Smartcarry, Maximum concealment with maximum firepower...

This is a discussion on Smartcarry, Maximum concealment with maximum firepower... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've owned the ThunderWear and SmartCarry products for many years now and have always been pleased. Undoubtedly there are issues that one needs to work ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smartcarry, Maximum concealment with maximum firepower...

I've owned the ThunderWear and SmartCarry products for many years now and have always been pleased. Undoubtedly there are issues that one needs to work out and to "dress" left or right as appropriate - if you're familiar with the tailoring term. I carry a G33 with spare magazine when I go camping (twice annually at least) and it is completely comfortable. I can even sleep on my stomach without issue. I highly recommend it for hot weather climates where gym shorts are the norm.

2. Remove Ads

Use one every day. I found shifting the gun to 11 o'clock, and keeping the bottom of the grip centered on the zipper helps comfort a lot for me (I'm right-handed).

When you sit, the gun lays on top of your left thigh.

If it wasn't for the Smartcarry, I would be limited to pocket carry. I just can not afford to get made, for a variety of reasons. I got made once with one of those holster t-shirts (unexpected hug). IWB looks like a tumor, and untucking a long-tailed dress shirt is slow and can snag the draw.

With a tucked-in shirt, the Smartcarry draw is surprisingly fast. Quote from local gun shop owner when he asked me to demonstrate - "Damn! That IS fast!" Bonus - with a tucked shirt, you look neat. First impressions do count, and help keep you from getting shot by responding LEOs.

Charlie is a great guy to deal with. Their return policy and service is supreme.

Get one - you will not be disappointed.

No, I don't work for them. Just a very happy customer.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I like my SmartCarry a lot and highly recommend it. I live in a warm-weather state and normally wear only khakis or jeans and a polo shirt (against which a tucked IWB gun prints too badly), and I carry my wallet & keys etc in my front pockets -- so aside from a fanny pack there's really no other place for me to carry a gun.

That being said, the SmartCarry is not a 100% satisfactory solution for me.

One issue is that I wear my pants with the waistband down around the hips (jeans style) rather than up around the waist. This means that my pants have a shorter rise than a traditional man's pants might have, and thus less room for the gun. So when I sit down, the gun pushes up against the bottom of my belt and down against the crotch of the pants and gets pretty tightly jammed in (even when I shift the holster a bit left of center, say to 11:00). This is a Kahr CW9, which is a relatively small gun.

The second issue is that when driving the gun is under my belt which is under the seatbelt which makes it slow and awkward to draw the gun from under all those layers. I'd have to release my seat belt and do quite a bit of squirming around. So when I'm driving I don't really feel "armed" because I would not be able to quickly draw in response to a threat.

A third issue is that I often find that the first one or two cartridges have popped off the spare magazine and end up lying in the bottom of the spare magazine pouch. (If anyone has seen and solved this problem I'd like to hear about it, thanks.)

To date, however, I have not found a better carry option for me.

I have to agree 2 thumbs up for the Smart Carry method. I used Thunderwear for 8 yrs maybe a bit longer but 2 half yrs. ago I found the SC and ordered it. Never wear the Thunderwear anymore. The SC is better constructed and has a built in sweat shield to keep your gun dry. I carry (2)G30SF's with unimax lasers mounted on the accessory rail. Since I wear pleated dress slacks or Dockers one size larger and use suspenders instead of a belt (that might help with someone who has a bigger belly,) I find it totally comfortable. I can draw and put my first shot COM in 1 and half seconds. That's good enough for me. I wear mine all day every day, and comfort is not an issue. The owner Charlie Parrott is a real down to the earth nice guy. Great product and super service. I own 4 of the SC's now. Good luck and always stay safe.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Use one every day. I found shifting the gun to 11 o'clock, and keeping the bottom of the grip centered on the zipper helps comfort a lot for me (I'm right-handed).

When you sit, the gun lays on top of your left thigh.
    Love mine too, I carry a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro in .45 and spare mag every day, day in, day out, in the car, at work, you name it. I have never had anyone notice Im carrying a gun. I also wear a kilt so people eyes are ALWAYS on my midsection and what Im wearing.

Alex!

Doesn't it take two hands to draw...one to pull open your drawers and the other to grab the weapon?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Doesn't it take two hands to draw...one to pull open your drawers and the other to grab the weapon?
    While this is the "normal" way to draw, it is not necessary. I can suck in my gut and draw one handed - with either my right OR left hand (for the left hand, insert the hand palm-out).

This is one of the great advantages of the Smartcarry, since it keeps the gun centered in front.

Note that IWB holsters also need two hands - one to clear the cover garment, and the other to draw. If you do it one-handed, it becomes a two-step process, with the possibility of snagging on your cover garment. With the Smartcarry, it is one step, since the shirt is tucked behind the holster and does not need to first be cleared.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Do you have to have your exterior shirt tucked in or can you have a undershirt and use that?
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

How does the SC work with a full-size cocked and locked 1911? Any concern with the safety being swept off while in the holster? Also, how well does it accommodate that large of a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny256 View Post
    Do you have to have your exterior shirt tucked in or can you have a undershirt and use that?
    I would tuck both - less chance of snagging the draw, the draw is faster, and you look neater. You can keep your shirt untucked if you want to, but I don't see why you would.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    How does the SC work with a full-size cocked and locked 1911? Any concern with the safety being swept off while in the holster? Also, how well does it accommodate that large of a gun?
    Check out their website. Or, just call them - Charlie answers the phone himself! He carries a full size 1911, FWIW. That leads me to think it can be done.

My main concern would be getting poked by the beaver tail safety - more of a comfort than a safety issue. As it is, sometimes the backstrap of my Glock pokes me when I sit, and I have to push the Smartcarry down. No big deal, but I'm not sure about a 1911. Maybe others here do it?

Thread on Smartcarry vs other methods, from my experience:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ght=Smartcarry
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links