Somewhat off topic....

Somewhat off topic....

This is a discussion on Somewhat off topic.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologise for this being somewhat off topic but I am not sure where else to post. I sort of asked this question in another ...

Thread: Somewhat off topic....

Somewhat off topic....

I apologise for this being somewhat off topic but I am not sure where else to post. I sort of asked this question in another thread but I want to be very clear about it. I am a Canadian and there is a possibility that I will be moving to Buffalo, New York for school. I would be there on a student visa. My gun rights are severely curtailed in Canada but at least I am allowed to own and shoot at a gun club. As a Canadian in NY state on a student visa, will I be able to buy guns at all? What about bringing my guns with me and keeping them at my apartment there? I am really confused about this.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

This may help. You might have to contact the sheriff of the county where you want to be licensed. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

This may help. You might have to contact the sheriff of the county where you want to be licensed. Good luck.
    Thank-you for the reply. I am familiar with the carry laws. What I want to know is about my ability to buy guns.

I'm not for sure...but I would say no, you can't purchase.....from a store anyway. I'm a citizen & CO resident and I cant even buy from Nebraska. With NY gun laws...... even NY residents cant buy guns! LMAO!! Ok...maybe a bit out there......but I would put money down that most any state will restrict you while on VISA.
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Quote Originally Posted by ibesarcasm View Post
    I'm not for sure...but I would say no, you can't purchase.....from a store anyway. I'm a citizen & CO resident and I cant even buy from Nebraska. With NY gun laws...... even NY residents cant buy guns! LMAO!! Ok...maybe a bit out there......but I would put money down that most any state will restrict you while on VISA.
    Okay, so I can't buy from a store. What are my other options?

IIRC, no.

My spouse was from a foriegn country, and in the United States on a "Permanent Resident Alien Visa" so she was able to, if she wanted to. Student Visas are not considered as status to gain residence here in the United States, but rather only here to legally attend school. After obtaining the desired education you are expected to go back to your country of origin.

The Permanent Resident Alien status shows that you desire to live here permanently and is one of the steps towards citizenship. The answer to your question also lies in state laws, which vary greatly I believe.

Biker

I'm almost 100% sure you won't be able to buy a gun. In fact some ranges won't let you shoot pistols with out a valid NYS permit. I wouldn't encourage you to do a private sale. What is it that you want to bring into NY? A rifle, shot gun, do you want to hunt or are you looking for something for personal protection?

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    IIRC, no.

My spouse was from a foriegn country, and in the United States on a "Permanent Resident Alien Visa" so she was able to, if she wanted to. Student Visas are not considered as status to gain residence here in the United States, but rather only here to legally attend school. After obtaining the desired education you are expected to go back to your country of origin.

The Permanent Resident Alien status shows that you desire to live here permanently and is one of the steps towards citizenship. The answer to your question also lies in state laws, which vary greatly I believe.

Biker
    Right Biker.....

Your only other option is to find an unscupulous person to sell you a gun..... which would mean you could be a criminal and imprisioned if caught with it......because I'm pretty sure you won't get a license to carry in NY. This I dont condone, and neither does the forum.
    IMO, your best bet is to ride it out, or stay in Canada, or become a resident of the USA. Bout your only 3 options that are legal. But I am no lawyer.....your welcome to check NY state laws, I could be WAY off base.........
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Sorry..... I did miss the part about bringing your guns with you...... of that I am really not sure......MAYBE if you notify customs....... I really don't know..... your best bet is to call customs and ask them if they will allow it....... also check with the state about storing them in your apartment while your here....... I KNOW you aren't gonna get to carry one.......and prolly can't buy one.........

GM
    I might be wrong, but it is my belief that you must have a green card or be citizen of the US in order to legally buy or possess a firearm. I do not think a student visa will allow you to legally do any of them. But like I said, I might be wrong. Why do not you contact some serious FFL dealer in the area there you will live and explain them the situation? They might be able to answer your questions or at least find the right answers for you.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I live in Buffalo. Call the Pistol Permit Office of Erie County, the county that Buffalo is in: (716) 858-6600. They're quite nice. Ask your questions about guns there. When it comes to guns: get it from the horse's mouth. Why? Because violating Gun Law in NY and many states is a major offense and ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I am sure without a NY State Pistol License you cannot keep handguns in your residence here. But ask them for official information like I said. As far as the border, Federal authorities will have the information. The US and Canada's. Ask both. At the range I shoot at, I believe Canadian gun-owners do shoot there sometimes. So, there must be some way to transport for that purpose. But you can't live here with a handgun without a permit. Call the US Customs and Immigrations Offices here. You can get the numbers from a Buffalo directory. Ask them about these questions of transport. Perhaps your gun-club could also give you informal advice. But no matter what they say: ask US Customs (and Canadian Customs about getting BACK with guns.) Seems to me at best you would only be able to bring them in for the day to shoot. BUT ASK THEM.

Getting a Pistol Permit here (Erie County) is not that difficult - unless it's Unrestricted Carry and even that is not really so hard after a year with a target/hunting permit. These categories of restrictions are imposed by some counties. Erie County does. They are county-administrative ordinances, not NY State Gun Laws. The State itself normally issues nothing but Carry Permits. The counties administrate the process of application and decision and any County restrictions they may add to the permit. In spite of its reputation, it is not hard outside of New York City to get a handgun permit in NY State.

New York City is its own world. It is close to impossible to get a permit for New York City, at least for Carry, and a special permit is needed. The normal State permit cannot be used there. FORGET NEW YORK CITY.

In the rest of the State, to apply for a State Permit you have to be a resident. And you have to have been one for a period - what it is I don't know. Ask the Permit Office.

But even if you can apply, it takes a LONG time now to get a permit. It always did - mine was 9 mos. But now it is a year or more because there are many applying - same all over the US - fear of the Obama Administration and Gun Control.

Good luck, Send me a private message if you want. But, for now: Get your info from the proper authorities. If you're on a Visa, you have a second reason for being sure of what you are doing. If you're skirting gun laws and from another country - you will have a multitude of problems and scrutiny from more Fed and Other Agencies than you want to ever know existed. Don't Screw Around! - even unintentionally! I know that. I'm on the faculty of a University here. I have foreign students regularly. I know what I am talking about. Tread Lightly about Guns!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Sorry, I missed the question entirely. Buy a firearm.
    http://www.atf.gov/applications/e447...ser-manual.pdf

I have to fill out this form when I buy. I notice there are questions about citizenship and visa status on the form. You may know the answers about the type of visa you will have. Hope this helps.

Wow! thanks guys! Lots of great replies. :)

Gun laws

Quote Originally Posted by ibesarcasm View Post
    but I would put money down that most any state will restrict you while on VISA.
    On the contrary. In Florida, you can buy guns and even be issued a CWP even if you are a forign national. Its called a non resident permit. Its a bit more complicated than being a citizen, but do-able.Go into a gun store and plop the CWP on the table, and they will sell you whatever you want.

May I ask, what do you want the gun for? Target shooting? Concealed carry? Hunting?
    Do you want a rifle, or pistol?
    If is a pistol, forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    On the contrary. In Florida, you can buy guns and even be issued a CWP even if you are a forign national. Its called a non resident permit. Its a bit more complicated than being a citizen, but do-able.Go into a gun store and plop the CWP on the table, and they will sell you whatever you want.

May I ask, what do you want the gun for? Target shooting? Concealed carry? Hunting?
    Do you want a rifle, or pistol?
    If is a pistol, forget it.
    And to think all these times I have gone to Florida an been unarmed! haha. AS for what I want guns for, all of the above. :)

Sponsored Links