Defensive Carry banner

Questions about CC for a lady

4K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  Rugergirl 
#1 ·
Once again I am asking for your advices. A friend of mine got hers CCW permit for a couple of weeks ago, and now she is looking for a CC. She tried my 9’s, a CZ Shadow with FMJ Federal 115gr and 124gr, and the HP with ConBon DPX 115gr; she also tried a Commander before (I do not know the series or the ammo used). She did not like the 45, but she liked shooting the HP. However, she believes that it is too big for CC. I recommended her not to go below 9mm, and since she could handle the HP there is not reason for it. Now, the problem is that she does not want a pistol, she wants a snubbie. I know cero about revolvers, and then I told her to go to the range and rent some revolvers. However, I would like if you please could give me some ideas so I know what she might want to look for.

Depending of the circumstances she will carry in an IWB or something like the garter holster (Women's concealment holsters) or the the Galco Thigh Band (Galco Gunleather - Thigh Band Holster). She will show her legs to the criminal, but rather that than putting the purse away with the gun inside :embarassed::1augen71:.

Considering that she could manage the HP and she wants a snubbie, what type of gun and what caliber do you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your help.

See less See more
#3 ·
The top of the snubbie line is the S&W 442/642 in .38+P. It will take some practice for her to become proficient but they are outstanding guns...

#4 ·
The S&W Model 60 is my favorite. Mine isn't a snubbie (I have the 3" barrel) it comes in a snub and this model is great. If she wants to she can practice with .38sp and carry .357 for self-defense, or just use .38+p.

The main things I like about this model are the weight (less recoil), rubber handle (fits my hand perfectly), and caliber (can shoot .38 or .357).

I carry the 3" barrel for increased accuracy and slightly less recoil and I love it. The .357 is a little rough on the hands (I could only do 10 rounds before I called it quits) but I could shoot .38 all day. If she's looking for a snubbie, remind her that recoil increases when weight decreases. I personally don't care for the Airlite models because they're so light that shooting is painful, but it may work best for her especially since you mentioned thigh carry. And on that note, I can't imagine a thigh holster is comfortable...:)

Also, and this is just my opinion...very few guns are too big for CC. It is possible to dress around any reasonably-sized gun without drastically altering your wardrobe. I'm not saying she could conceal a S&W 500 wearing a business suit or skirt, but she could conceal a full frame 1911 or Glock with little to no problem, I bet. Just my two cents.

#30 ·
CC

I'm not saying she could conceal a S&W 500 wearing a business suit or skirt, but she could conceal a full frame 1911 or Glock with little to no problem, I bet. Just my two cents.
Any Woman who can conceal a S&W 500 does not NEED a gun to defend herself.

Try: A Kel-tec PF9. Reasonably small for a 9.

Please note: The Mustang 380 has the Mk IV (1980) safety. It blocks the firing pin unless the trigger is heal back. Cannot fire accidently. I carry one. ( I am a smaller guy, 5'7) and concealment is a priority. Here in Florida, long pants are for the 2 months of below 60 degrees. Shorts and a golf shirt is considered business casual dress. I use an IWB holster. Would work for most smaller persons.

#5 ·
Look at the snubbies from S&W...get to the gun shop and let her pick it out. After holding various pistols, one will begin calling out her name.:yup:

#6 ·
For your Mother:

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

#36 ·
I agree, for the most part.
#2 it should go bang 100% of the time, give me a revolver anyday.

She should rent and try as many firearms as she chooses, and pick the one that best meets the criteria.:smile:

#7 ·
Consider a .380?

I know the ammunition is in short supply but a .380 gives as much bang for the buck as a 9mm any day of the week. I would recommend the Bersa Thunder. It's light, compact and semi-automatic. Just my opinion as I am a fan of the semi-autos as opposed to the revolvers. GL :hand10:

#8 ·
If she wants a snubbie, look into the S&W lineup. They make the best revolvers out there today -- though, I am quite partial to the older Colt line of guns. I regularly carry a 340SC. It's chambered for .357 magnum, but I only carry .38 135gr. Speer Gold Dots in it. Here it is next to another often carried gun . . . the 9mm Springfield EMP.

#11 ·
Ok, some suggestions as I've had to overcome this type of challenge with my wife.

Bump on the CZ...love mine! I'd suggest that she look at the CZ P-07 if she likes the 9mm. Though most 9mm's are not practical for a garter style holster, that's more suited to a Ruger LCP or small revolver. On the Ruger LCP, I'd also get the Crimson Trace for those defensive situations where aligning the sights isn't an option...all it took to sell my wife on Crimson Trace was watching their defensive tactics video. I think the DVD is available at Crimson Trace dealers and it's worth watching.

A little info on the LCP: it has a longer and heavy trigger because there's no external safety. It's a defensive firearm and should be instituted as such. Don't let the heavy trigger fool you, the LCP becomes very accurate when it's fired in a defensive manner rather than a slow-fire target manner. Slow-firing a LCP tends to cause groups to open up because you start noticing the firearm move as you pull the trigger. Defensive firing (not jerking the trigger, but pulling faster than slow-fire) will tighten groups up immensely. The sights are exactly why I suggest Crimson Trace...some like the sights, others don't...but the Crimson Trace is for that situation where you unholster and can't get the firearm up to align the sights....literally point and click.

Garter holster: Maybe, but is it versitile for applications other than a dress? Is it easy to get to in multiple positions or from an awkward postion on the ground? No it's not and I promise you that if you run with one of those on, you'll wind up with bruising.

IWB: Yes, but it's not an option in a dress. Applicable in multiple positions and very easy to get to on the ground, even when you've fallen to that side or are lying on the holster. Conceal very well with the right holster and the right firearm. Crossbreed Supertuck, Crossbreed Minituck.

