A prayer before putting on CCW?

This is a discussion on A prayer before putting on CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; among my daily prayer askings is this: "Lord, I ask for your hand of safety over our family" Each and every morning before departing. I'm ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A prayer before putting on CCW?

among my daily prayer askings is this:
    "Lord, I ask for your hand of safety over our family"

Each and every morning before departing.

I'm glad you posted this. It is valuable food for thought.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    It is good to have faith, but also good to know that reality says you have to watch out for yourself and your family
    I don't believe anyone has suggested otherwise.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

This thread is interesting and caused a small bit of soul searching for me. As another poster stated at one time I took my beliefs/religion seriously, but since moving from Colorado where I had surrounded myself with like minded/faithed people and a support network to get through the tough days I have slid way off the path.

I made a honest effort to find a church up here to no avail. It's not that I was trying to find an exact duplicate of what I had at our church in The Springs but I feel that I do have certain expectations that haven't been met.

Not to hijack the thread I think the number of times I have actually stopped and taken the time to pray in the almost 3 years I've been in Oregon would number less than 10. When I do pray I talk to God like a friend. I need to get back into the habit of doing daily's and I need to renew my search for a church.

I think my prayer in the mornings would be some where along the lines of...

God it's me again, I want to say thank you for getting us through the night safely, and as we start our day I ask that you keep us safe in Your hands during our travels. Please reach out and bless (insert names of pertinent people). Lord as I prepare for my day I pray that you guide me with your wisdom and love. Let my mind be clear and my heart open. Let my actions be sure and just in all that I do. Thanks again God and get us home safely after our day is over. Amen.

Sitting here writing this reminded me of a song by Rodney Atkins called "I've been watching you" The 2nd verse that I feel truly applies to me. And to all fathers to some extent our kids watch us and mimic us even when we don't think they are.

Drivin’ through town just my boy and me
    With a Happy Meal in his booster seat
    Knowin’ that he couldn’t have the toy ‘til his nuggets were gone.
    A green traffic light turned straight to red
    I hit my brakes and mumbled under my breath.
    His fries went a flyin’, and his orange drink covered his lap
    Well, then my four year old said a four letter word
    It started with “S” and I was concerned
    So I said, “Son, now where’d you learn to talk like that?”

Chorus:
    He said, "I’ve been watching you, dad ain’t that cool?
    I’m your buckaroo, I wanna be like you.
    And eat all my food and grow as tall as you are.
    We got cowboy boots and camo pants
    Yeah, we’re just alike, hey, ain’t we dad?
    I want to do everything you do.
    So I’ve been watching you."

We got back home and I went to the barn
    I bowed my head and I prayed real hard
    Said, “Lord, please help me help my stupid self.”
    Just this side of bedtime later that night
    Turnin’ on my son’s Scooby-Doo nightlight.
    He crawled out of bed and he got down on his knees.
    He closed his little eyes, folded his little hands
    Spoke to God like he was talkin’ to a friend.
    And I said, “Son, now where’d you learn to pray like that?”

Chorus:
    He said, "I’ve been watching you, dad ain’t that cool?
    I’m your buckaroo, I want to be like you.
    We like fixin’ things and holding momma’s hand
    Yeah, we’re just alike, hey, ain’t we dad?
    I want to do everything you do; so I’ve been watching you"

With tears in my eyes I wrapped him in a hug.
    Said, “My little bear is growin’ up.”
    And he said, “But when I’m big I’ll still know what to do.”

"‘Cause I’ve been watching you, dad ain’t that cool?
    I’m your buckaroo, I want to be like you.
    By then I’ll be strong as superman
    We’ll be just alike, hey, won’t we dad
    When I can do everything you do.
    ‘cause I’ve been watchin’ you."
    hey yeah
    uh huh
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billpocz View Post
    Does anyone say a prayer (or would like to share theirs) before they put on their weapon in the morning?

I am very new to concealed carry, but it is a right so sacred that I never realized how powerful it was until I was able to do it!

I alway say, "Heavenly Father, please keep me safe today, keep my family safe today and please protect me from using this weapon unless I need to".

Bill
    I like it and am going to use yours.

VIP Member

Mittens? and prayers

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    On the uniform belt buckle of every member of the SS the words "Gott Mit Uns"
    To which traditional wisdom/foxhole legend holds the proper US troop's reply was "We have mittens, too."

I don't have any sidearm specific prayers. However, always say morning and bedtime prayers. Always, carry from morning to bedtime. So the act of praying and putting on the sidearm are coincidentally linked. In addition, the content of the prayers, although generic, cover the situation of being armed, as well as other things.

I alway say, "O Lord, support me* all the day long of this troublous life, until the shadows lengthen, and the evening comes, and as the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and my* work is done Then of thy great mercy grant me* a safe lodging, and a holy rest and peace at last. Through Jesus Christ my Lord." [* the words in the 1941 Song and Service Book for Ship and Field are "us & our."]

Then I ad-lib free-form details of my own.

Most time I read some scripture and some from the same Song & Service book. I especially like Washington's Prayer for the Nation.

Almighty God, we make our earnest prayer that Thou will keep the United States in thy holy protection, that Thou will incline the hearts of the citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to government, and entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another and for their fellow citizens of the United States at large.

And finally that Thou will most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy nation.

Grant our supplications, we beseech Thee, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

(Written June 8, 1783 and sent to Governors of all the States.)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by billpocz View Post
    ...While the act of concealed carry is so personal and so varied between all who do it, I am just suprised at how moved I am by having this responsibility and by being so able to protect myself and my family.

Bill
    I think everyone here who carries can agree that carrying brings with it a change in mindset, perhaps a little different from each to each.

That you see carrying as a weighty responsibility is a good thing, but I would encourage you not to be overawed either by carrying or by your perception that it greatly improves your ability to protect yourself and your family. Both perceptions are potential dangerous. Being overawed by the responsibility of carrying may cause you to second-guess your perception of a dangerous situation, delaying your response and potentially putting yourself or others at risk. Your pistol is just a tool for self-defense. YOU are the most important element in protecting yourself and your family - having the pistol doesn't make you "so able" to protect yourself and your family. You have to be risk averse. You have to be situationally aware. You have to recognize threats for what they are and what they are not. You have to know all the tools available to you for the protection of yourself and those around you, including your wits. Your pistol is just one of those tools - no more lethal than your ability to use it.

No, I don't say a prayer each morning before I strap on my rig. I don't see it as a sacred act, though I can certainly see where some might, and I respect that. From a spiritual perspective, some people may strive to make every act a sacred act. To be honest, I think the daily responsibility of driving my car is a far more immediate concern. In my life, I may never have to use my pistol in self-defense. I use my car many times a day (4,279 pounds at 36-95 fps - you calculate the ft-lbs and consider the odds of an accident involving a vehicle or pedestrian versus the odds of having to draw your weapon in self-defense).

Yes, carrying is a serious responsibility. To me, it is no more (and no less) of a responsibility than carrying a potentially lethal tactical knife, or the potentially lethal ability and decision to employ manual combat, or for that matter, driving.

As an aside, I found myself thinking about all the prayers in the US Army Chaplain's Handbook. In particular, I recall the prayer for one's rifle and the prayer for a Jeep.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links