Defensive Carry banner

My Daughter Finally noticed my Gun

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
Sitting around the house yesterday watching a movie with the fam. I reached up under my button-up denim shirt to scratch my back and my daughter belts out, "Dad Is that your GUN!"

It became a good opportunity to discuss the matter with her:
"Dad's job is to protect you and there are bad people who might try to hurt us, so I sometimes have a gun. Of course anytime you have questions or want to see my gun, just ask and I'll show you how to be safe with it. Oh and this is NOT something we tell other people about." :yup:

The funny things is that she has hugged me while I was carrying a million times. I seriously thought she knew I carried a long time ago. Part of me thinks she must have known all along, but wanted a chance to talk about it.

Gotta love kids. :image035:

#3 ·
I recall the change in our house over the last few years. When I first got my permit, and handgun my kids were slightly nervous.

That's changed. A few months ago, we went to the childrens museum and before we left, my 5 year old of all people said "Daddy, wheres your gun" and I explained the no carry policy and the nice policemen there who would protect us while I couldn't legally do so. (which is crap but w/e) She accepted it.

A few days later she asked while we were on our way to the state park and I confirmed I was packing, which is not something we talk about around others outside of our home. Anyhow, she doesn't ask much now, but she's more comfortable with me being armed. My two boys take interest but are slightly less concerned either way.

We're in a different situation though. We had a dirt bag try to climb my fence and hurt one of the kids. The dog took him down by ripping his nose off (off, really... off) but did so in front of the kids. So they see BG bleeding and the police almost taser him and haul him away and suddenly they realize the world for what is is much sooner than I wish they had.

I just questioned my daughter, pretty textbook.

Me- Why do you think I carry a pistol?

Sis- to protect us and keep us safe

Me- How does it keep us safe?

Sis- hmmmm. So bad guys can't hurt me and my brothers.

yeah, kind of a bit of a 2a house here now.

We try to explain that not everyone is a threat, and only a small portion of society is a risk. We try to explain that people for the most part are good. Had the guy not tried to kidnap one of them and get his nose ripped off, they'd still not have any clue what "bad guys" are, but sadly they've seen with their own eyes already.

#4 ·
#6 ·
The next question will be: "When can I get my own?"

#8 ·
She's 8. And she is also a great shot, so far she likes the .22 and bb gun. (She was hitting 1" group with the bb gun at 5 yards and she can empty a 10 round clip in the .22 pistol faster than I can load them).

She is also super safety conscious. My son who is two years younger has more interest in my guns and has shot just about everything in my collection. Both kids know the NRA Eddie Eagle rules by heart.

Whenever she goes to the gun shop with me she likes to eye the pink Little Cricket .22 rifle. I'm still in "discussion" with her mom about whether or not our little girl gets her own rifle. :blink:

ImChad, that's a rough story, glad your dog was there for the dirtbag's facial reconstruction.

#14 ·
She's 8. And she is also a great shot, so far she likes the .22 and bb gun. (She was hitting 1" group with the bb gun at 5 yards and she can empty a 10 round clip in the .22 pistol faster than I can load them).
I met a 16 year old girl at an IPSC competition. She shot better than many of the adult men. When I asked her about boys, she said that she had no trouble attracting them, but when they found out she shot guns, they all ran for the hills. That strategy may come in handy later. :yup:

Whenever she goes to the gun shop with me she likes to eye the pink Little Cricket .22 rifle. I'm still in "discussion" with her mom about whether or not our little girl gets her own rifle. :blink:
I hear Christmas gift written all over that.

or even better

#9 ·
You sound like my family.

My two children (now both adults with their own children) started shooting on their 6th birthdays. It was my birthday gift to them. Though neither of them are active shooters today, they both have a healthy respect for firearms and are teaching the same thing, with my help, to my grandchildren.

#10 ·
When my daughter was young she used to say "are ya packen dad" I would just say yes honny it dads job, she would say "shoot to kill" so where did she get that stuff. It had to be me, as my wife would say you teach her that. Well my daughter hung around the cool parent, we went shooting alot.

#11 ·
Just my opinion Pastor but, I would not have waited until she "discovered" the gun on you to have this talk. She could have just as easily caught a glimpse of it when you all were out in a public place and blurted it out loud enough for anyone to hear.

We have 5 kids and we (my wife and I both carry every day) did not hide the fact from our kids. We explained it to them each when they were about 3 or so. This completely took the "secret" aspect out of the whole thing and as a result, my kids are way more surprised when they realize that someone is NOT carrying than if they find out that they are. I have actually heard my kids say to each other in a hushed but surprised tone that someone didn't have a gun on when they saw the person remove a jacket or other article of clothing that they assumed was a cover garment.

#12 ·
It wasn't so much that I was waiting, I just assumed she already knew. She has literally hugged my EDC hundreds of times.

I usually look for those teachable moments with my kids to talk about things that are important to our family, whether it be guns, our faith, etc.

Your kids sound priceless, cool story. :hand10:

#15 · (Edited)
A pink rifle huh :hand5:

seriously thats great! Your kids being exposed to firearms AND THEIR SAFE HANDLING is what SHOULD be taught instead of society teaching the fear of them.

Plus once your kid knows how to clean a rifle you can teach her how to clean the rest of your guns :king: :comeandgetsome: :image035:

#16 ·
My daughter started going to the range with me about 5 years ago.She now is in a pretty elite group that part of her duties are guarding White House folks.Pretty proud of her.Needless to say she is a much better shot than me now.

#17 ·
Nice going for you and the kids understanding that you are armed to protect the family. Bravo.

I started my kids on being around guns at a very early age. I would clean a gun and the kids would watch me. I started my daughter shooting at age 3. Shooting a .22 that I bought her before the swim. I bought a .22 for my son at the same age. We would go out to the range and shoot as a family until my daughter decided that shooting was boreing. Now 20yrs old, guns are "Daddy`s" thing.

The son on the other hand loves to shoot every chance we get. He will be 17 soon. Having the same interests with your kids is a blessing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.