OWB: Maybe, but more practical in a cold-weather setting as it will avoid heavy clothing and just require manipulating a jacket to get to it.

Holster Shirt: Maybe, depends on the person and the situation as to if it's practical. These will allow the pistol to shift under the arm just above the waist in a vertical fashion (like a shoulder rig) while compressing the firearm to the body to hide it. It will require something to be worn over, but it does work to hide a full size H&K 9mm semiauto. Might not be practical for smaller pistols due to them becoming difficult to reach inside the shirt...just depends on the individual.

Bra Holster: Never never never! Center mass is located where? Do you truly want your life-saving defensive tool in that location knowing that it's likely to be a center mass or head shot?

Purchasing the right firearm for her needs is paramount. It needs to be practical, possess the capaibilty of stopping the threat, and comfortable enough that one will actually carry it. If it's heavy and bulky, it won't be carried (unless you're a guy).

Next is deciding on that first holster. What environment will receive the most exposure, what type of attire will receive the most exposure, find the holster that fits the most number of practical situations first. Then buy alternative holsters to fit other scenario needs.

You MUST practice with these holsters because different holsters require different muscle memory to react swiftly and safely. You wouldn't want to be wearing a garter holster and be used to a IWB, it will slow your reaction time considerably.

#17 ·
Bra Holster: Never never never! Center mass is located where? Do you truly want your life-saving defensive tool in that location knowing that it's likely to be a center mass or head shot?

/QUOTE]

Not to play devil's advocate here but if someone is taking a shot at you and your not aware its happening (IE the gun is still in the holster) wouldnt a few pounds of steel over your heart be a GOOD thing potentially?

Alex!

#12 ·
My wife had some of the same problems. I bought a Kel Tec P3AT for me as a sometime carry and BUG. We were shooting it at the range and she ran a box of ammo through it and looked at me and said "nice, mine" and she took it. That little powerful dependable gun goes everywhere she goes. I bought me another P3AT and said mine unless she wants it to and she can have it also.

#13 ·
I love my P3AT 380, and if my G26 is not on my hip the little Kel-tec is in my pocket.

But, if you wife wants a wheel gun, I’d recommend a smaller S&W in 38 special or I would also consider the Ruger LCR. In both I’d practice with standard load and carry +p for protection.

#14 ·
My BUG is a Rossi M88 .38Spl. in stainless.

I have carried it for years, put at least a couple thousand rounds through it at the range and never had any problem at all.

#15 ·
I'd have her look at the Lady Smith in .357 magnum. She can shoot .38's with it or go up in power to the .357.

#16 ·
I carry a Kimber ultra carry 45 when I wear it in my paddle holster, and the Kimber aegis 9mm in my purse or in my fanny pack (I also have 2 Sigs, but I'm more accurate with the kimbers so I feel more secure carrying them) .

It's really difficult for a woman to carry I'm finding. I"m small, so a lot of the holsters are too big for me- they imprint way too much. That's why I started carrying in the fanny pack. I hate carrying in my purse cuz I feel that's a prime target for the bad guys.

I will also look forward to any input on how other women carry.

#21 ·
She said that the .45 was too big and had too much recoil. I do not know much about revolvers, but according to what I have read lightweights snubbies can have a pretty nasty recoil.

#22 · (Edited)
I really like the S&W snubbies in 38.:hand10: Check out Charter Arms snubbies also. They're not as expensive and aren't quite as small but I've had good luck with CAs (I have the 44spl in my vehicle). Charters aren't as light as some of the S&Ws but that might be a good thing. Take your time and have fun with the search!:yup:

#27 ·
I have noticed that, every time that my gun buddy and I go into a gun store or gun show, women and friends are coming in to ask about and handle small CCW guns for their purses and or coats. Question for one and all, including myself and everyone else: Will you have the mind or the time to rack back a [semi-automatic pistol] slide and or flip off/up a safety device? To prevent a carjack attack, at close range, I have a small six-shot revolver hidden inside my door pouch below my car window. Bigger semi-auto pistols are scattered about the house.

#28 ·
Question for one and all, including myself and everyone else: Will you have the mind or the time to rack back a [semi-automatic pistol] slide and or flip off/up a safety device? To prevent a carjack attack, at close range, I have a small six-shot revolver hidden inside my door pouch below my car window. Bigger semi-auto pistols are scattered about the house.
I don't like most small autos. I have carried a Colt mustang in .380 and 1/2 cock solved the slide issue, not truly cocked and locked like a 1911 and no grip safety.
Now if I need small its a 5 shot revolver.

#29 ·
:smile:IMHO, unless you train a lot (many women do not-please don't take this wrong -I'm one:smile: ) I would think a revolver would be best. Just point and shoot it. When SHTF, remembering to cock a 1/2 cocked pistol or rack a slide or take off a safety might not happen fast enough.

#31 ·
I guess you are right. I am sure that she will not practice very much, and that I will have to almost pull her to the range.

She went by herself to a shop and looked at an S&W 340 Centennial; she did not buy it, but the guy almost convinced her to do it. I never shot one, but I am afraid that the recoil might be pretty nasty when shooting 357. I believe that she would be wasting her money, and I told her that if she wants an S&W a 442 or 642 in .38+P is cheaper. Tomorrow will we go to some shops and see what she likes.

Can someone tell me what is “no internal lock” in a 642 implies?

#34 ·
I have shot .357 out of one of those very light J-frames and it really hurt my hand. The .38 was much better but was still snappy. I'll bet the soft rubber grip change would help alot. Happy searching!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.