Banks... Federal Institutions?

This is a discussion on Banks... Federal Institutions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SO I recently had an informal chat with a new bank manager. He was concerned about the safety of the bank during the holidays. No ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banks... Federal Institutions?

SO I recently had an informal chat with a new bank manager. He was concerned about the safety of the bank during the holidays. No surprises here.

During the conversation he stated that a LEO had mentioned to him to get a Anti-weapons sign put on each door. (We all know that doesn't stop the BG, but...)

He stated, since then he researched it and found that his bank was a Federal Institution so he was covered already and didn't need signs.

When did this happen?
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Senior Moderator
    It didn't happen. The bank might be insured by the FDIC, but it is not federal property.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Let me get this straight. After speaking with a LEO that he has to put up the "anti-gun" signs at the entrances of his bank. Like this will keep out BG's!

He further states that since his bank is a "federal institution" he "legally" doesn't need the anti-gun signs? The next time I spoke with him I would ask him what specific federal law makes the bank he manages a "federal institution."

The next time I spoke with him I would tactfully request to know what SPECIFIC state/federal law to which he was referring. This sounds like someone who in NOT an attorney all the same.

Until this "new" bank manager provides the specific regulation/law I would not take his word for his interpretation on this new bank policy.

IMHO!!!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I wouldn't speak with the manager any further, I CCW and go on with my banking.
    Banks are not federal institutions or federal property, just FDIC... insured.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

See, this is why I like the signature line of one of the members here (cant remember his name for the life of me right now...) I carry at my bank all the time.

ALWAYS carry NEVER tell

-Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

The Bank Manager actually concerns me on how little he knows about the banking system. Just because the bank is FDIC insured does not make it a federal institution. I'd be worried about having my money handled by a bank whose Manager thinks they are a federal institution.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    The bank might be insured by the FDIC, but it is not federal property.
    Hey, hard to tell in today's economy - it may be Federal Property, what with all the bank failures/takeovers

j/k

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Banks are not federal institutions or federal property
    Not yet, anyhow. Just wait a few years.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

The money in banks is insured by the FDIC. A bank is a privately-owned, for profit business. It is not federally-owned, nor is the property. Your individual state's gun laws will determine whether or not you can carry in your bank, and whether or not the manager can post a binding sign prohibiting concealed carry.

Check your local state's handgun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by 1SGCasey View Post
    Not yet, anyhow. Just wait a few years.
    Yes'ir!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    SO I recently had an informal chat with a new bank manager. He was concerned about the safety of the bank during the holidays. No surprises here.

During the conversation he stated that a LEO had mentioned to him to get a Anti-weapons sign put on each door. (We all know that doesn't stop the BG, but...)

He stated, since then he researched it and found that his bank was a Federal Institution so he was covered already and didn't need signs.

When did this happen?
    I tend to believe most LEO support CCW. It is a shame to hear this bank manager receiving such advice from a LEO.

No Carry signs are like kryptonite for felons. It isn't physically possible for a would-be felon with a gun intent on robbing a bank to walk past a No Carry sign into said establishment. A mystical force will overwhelm them and they will appear to be stuck in a spider's web at the front door.

Good cops (and Bank Managers) know this. DUH!

I open carry from time to time and have walked into my bank open carry with police in there. Yeah, sure you get the eye but not illegal, wasn't even questioned.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    No Carry signs are like kryptonite for felons. It isn't physically possible for a would-be felon with a gun intent on robbing a bank to walk past a No Carry sign into said establishment. A mystical force will overwhelm them and they will appear to be stuck in a spider's web at the front door.

Good cops (and Bank Managers) know this. DUH!
    Are you kidding? A sign is part of the law! The last thing a criminal would ever do while robbing, kill, holding people hostage in worst case senario would be to pass a paper sign!

You got to love anti mentality. Maybe if they put a sign up next to it that said "please don't rob us" that would help too. The only thing a criminal sees with a sign is "no one here is armed, please take what you want"
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

There was a thread about this recently, started by pretty similar circumstances, here ya go: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...out-banks.html

And no, they aren't
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links