Issue questions: Carrying in Israel

This is a discussion on Issue questions: Carrying in Israel within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Firstly, I want to say that wow this site has exploded since I was here last. It's great see! Now, on to my question(s). I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue questions: Carrying in Israel

Issue questions: Carrying in Israel

Firstly, I want to say that wow this site has exploded since I was here last. It's great see!

Now, on to my question(s). I've recently moved to Israel and I'd like to bring one of my firearms (handgun) here (which I know I need an import permit). I know what the laws say regarding who can be issued a permit and I do NOT meet all of them, however I've heard from multiple people that they sometimes will waive these laws.

1. How likely is it they will waive the following:
    a. <3 years residency (am a citizen though)
    b. no specific "need", under the categories listed at least.

2. If I go to work for a security company, will they allow me a firearm at this point?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Remove Ads

I think you better call the Embassy and ask them, unless someone here is an expert in International Firearms laws
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I posted here because I know there are Israelis on this forum, as well as generally knowledgeable people :( oh well.

Are you an Israeli, US or dual citizen (US/Israeli)?
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

I'm a dual citizen

The permit you are reffering to, is it the federal import permit or a Florida concealed weapons permit?

Since you are a dual citizen (US/etc) you should be good to go for the Florida concealed weapons permit. Use the elegibility wizard for that. Contact BATFE/CBP for the import permit.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

VIP Member
    No specific knowledge of situation or laws. I had the impression the import permit was to bring a weapon (import) into Israel, and that would be covered by their law.

I think your best source of information would be, not our Embassy, but the local authorities where you now live. Whether or not you will be allowed to carry there, is strictly a matter of the law over there.

There may also be some issues of obtaining permits here to export a weapon from the US to there. That would be controlled, most likely, by the commerce department. in other words there might be two permits you need---a) an export permit from the US and b) an import permit from Israel. Then, you need a permit from Israeli authorities to possess and probably to carry.

Again, start with the local authorities where you live, or with a local lawyer where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    No specific knowledge of situation or laws. I had the impression the import permit was to bring a weapon (import) into Israel, and that would be covered by their law.

I think your best source of information would be, not our Embassy, but the local authorities where you now live. Whether or not you will be allowed to carry there, is strictly a matter of the law over there.

There may also be some issues of obtaining permits here to export a weapon from the US to there. That would be controlled, most likely, by the commerce department. in other words there might be two permits you need---a) an export permit from the US and b) an import permit from Israel. Then, you need a permit from Israeli authorities to possess and probably to carry.

Again, start with the local authorities where you live, or with a local lawyer where you live.

Didn't know about the export permits.....thanks for the heads up.

The permit you are reffering to, is it the federal import permit or a Florida concealed weapons permit?

Since you are a dual citizen (US/etc) you should be good to go for the Florida concealed weapons permit. Use the elegibility wizard for that. Contact BATFE/CBP for the import permit.
    Ya I have a Florida resident permit, but I'm not a resident anymore and not even living there so it does me no good. I'm gonna run by the department this week and speak to them in person and see what I can find out (here in Israel).

Thanks guys :)

aag
    Based on what I remember (and that's based on what was 10-15 years ago), unless your job requires frequent travel to the West Bank or you live there chances of getting a permit are pretty slim.
    I did get a permit when I worked for security company, but that was revoked as soon as I stopped working there.

I can make some inquiries for more up to date status with friends who are carrying there, though. PM me.

VIP Member
    Can't help much with advice...But, Good Luck and keep us informed of your progress...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by alyehoud View Post
    1. How likely is it they will waive the following:
    a. <3 years residency (am a citizen though)
    b. no specific "need", under the categories listed at least.
    Is the threat of homicidal Palestinians not a "specific need"? I know its probably not the "politically correct" thing to say, but at least from what we see on TV, it appears to be a pretty legit concern.

Just a few questions, do you see open civilian carry in Israel?

Is there CC in Israel?

What weapons do you see in the hands of civilians?

What handguns and calibers are popular in Israel?

Hope it not to many questions but it is rare that I can get first hand info about Israel from someone who knows firearms.

Stay safe and blessing be upon you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alyehoud View Post
    Didn't know about the export permits.....thanks for the heads up.

Ya I have a Florida resident permit, but I'm not a resident anymore and not even living there so it does me no good. I'm gonna run by the department this week and speak to them in person and see what I can find out (here in Israel).

Thanks guys :)
    I thought you were inbound to the US, you want info on CC at Israel, my bad.

Re: Carrying in Israel

אני גר ברחובות

Join the Auxiliary Police wherever you live. That's what I did and my commander wrote a letter that got me a permit.

For those of you that aren't familiar with life in Israel, it's actually very very difficult to get a handgun permit. There is complete gun control here outside of the army, police, people with need and those with connections. There is no concealed carry. It wouldn't make any sense, since you are searched before going into most stores, malls, etc.

jb

I would think that carrying would be a must in Israel...

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links