Those of us in the Northeast

This is a discussion on Those of us in the Northeast within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you deal with living next to a state that does not honor or does not have a reciprocal agrement with your states CCL? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those of us in the Northeast

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Those of us in the Northeast

How do you deal with living next to a state that does not honor or does not have a reciprocal agrement with your states CCL? I know for those of us in the Northeast it's pretty difficult because the states are so small, close together, and it's a checkerboard of may issue states that don't honor one another.

I live next to Maryland about 15 miles from the border and it's always a pain when we're out and about I either have to make a trip home to disarm if we need to go there for something, take the long way if the road dips down into MD or not go at all. In addition it's a pain when I'm going to WV or VA. I have to disarm for that 8 miles thru Maryland.

How do you guys compensate for this? Do you go unarmed because you may end up in another state or do you take the long way just to avoid it?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Good post. I can't relate to the Northeast, but overall, we don't break the law. In short, if it's not legal--agree or not--don't do it.

VIP Member
    The only state I have this issue with is GA, and thankfully I can at least have it in the truck lawfully, just can't carry outside of the vehicle. I have some family in MD and was born there, don't make it back too often, but as Bruce stated, I follow the law.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I follow the law.
    Well thats obvious. Thats not really what I was getting at tho. I'm asking more along the lines of how do you compensate for having to tiptoe around, or change your plans all because you live close to a state that does not honor your permit?

VIP Member
    Going through GA its a lot easier than going into MD for one thing, I don't have to unload and lock up my firearm(s) as is the case going through MD. I keep a secure-it lock box in my truck for the rare times I am required to leave it locked in the truck. If I travel through MD, I unload, lock it in the box, and store the ammo elsewhere, and curse the state of MD for this stupidity.

I'm retired and my particular issue is with the Republic of New York. They are such elitists, they don't acknowledge any other states carry permits and you can't even legally bring a gun into their state in your trunk, etc unloaded or not. We have relatives in New York and visit often but I must always leave my gun at home if going there.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Well thats obvious. Thats not really what I was getting at tho. I'm asking more along the lines of how do you compensate for having to tiptoe around, or change your plans all because you live close to a state that does not honor your permit?
    I didn't intend for my response to be flip. What I intended was, "Educate yourself on the ever-changing laws of the jurisdictions you intend to visit or pass through. Then, act accordingly."

VIP Member
    Wow, I thought this thread was going to be about the cold weather in the northeast. Living in TX, I never thought about being so close to other states... That must really be a nightmare, with all the states clumped together ....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mardet65 View Post
    I'm retired and my particular issue is with the Republic of New York. They are such elitists, they don't acknowledge any other states carry permits and you can't even legally bring a gun into their state in your trunk, etc unloaded or not. We have relatives in New York and visit often but I must always leave my gun at home if going there.
    Yeah I don't know how this state of mine got to be a snobbish hardass. I've often wondered why 13 other states honor our permits, but we don't reciprocate. You'd think the other states would tell us to take a hike.
    As for me, I have a NY CCW, and I'm looking to get non-resident permits in CT and PA, which shouldn't be too hard. But I also want one for NJ, and that may be impossible. That would pretty much cover it in my case.
    In the end, all we can do is stay active in trying to get the legislators to come around and achieve something resembling a broader reciprocity.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, Pro2A, since I live in Maryland and I can't carry except when I leave the state, I don't have quite as much sympathy for your plight as you might wish.

Seriously, though, even when I am leaving for points south where I can carry, and I start out with the stuff in my trunk as per Maryland law, I have to avoid going through DC on the way out just to be safe. It's a pain.

Since VA and PA are both open carry states, my advice is to stop on the shoulder of the road right in front of the "Welcome to MD" sign, go to the trunk, unload the gun and put it in a Center of Mass or something, then reload when you get through. I did something much like that the last time I came back from PA and drove back roads; the MD state line got up on me in a hurry and I ended up disarming almost literally int he shadow of the welcome sign...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Being in MA my permit is a little harder to get than most and is honored almost nowhere else.I got a NH permit by mail for $20.00 that covers me in many more states than my MA permit does
    "You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Get a Pennsylvania Non-resident permit

get a Utah non-resident permit

Get a Florida non resident permit.

My parents have a cabin in the Berkshire Mountains, as soon as I get to the Mass Line I pull over, take the gun apart and lock it in the trunk and put the Magazine in the glove compartment.

Then I don't do anything to get pulled over for any reason.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I am unfortunate enough to live in New York, but am fortunate enough to have an unrestricted CCW permit. I also have a NH non-resident permit, which is honored by PA, among others. Vermont, bless their hearts, requires no permit whatsoever. With that in mind, those are the only states I will travel to. This has led to a couple discussions between my wife and I, but so far it has not been a big deal.

We did go on vacation once to PA, and I unwittingly drove into NJ before I realized the ramifications. I immediately turned around and got out of there! I would never knowingly violate the law, especially when it comes to legally owning and carrying a firearm. There are too many people out there wanting a reason to take them away from us at it is, without giving them any more ammunition (pardon the pun). Just my $0.02
    TC
    SIG P229R DAK & SIG P230
    Beretta PX4 Storm .40 & Beretta 92F
    Kahr PM9 Covert
    Kel-Tec P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by ny_er_2006 View Post
    I am unfortunate enough to live in New York, but am fortunate enough to have an unrestricted CCW permit. I also have a NH non-resident permit, which is honored by PA, among others. Vermont, bless their hearts, requires no permit whatsoever. With that in mind, those are the only states I will travel to. This has led to a couple discussions between my wife and I, but so far it has not been a big deal.

We did go on vacation once to PA, and I unwittingly drove into NJ before I realized the ramifications. I immediately turned around and got out of there! I would never knowingly violate the law, especially when it comes to legally owning and carrying a firearm. There are too many people out there wanting a reason to take them away from us at it is, without giving them any more ammunition (pardon the pun). Just my $0.02
    My buddy has a NY, PA and VA permit since he travels through them a lot. He will drive all the way around NJ to get to VA. It would be faster and easier for him to just drive directly south through NJ but he won't leave his gun at home.

It would be nice to have a "travel permit" of some kind that would be good in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    If I travel through MD, I unload, lock it in the box, and store the ammo elsewhere, and curse the state of MD for this stupidity.
    If I travel through [insert ass backwards state here], I unload, lock it in the box, and store the ammo elsewhere, and curse the state of [insert ass backwards state here] for this stupidity.

Been there, done that. Or worse, leave it home on my trips back up to my former home state- the PRNJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links