A prayer before putting on CCW?

This is a discussion on A prayer before putting on CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MinistrMalic At the risk of hijacking this thread and getting a finger wagged at me by the mods, this is technically not ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A prayer before putting on CCW?

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    At the risk of hijacking this thread and getting a finger wagged at me by the mods, this is technically not quite true. The negative iteration of the same idea definitely predates the New testament. That idea is "do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you" and can be found in both the Old testament as well as the Code of Hammurabi. It is passive, requiring only no malicious action on the part of the person following the rule.

However, the proactive command to "do to others as you would have them do to you" is first found in the teaching of Jesus. (Luke 6:31) This is a positive command and requires proactive effort to seek out good to do to others.

Now that said, the command in this instance works either way and I am grateful for the leeway of the forum moderators. In the negative sense here, don't flame someone else's thread if you don't want yours flamed. In the positive sense, respect the practice of others and give them room to practice if you would like the same room to operate.

So to those who pray, I am with you. To those who do not, IMO the beauty of America is the freedom to worship however you please, if you desire.
    Thanks for your comment. I agree with you. BTW, I pray as well.
    SCGunLover1

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    IBTL!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I have prayed - "Lord, please don't let me ever shoot anyone who doesn't need shooting."
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I have prayed - "Lord, please don't let me ever shoot anyone who doesn't need shooting."
    I asked God not to let me have to shoot any one and God answered back: "Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot".

cj
    While making sure everything's settled, I usually think, "God, I hope I never have to use this!".

But overall, for some reason, this reminds me of the Dark Tower series with all its pseudo-mysticism (not implying that praying is mysticism, just that the series is full of it):

I do not aim with my hand;
    He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand;
    He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun;
    He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.

I hope and pray that none may kill me,
    Nor I kill any, with woundings grim
    But if ever any should think to kill me
    I pray thee, God, let me kill him

"Lord, let my aim be true and let him who would turn me into a victim not suffer long."
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I usually thank the liberals for causing a run on ammo and raising the prices!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

LOL so you're the one that did it....!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    There was this sign posted on a synagogue bulletin board in Jerusalem back in 2002: "Worshippers who have firearms are requested to bring them to prayer services."

We don't have a specific prayer but most of the time there are at least one or two guys carrying at prayers. In the Bible, Jacob, in preparing to meet his brother and sworn-enemy Esau, prayed to God for protection, prepared presents to appease Esau, and also prepared for battle.

So my prayer is based on Jacob's preparation:

God, please save me from those who would harm me, and if I can avoid them, please show me how, and if I must defend myself, let my aim be true and the threat be quickly neutralized.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    There was this sign posted on a synagogue bulletin board in Jerusalem back in 2002: "Worshippers who have firearms are requested to bring them to prayer services."

We don't have a specific prayer but most of the time there are at least one or two guys carrying at prayers. In the Bible, Jacob, in preparing to meet his brother and sworn-enemy Esau, prayed to God for protection, prepared presents to appease Esau, and also prepared for battle.

So my prayer is based on Jacob's preparation:

God, please save me from those who would harm me, and if I can avoid them, please show me how, and if I must defend myself, let my aim be true and the threat be quickly neutralized.
    King David said: "Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle--"

I think that applies to training with firearms too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

"Oh, God, I am fearing, that if I have to shoot inside this little HHR car, I will lose my hearing."

I am THANKFUL for this post. Although I do Seek HIS Face Daily, for some reason, I have not offered this subject up to HIM for a "long time" Thank you for reminding me.

GOD, you Know my Heart. I DO NOT want to have to "TAKE" another's Life, If I am placed in a "Situation", Give me the wisdom to "Handle" it otherwise, But if I must use Lethal Force, then I Pray that I am Accurate & YOU will lay YOUR HAND on my Heart, as I WEEP.

Puffer

It is good to have faith, but also good to know that reality says you have to watch out for yourself and your family
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

"Oh Lord... please don't let us screw this up." -- Alan Shepherd
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links