Questions about CC for a lady

This is a discussion on Questions about CC for a lady within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Kimber ultra carry 45 when I wear it in my paddle holster, and the Kimber aegis 9mm in my purse or in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about CC for a lady

I carry a Kimber ultra carry 45 when I wear it in my paddle holster, and the Kimber aegis 9mm in my purse or in my fanny pack (I also have 2 Sigs, but I'm more accurate with the kimbers so I feel more secure carrying them) .

It's really difficult for a woman to carry I'm finding. I"m small, so a lot of the holsters are too big for me- they imprint way too much. That's why I started carrying in the fanny pack. I hate carrying in my purse cuz I feel that's a prime target for the bad guys.

I will also look forward to any input on how other women carry.
    There are two types of people in this world-those who will do anything to survive, and the walking victims.

2. Remove Ads

[QUOTE=diverdown247;1367993]

Bra Holster: Never never never! Center mass is located where? Do you truly want your life-saving defensive tool in that location knowing that it's likely to be a center mass or head shot?

/QUOTE]

Not to play devil's advocate here but if someone is taking a shot at you and your not aware its happening (IE the gun is still in the holster) wouldnt a few pounds of steel over your heart be a GOOD thing potentially?

Alex!

Might consider the Ruger SP101 in either the 357/38sp or the new 327 mag. The 327 mag has better numbers than a 9mm and she can use 32 long or 32 H&R mag to practice and move up to the available 327 loads when ready.

I carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT (380) in my pocket when my Glock or Bersa is not on my hip. My wife owns a Bersa 380CC (Concealed Carry). Both the Bersa and Kel-Tec are good weapons.

Also, www.corneredcat.com is a site by ladies for ladies with CC and other questions.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

cj
    Why didn't she like the .45? Size? Recoil? She should definitely try a revolver before committing, especially with some of the lightweights out there.

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    Why didn't she like the .45? Size? Recoil? She should definitely try a revolver before committing, especially with some of the lightweights out there.
    She said that the .45 was too big and had too much recoil. I do not know much about revolvers, but according to what I have read lightweights snubbies can have a pretty nasty recoil.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I really like the S&W snubbies in 38. Check out Charter Arms snubbies also. They're not as expensive and aren't quite as small but I've had good luck with CAs (I have the 44spl in my vehicle). Charters aren't as light as some of the S&Ws but that might be a good thing. Take your time and have fun with the search!
    Last edited by surefire7; November 12th, 2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: misspelled word
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

viable choice

I can whole-heartedly endorse the new Ruger LCR...small, light, reliable, plenty of punch with very controllable 'bite'...add CT laser sight and you have a winner.

[QUOTE=alexcantslee;1369080]
    Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post

Bra Holster: Never never never! Center mass is located where? Do you truly want your life-saving defensive tool in that location knowing that it's likely to be a center mass or head shot?

/QUOTE]

Not to play devil's advocate here but if someone is taking a shot at you and your not aware its happening (IE the gun is still in the holster) wouldnt a few pounds of steel over your heart be a GOOD thing potentially?

Alex!

Good point Alex, but remember, that piece of steel likely has live rounds inside that could also be discharged by an incoming round as well as the weapon potentially becoming shrapnel. Potentially a bra holster poses the threat of more harm than good can come from it being hit in that location.

So my turn for devil's advocate. Exactly what firearm would you be wearing in a bra holster that would weigh "a few pounds"?

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    Ok, some suggestions as I've had to overcome this type of challenge with my wife.

Bump on the CZ...love mine!
    I like my Shadow very much. Actually, I suggested her a RAMI with decocker, but she does not want a pistol

Thank you for your ad.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

[QUOTE=diverdown247;1369984]
    Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post

Good point Alex, but remember, that piece of steel likely has live rounds inside that could also be discharged by an incoming round as well as the weapon potentially becoming shrapnel. Potentially a bra holster poses the threat of more harm than good can come from it being hit in that location.

So my turn for devil's advocate. Exactly what firearm would you be wearing in a bra holster that would weigh "a few pounds"?
    Not to hijack the thread, but that's nonsense. The only way you can cause a round to discharge by hitting it with another round is to hit the the primer - and the odds of that happening are practically non-existant. Simply hitting a cartridge case will put a hole in the case. It's highly unlikely the power would even burn.

The weapon turning to shrapnel? Again, not very likely. More probable is the incoming round being deflected towards another part of the body.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I have noticed that, every time that my gun buddy and I go into a gun store or gun show, women and friends are coming in to ask about and handle small CCW guns for their purses and or coats. Question for one and all, including myself and everyone else: Will you have the mind or the time to rack back a [semi-automatic pistol] slide and or flip off/up a safety device? To prevent a carjack attack, at close range, I have a small six-shot revolver hidden inside my door pouch below my car window. Bigger semi-auto pistols are scattered about the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Question for one and all, including myself and everyone else: Will you have the mind or the time to rack back a [semi-automatic pistol] slide and or flip off/up a safety device? To prevent a carjack attack, at close range, I have a small six-shot revolver hidden inside my door pouch below my car window. Bigger semi-auto pistols are scattered about the house.
    I don't like most small autos. I have carried a Colt mustang in .380 and 1/2 cock solved the slide issue, not truly cocked and locked like a 1911 and no grip safety.
    Now if I need small its a 5 shot revolver.

IMHO, unless you train a lot (many women do not-please don't take this wrong -I'm one ) I would think a revolver would be best. Just point and shoot it. When SHTF, remembering to cock a 1/2 cocked pistol or rack a slide or take off a safety might not happen fast enough.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

CC

Quote Originally Posted by KaH View Post
    I'm not saying she could conceal a S&W 500 wearing a business suit or skirt, but she could conceal a full frame 1911 or Glock with little to no problem, I bet. Just my two cents.
    Any Woman who can conceal a S&W 500 does not NEED a gun to defend herself.

Try: A Kel-tec PF9. Reasonably small for a 9.

Please note: The Mustang 380 has the Mk IV (1980) safety. It blocks the firing pin unless the trigger is heal back. Cannot fire accidently. I carry one. ( I am a smaller guy, 5'7) and concealment is a priority. Here in Florida, long pants are for the 2 months of below 60 degrees. Shorts and a golf shirt is considered business casual dress. I use an IWB holster. Would work for most smaller persons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links