nutnfancy (sheepdogs)

This is a discussion on nutnfancy (sheepdogs) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Treo When I hear people talking sheepdog I get nervous because it usually means somebody's looking to be a hero. Oh for ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: nutnfancy (sheepdogs)

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    When I hear people talking sheepdog I get nervous because it usually means somebody's looking to be a hero.
    Oh for God's sake get over it. Grossman's Sheepdog analogy is just that: an analogy. It's not perfect. All it means is that if possible, you help out the other people who are not trained or equipped, mentally or physically, to stand up to the bad guys.

As a martial artist for over 25 years, I have always viewed myself as a sheepdog, and it has nothing to do with whatever weapon I'm carrying, or not carrying. I teach my students the same attitude.

Fortunately our society has many more people who will look out for others, and extend themselves beyond the primitive, the tribal attitude of "As long as me or mine are not threatened, it's not my problem."

Nutnfancy always tempers his comments by emphasizing that you do what's legal in your area, and what's logical to you. I actually like the long-windedness, the detail is fantastic.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

2. Remove Ads

It's been my impression that the people that get the maddest are the ones for whom my comments hit closest to home

Administrator
    I'll weigh in... I like nutnfancy. Do I agree 100% with him? No. But for the most part I do. He has a lot of good info, and his videos are good quality and cover a lot of subject matter. Is there some mall ninja theatrics? Yeah... but only enough to make them entertaining and keep peoples attention.

About the sheepdog thing. Yeah, its way way over used. It is simply a analogy that Grossman gets the credit for. I happen to personally know Grossman. He never intended for the analogy to become what it has. Most people don't get what it really is, and it has been bastardized by its popularity.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll weigh in... I like nutnfancy. Do I agree 100% with him? No. But for the most part I do. He has a lot of good info, and his videos are good quality and cover a lot of subject matter. Is there some mall ninja theatrics? Yeah... but only enough to make them entertaining and keep peoples attention.

About the sheepdog thing. Yeah, its way way over used. It is simply a analogy that Grossman gets the credit for. I happen to personally know Grossman. He never intended for the analogy to become what it has. Most people don't get what it really is, and it has been bastardized by its popularity.
    I concure.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Two thumbs up!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Hi,

I am sure that you guys have heard of nutnfancy on youtube, but I wanted to make sure that those who have not heard of him get a chance.

I honestly feel that this guy has stepped up and has been an advocate for our rights. He is pro family and pro gun, but at the end of the day I think his views of gun control and rights are pretty spot on. By the way, I love his desktop reviews of guns and what he calls things that are dangerous.

I hope that I can share his honest (even sometimes ******* me off reviews) and commentary. A day or two before Fort Hood, he made a video about civilian sheepdogs that brought me to tears and left me thinking about my family and friends. Rock on nutnfancy!

YouTube - nutnfancy's Channel
    I like the site and reviews, real informative but man can he talk.

I like him. I use headphones, and flip over to another page while listening to him, then flip back when needed.

Hey C Hawk, thanks for showing him to the Forum. I've watched a number of his clips and really like his style, good stuff. I should have thought of it, good on you...

Sheepdogs used to be called responsible citizens...ready to help their neighbors when they needed it. That trait is so far removed in today’s society that it’s foreign to a lot of people.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I try to keep in mind the potential legal costs of discharging my firearm, which averages about $10k in legal fees and could include jail time or civil suit.

I can't, however, say that I would 'only' defend myself and my family, or even those people I know and love. There are all kinds of scenarios that could come up; my first impulse will be towards myself and my family, next to see what else to do. We'll see what happens if it happens. I would be very happy to go through my whole life without the need to draw my weapon in anger.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I've read Grossman (but not most of this thread).

According to him...true sheepdogs are uncommon....and almost unnatural in their instincts. Certainly far from the norm.

This last sentence, I think, is why so many other people adopt this appellation.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I think there's something wrong with a man that talks about himself in the third person all the time.
    Doing that all the time he reminds me for Duane Barry from the X-Files.
    The whole time I watched him I was thinking ,"They not going to get Nutnfancy"
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I don't agree or disagree with you on the use of the sheepdog analogy, but just curious where one gets experience of "heroes getting somebody killed?"

What you have never seen the 'Don't be a hero, they will die' dvd series?!?!??
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Love the videos - each is like a visit by a old friend.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I have been aware of NutnFancy for a couple years now. I have absolutely no problem with him or his videos. He is a good resource and for all of us and I am sure he is a great person.

I have read on a few occasions where people went to be the hero and ended up shooting someone. I guess depending on how you look at it they were a hero but at the same time did the person they shot and possibly killed need to be shot or killed or did the involvement of the so called hero escalate the situation to the point that someone had to get shot. My point here is that I would not stand there and watch some guy beat the crap out of someone and I would not allow a knife wielding person to stab someone but I also would not approach a guy yelling has butt off at someone and then piss him off even more to the point that I have to shoot him. I would call the cops and be a good witness. I would try to let him know that he was being watched but I would not want to provoke the situation. This is the grey area. Some people just want to be the hero and some just want to help others. A real hero does not want fame, gratitude or an adrenaline high. So with all that said we are right back to where we always end up when it comes to owning and carrying guns. Common sense will tell us when to get involved and when not to. If you carry a gun then you should carry something less lethal as well because if you want to be a savior then you should have all the tools of the trade, not just a gun.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links