Getting a concealed carry permit in VA

This is a discussion on Getting a concealed carry permit in VA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; VA requires you to take some sort of handgun course to be able to apply for a concealed carry permit. If I were to take ...

Thread: Getting a concealed carry permit in VA

Getting a concealed carry permit in VA

VA requires you to take some sort of handgun course to be able to apply for a concealed carry permit. If I were to take such a course when I was 20-years-old, would I be able to use that to apply as soon as I turn 21? Or would I have to take a course when I am 21?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
    VA requires you to take some sort of handgun course to be able to apply for a concealed carry permit. If I were to take such a course when I was 20-years-old, would I be able to use that to apply as soon as I turn 21? Or would I have to take a course when I am 21?
    There is no expiration date on safety training, it will still be good. If you have a hunter safety card from when you were ten it will work.

I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

take it anytime and it will be good
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

VIP Member
    Note above post -- it is gun safety training, not just a handgun course.

See Virginia State Police - Resident Concealed Handgun Permits

1.Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
    2.Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    3.Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
    4.Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    5.Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
    6.Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
    7.Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
    8.Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
    9.Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
    A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

No applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire.
    [Emphasis added]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Your class doesn't even have to include a demonstration of proficiency on the range; it can be completely online. Pay your fee, read the course material, pass a quiz and print out your certificate of completion. See The Concealed Carry Institute (Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class - The Concealed Carry Institute).

On the other hand, just because the CHP sets the minimum level of training required, doesn't mean you must or should seek the minimum level of competence. I would encourage you to seek as much quality training as you can afford in marksmanship, armed self-defense, and the martial arts. If the first course you take is a handgun/gun safety course that meets the criteria for the training/safety requirement for the CHP, then great!
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom357 View Post
    On the other hand, just because the CHP sets the minimum level of training required, doesn't mean you must or should seek the minimum level of competence. I would encourage you to seek as much quality training as you can afford in marksmanship, armed self-defense, and the martial arts. If the first course you take is a handgun/gun safety course that meets the criteria for the training/safety requirement for the CHP, then great!
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Absolutely

The questions of "What the government does/should require?" vs. "What the responsible individual does/should do?" are total different and not related, IMHO.

To the antis "shall not be infringed" does not mean what I read it to mean. I have heard their testimony and rabble-rousing speeches. Their "I support the 2A, but..." is the code for "let's raise the bureaucratic requirements too the level of or above those of MD, NY, NJ, Fort Hood, etc."

I, too, strongly support all the training and practice you can afford. However, I know the goal of the antis is to require training and practice be mandated beyond what you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Your class doesn't even have to include a demonstration of proficiency on the range; it can be completely online. Pay your fee, read the course material, pass a quiz and print out your certificate of completion. See The Concealed Carry Institute (Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class - The Concealed Carry Institute).

See # 7 im my post above.

7.Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
    Last edited by DaveH; November 9th, 2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Quotes & replies out of order 'Cut & paste" mess up
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links