Questions About Fort Hood

This is a discussion on Questions About Fort Hood within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hear that guns are NOT allowed on military installations like Fort Hood..is this true? If I were a part of military personel living on ...

Thread: Questions About Fort Hood

Questions About Fort Hood

I hear that guns are NOT allowed on military installations like Fort Hood..is this true?
    If I were a part of military personel living on that base,could I join the local police force as a reserve officer and be able to carry ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE as do police,including military posts?
    Just a thought.

2. Remove Ads

Generally privately owned firearms aren't allowed on military bases. Concealed carry is a big no-no on them. They are federal land, so the federal law trumps whatever powers a local pd from outside the gate might give you. Plenty of threads about it on here.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Based on my son's experience as an MP at Fort Drum, the only personnel permitted to be armed on an Army base are those MP's and civilian police on duty at any given time. They are gun-free zones, believe it or not.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Sadly each base is differant. A certain base my family visits the MPs have us check with the onduty shift supervisor, he either says lock it in the trunk, secure it in the armory, or checks CC permits and says welcome to the base.

For the record, we haven't ever had to store it in the armory.

So literally the only way to know is to call that specific base and find out.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

On a Marine Corps base if you live in the barracks and you purchase a gun you are required to register it on base and turn it into the armory for storage. If you live in base housing you can keep it in your house.

Most bases will allow local police on base with duty firearms if they have a valid reason to be there(ie, called to pick someone up, or help out with something), or if the person is a reservist. Charleston NWS, for instance, shares jurisdiction with many local agencies as it is spread across a few different counties, and has "public" roads that run right through the base.

At Charleston AFB as a military member with no police agency affiliation you can bring shotguns on if you're going to the skeet/trap range to shoot. Or you can also bring them(personal weapons) on if you declare at the gate, and take it directly to the armory for storage.

Both bases have AF/Navy reserve personnel who are members of civilian police forces as their civilian jobs that are allowed to carry their firearms on base.

Depends on your base, commanding officer's policieis, etc.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmend View Post
    On a Marine Corps base if you live in the barracks and you purchase a gun you are required to register it on base and turn it into the armory for storage. If you live in base housing you can keep it in your house.
    The Air Force was like that when I was in, or at least as far as the barracks were concerned. I'm not sure about base housing.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Links