NM Governor gets CCW license!

This is a discussion on NM Governor gets CCW license! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; He may be a politician, but this was pretty cool: http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/42625.html I actually spoke to him about doing this at dinner (my wife's a bigwig) ...

Thread: NM Governor gets CCW license!

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA

NM Governor gets CCW license!

He may be a politician, but this was pretty cool: http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/42625.html

I actually spoke to him about doing this at dinner (my wife's a bigwig) about a year ago - I'm sort of amazed that he followed through! :)

Governor gets license to pack

By DAVID MILES | The New Mexican
    April 22, 2006

Legislators and lobbyists beware — Gov. Bill Richardson has just received a license to carry a concealed handgun.

Richardson spokesman Gilbert Gallegos said the governor picked up his license at Friday’s dedication of expanded facilities at the New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy on the city’s south side.

The governor successfully completed all the requirements for obtaining a license, including a criminal background check and a firearms-training course, Gallegos said. “He aced the test,” the spokesman said.

Richardson owns a GLOCK pistol, Gallegos said. But Richardson’s veto pen likely will remain his most dangerous weapon around the Roundhouse because the governor says he doesn’t plan to pack heat.

Richardson, who describes himself as an avid hunter, said he applied for the license to lend his support to concealed-carry measures. “I just wanted to symbolically show my support for concealed carry,” he said. “I don’t anticipate carrying one.”

Richardson, who was flanked by state police officers from his security detail during an interview Friday, said personal safety wasn’t a factor in his decision to apply for a concealed-handgun license.

In 2003, Richardson signed into law a measure letting New Mexicans apply for licenses to carry concealed, loaded handguns. Requirements for applicants include completing a firearms-training course of at least 15 hours and submitting a $100 application fee and fingerprints for a criminal background check.

The law bars convicted felons, those judged to be mentally incompetent, alcoholics and drug addicts from receiving a concealed-handgun license. The prohibition also applies to people under indictment for felonies and those who have been convicted of certain misdemeanors related to violence, drunken driving or drug abuse.

Last year, Richardson signed another law lowering the minimum age of license applicants from 25 to 21 and extending the term of the license from two years to four years. The 2005 law also requires a two-hour refresher-firearms course two years after receiving a new or renewed license.

In addition to receiving his new concealed-handgun license, Richardson applied this year for a license to hunt elk. “I’m a hunter; I’m a sportsman,” he said Friday.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe this will start a firestorm and our movement will spread so that we can carry in all states without problem. Now lets get the guy to run for congress.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I salute you and the governor. Last year's NM law paved the way for reciprocity between NM and CO (among others). I like to visit your state, especially the VLA.

Administrator

Talking New CombatCarry.com Forum Member

"GovBRichardson"
    Number of Posts (1)
    Hobbies: Hunting - Governor Of New Mexico

Come on "Gov"...Ya already took the first little baby step.
    Lurk for a while & then REGISTER on CombatCarry.com

Make yer first post in the New Members Intro Area.

We'll help you pick a nice Avatar....and we'll answer ALL of your GLOCK questions.

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed - be rather something to have him spend some time with us here.

Much kudos to him for a wise decision and I hope he passes on his thinking to other Governors. A word towards WI, IL, MD, NJ, HI etc would be useful - putting it mildly.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Legislators and lobbyists beware — Gov. Bill Richardson has just received a license to carry a concealed handgun.
    ....does Mr. Miles think the Gov poses a threat or is Mr. Miles just being smart a** (at best) or a provocotive moron (at worst) by making that stupid statement?

Richardson, who describes himself as an avid hunter, said he applied for the license to lend his support to concealed-carry measures. “I just wanted to symbolically show my support for concealed carry,” he said. “I don’t anticipate carrying one.”
    Although I think the Gov should exercise his rights, I still applaud him for doing this and showing his support!

The law bars (SNIP) those judged to be mentally incompetent,
    Which should include Mr. Miles.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    I hate to be the downer, and applaud the Governor. But, it seems that high ranking politicians can always get permits. To me it's more important that the average man on the street has the same option to apply, and the same chance of having the application approved.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    bluelion, he was a congresscritter, for over 20 years. Now he wants to be pres - don't see it happening.

Administrator

Maybe he Intends To Carry BUT,

“I just wanted to symbolically show my support for concealed carry,” he said. “I don’t anticipate carrying one.”

Being a public figure - I'm sure that he could not apply for a License To Carry without it becoming public knowledge. Mayhaps he IS going to actually carry but, wants to throw the "news dogs" off their scent trail.

I think it would be perfect of old Arnold got permit in CA. Heck he probably carries anyway.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

1943 - 2009
    Richardson, who was flanked by state police officers from his security detail during an interview Friday, said personal safety wasn’t a factor in his decision to apply for a concealed-handgun license
    There ya go. Of course personal safety isn't a factor when one has 24/7 police protection. We commoners don't have this privilege.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator

Arnold

Actually "Arnold" Does Not Like "Guns" in real life.
    He only likes them "in the movies" when they can be used as "tool" to put huge amounts of cash into his bank account.

Arnold is the biggest let down the pro gun community could ever imagine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Even though he was part of the Clinton Administration, he seems to have signed onto a good many common sense ideas such as these CCW laws, and I think he got on board with lowering taxes. Hasn't he tried to pressure the feds on the border issue?
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Erich, Thanks for posting that. It sends a great message to the citizens. Though it's inevitable that the anti-2nd Amendment crowd will make their hand-wringing, whiney comments known.

My wife and I were in New Mexico last week. We go there pretty often as we like the state, and have a condo in Santa Fe. If you get a chance, please let me know of any good places to shoot in your area.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Actually "Arnold" Does Not Like "Guns" in real life.
    He only likes them "in the movies" when they can be used as "tool" to put huge amounts of cash into his bank account.

Arnold is the biggest let down the pro gun community could ever imagine.
    I may be wrong but I think AH-NALD was quoted as being an admirer of Hitler in his earlier days.

to the Governor, but I really want to know is if he had to wait the alotted amount of days that rest of us Joe Citizens had to or did he just march right in and get one? (Yes, I read about his "training".)

Someone should email him and make him aware of the best little gun board on the web. Not that he would join us on here but you never know..........
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Links