A hypothetical situation

This is a discussion on A hypothetical situation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Colorado no permit is required to conceal a handgun in your car. Not having your permit creates a "rebuttable presumption" that you don't have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A hypothetical situation

In Colorado no permit is required to conceal a handgun in your car. Not having your permit creates a "rebuttable presumption" that you don't have one (IOW) you get a ticket and when you go to court you show them a CHP dated prior to the date you were ticketed and the case is thrown out.

I'f I got pulled over in that situation I'd be honest but I wouldn't bring up the fact that I'm carrying unless I was specifically asked.

2. Remove Ads

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I do a mental checklist before leaving the house...my wife double that list by asking me again, it's our routine ...
    I guess I have to get a wife then (just joking).

For a long time ago, before getting my CCW permit, I lost my wallet with DL, credit cards and everything, and I did not realize it until it was time to pay for my lunch. It was not a funny situation then, and it should be worse now when I carry daily. I have an expired DL from other state; perhaps I should put it in the car; It might help to prove who I am.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

It's dependent on whether or not your CWP is ties to your DL or license plate. In Tennessee they're tied to your DL. It'll show up on there when the officer runs it through NCIC.

I don't remember too much about out of state DL's or license plates. It's been 7 years since the last time I ran an NCIC terminal.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Let me tell you that this situation scares the life out of me, but it could happen to any of us.

I take it that you forget your wallet on a regular basis, eh?

I don't think they are gonna haul you off and throw you in jail... Although... in some States, they might.

Most States are gonna make it sting just a little by imposing a citation and a fine.

Here in Missouri, they can run you through the DMV computer and it will show that you have a CCW endorsement, however they will probably issue the fine anyway just to make it sting a little for being irresponsible.

The last time I left my Drivers License/wallet at home, I can't even remember. It hasn't happened in decades for sure.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I take it that you forget your wallet on a regular basis, eh?
    Do not be so sure about it . Fortunately I do not use to forget my wallet; I always put it in the same place along with the car’s keys. It is a habit like always locking the door. But like I wrote in my ad before, I lost it once, and it could happen again. That is what makes me worry.
    Oh yes .... just for your information, I rather forget my wallet
    Last edited by GM; November 8th, 2009 at 10:58 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    In TX, the LEO can run you and the CHL would show up. However, in TX anyone can carry in their vehicle, as long as they can legally own a handgun...

So, you'd get 2 citations...traffic violation + no DL
    You would be surprised how many times I have to explain that to the sheeple in this town.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    You would be surprised how many times I have to explain that to the sheeple in this town.
    No I wouldn't be surprised at all... I'm not that far from you... and it never surprises me, based on the look I get when I tell someone...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It may not be worth the paper but I keep a copy of my DL, State ID, CHL, and Passport cover page in a little brief case that goes everywhere with me.

I also have copies of these documents stored on my iPhone.

If nothing else it is a starting point for showing my true identity, and that except for the lost wallet or forgotten wallet I'd be fully legal.

All of that said, it has been my "nightmare" scenario that while shopping in "the city" 100 miles from home, my wallet got lifted and there I was needing to drive home without DL or CHL.
    Make sure you have that locked in some fashion on your Iphone. There are several free apps at the app store that you can do that with. If someone were to get your phone, access to those documents would not be good. I work in the identity theft world, and when you see what these POS's can do with your stuff, you get very aware of your risk.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

It's already been stated, but in Colorado you don't need a permit to lawfully carry in your car. The LEO can also see your license status (valid, suspended, revoked, denied) in their computer. The LEO can also see if you have a CCW in their computer. However, it is still violation to carry concealed in public without your actual permit. They may cite you for the driver's license violation, but you bring it to court and they drop the charges.
    Last edited by Intrepid; November 8th, 2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added info

The LEO can also see if you have a CCW in their computer.
    This is not always true, it varies by county. It depends on whether or not your County Sheriff adds your name to the CICS. In my county (El Paso) the Sheriff does not.

CRS 198-12-204 (2)(2) (a) A permittee, in compliance with the terms of a permit, may carry a concealed handgun as allowed by state law. The permittee shall carry the permit, together with valid photo identification, at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun and shall produce both documents upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Failure to produce a permit upon demand by a law enforcement officer raises a rebuttable presumption that the person does not have a permit. Failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand as required in this subsection (2) is a class 1 petty offense. A charge of failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand pursuant to this subsection (2) shall be dismissed by the court if, at or before the permittee's scheduled court appearance, the permittee exhibits to the court a valid permit and valid photo identification, both of which were issued to the permittee prior to the date on which the permittee was charged with failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

I also have copies of these documents stored on my iPhone.
    That is actually a very good idea! I think I am going to do that if I can find a way to secure the docs in the event my phone gets lost/stolen. It would have to help a little at least.

I can find a way to secure the docs in the event my phone gets lost/stolen.
    Lock the phone. The carrier can unlock it but they have to "wipe" the whole phone to do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links