 2004.

According to the posting by the local member in the Las Vegas area, the poster believes that he WILL be entering into Native American land. He does not know what the law is regarding firearms.

I'm looking for ANY suggestions to give this forum poster a even some basic firearms law on tribal lands. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did trying to locate tribal gun laws.

Thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by Pikachu711; November 8th, 2009 at 02:37 PM.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

2. Remove Ads

Tribal lands are considered sovereign and you need to check with the tribal authorities about what their specific laws are regarding firearms. I believe (and IANAL) that Federal Peaceable Journey laws apply in transporting firearms on roads that pass through Native American lands.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Endowment Member

Red face Sovereign Land

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Tribal lands are considered sovereign and you need to check with the tribal authorities about what their specific laws are regarding firearms. I believe (and IANAL) that Federal Peaceable Journey laws apply in transporting firearms on roads that pass through Native American lands.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    That thought did cross my mind this when I read this members initial posting. The last thing I want to do is even suggest ANY advice that might get this member is any potential illegal issues.

If I knew what Tribe was the authority on that sovereign nation I would suggest that they contact that nation for the particulars on firearm laws on that Native American land.

Thanks for your suggestion!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

You do have the right to travel through (peaceable journey) indian reservations, but don't stop...for anything...this will keep you out of difficulties.
    Laws about firearms vary from tribe to tribe and you do have to contact each specific tribe to find out their specific laws, but driving through is safe as long as you stay on the main (state/fed) road...no sight seeing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You do have the right to travel through (peaceable journey) indian reservations, but don't stop...for anything...this will keep you out of difficulties.
    Laws about firearms vary from tribe to tribe and you do have to contact each specific tribe to find out their specific laws, but driving through is safe as long as you stay on the main (state/fed) road...no sight seeing.
    Yep

Thats how it is in OK.

VIP Member
    Here the Paiutes have a sign as you enter the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation that clearly says "NO GUNS"! I do believe they mean it too!

In their on-line visitors information hand out it says:

Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation
    26.1 FIREARMS. No firearms are permitted to be transported by non-Tribal members onto the Reservation or possessed or used by non-Tribal members within the exterior boundaries of the Reservation. Special Permits Request can only be approved by Tribal Council.

I'm sure you can find that information on line down south as I did up north!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links