Questions about CC for a lady

This is a discussion on Questions about CC for a lady within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Once again I am asking for your advices. A friend of mine got hers CCW permit for a couple of weeks ago, and now she ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about CC for a lady

GM [OP]

Wink Questions about CC for a lady

Once again I am asking for your advices. A friend of mine got hers CCW permit for a couple of weeks ago, and now she is looking for a CC. She tried my 9’s, a CZ Shadow with FMJ Federal 115gr and 124gr, and the HP with ConBon DPX 115gr; she also tried a Commander before (I do not know the series or the ammo used). She did not like the 45, but she liked shooting the HP. However, she believes that it is too big for CC. I recommended her not to go below 9mm, and since she could handle the HP there is not reason for it. Now, the problem is that she does not want a pistol, she wants a snubbie. I know cero about revolvers, and then I told her to go to the range and rent some revolvers. However, I would like if you please could give me some ideas so I know what she might want to look for.

Depending of the circumstances she will carry in an IWB or something like the garter holster (Women's concealment holsters) or the the Galco Thigh Band (Galco Gunleather - Thigh Band Holster). She will show her legs to the criminal, but rather that than putting the purse away with the gun inside .

Considering that she could manage the HP and she wants a snubbie, what type of gun and what caliber do you recommend?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

2. Remove Ads

Check out some of these videos.
    YouTube - Holster Talk Part 1
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

VIP Member
    The top of the snubbie line is the S&W 442/642 in .38+P. It will take some practice for her to become proficient but they are outstanding guns...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

KaH
    The S&W Model 60 is my favorite. Mine isn't a snubbie (I have the 3" barrel) it comes in a snub and this model is great. If she wants to she can practice with .38sp and carry .357 for self-defense, or just use .38+p.

The main things I like about this model are the weight (less recoil), rubber handle (fits my hand perfectly), and caliber (can shoot .38 or .357).

I carry the 3" barrel for increased accuracy and slightly less recoil and I love it. The .357 is a little rough on the hands (I could only do 10 rounds before I called it quits) but I could shoot .38 all day. If she's looking for a snubbie, remind her that recoil increases when weight decreases. I personally don't care for the Airlite models because they're so light that shooting is painful, but it may work best for her especially since you mentioned thigh carry. And on that note, I can't imagine a thigh holster is comfortable...:)

Also, and this is just my opinion...very few guns are too big for CC. It is possible to dress around any reasonably-sized gun without drastically altering your wardrobe. I'm not saying she could conceal a S&W 500 wearing a business suit or skirt, but she could conceal a full frame 1911 or Glock with little to no problem, I bet. Just my two cents.

Look at the snubbies from S&W...get to the gun shop and let her pick it out. After holding various pistols, one will begin calling out her name.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For your Mother:

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

Consider a .380?

I know the ammunition is in short supply but a .380 gives as much bang for the buck as a 9mm any day of the week. I would recommend the Bersa Thunder. It's light, compact and semi-automatic. Just my opinion as I am a fan of the semi-autos as opposed to the revolvers. GL

If she wants a snubbie, look into the S&W lineup. They make the best revolvers out there today -- though, I am quite partial to the older Colt line of guns. I regularly carry a 340SC. It's chambered for .357 magnum, but I only carry .38 135gr. Speer Gold Dots in it. Here it is next to another often carried gun . . . the 9mm Springfield EMP.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    S&W are always a favorite and well known. The new Ruger LCR's have gotten pretty decent reviews, but I'd recommend her shooting a .38 before buying one.

I got a Ruger LCP for my wife, she loves it. Small, easy to carry, low recoil. She was shooting from 21 feet with it very accurately.

Ok, some suggestions as I've had to overcome this type of challenge with my wife.

Bump on the CZ...love mine! I'd suggest that she look at the CZ P-07 if she likes the 9mm. Though most 9mm's are not practical for a garter style holster, that's more suited to a Ruger LCP or small revolver. On the Ruger LCP, I'd also get the Crimson Trace for those defensive situations where aligning the sights isn't an option...all it took to sell my wife on Crimson Trace was watching their defensive tactics video. I think the DVD is available at Crimson Trace dealers and it's worth watching.

A little info on the LCP: it has a longer and heavy trigger because there's no external safety. It's a defensive firearm and should be instituted as such. Don't let the heavy trigger fool you, the LCP becomes very accurate when it's fired in a defensive manner rather than a slow-fire target manner. Slow-firing a LCP tends to cause groups to open up because you start noticing the firearm move as you pull the trigger. Defensive firing (not jerking the trigger, but pulling faster than slow-fire) will tighten groups up immensely. The sights are exactly why I suggest Crimson Trace...some like the sights, others don't...but the Crimson Trace is for that situation where you unholster and can't get the firearm up to align the sights....literally point and click.

Garter holster: Maybe, but is it versitile for applications other than a dress? Is it easy to get to in multiple positions or from an awkward postion on the ground? No it's not and I promise you that if you run with one of those on, you'll wind up with bruising.

IWB: Yes, but it's not an option in a dress. Applicable in multiple positions and very easy to get to on the ground, even when you've fallen to that side or are lying on the holster. Conceal very well with the right holster and the right firearm. Crossbreed Supertuck, Crossbreed Minituck.

OWB: Maybe, but more practical in a cold-weather setting as it will avoid heavy clothing and just require manipulating a jacket to get to it.

Holster Shirt: Maybe, depends on the person and the situation as to if it's practical. These will allow the pistol to shift under the arm just above the waist in a vertical fashion (like a shoulder rig) while compressing the firearm to the body to hide it. It will require something to be worn over, but it does work to hide a full size H&K 9mm semiauto. Might not be practical for smaller pistols due to them becoming difficult to reach inside the shirt...just depends on the individual.

Bra Holster: Never never never! Center mass is located where? Do you truly want your life-saving defensive tool in that location knowing that it's likely to be a center mass or head shot?

Purchasing the right firearm for her needs is paramount. It needs to be practical, possess the capaibilty of stopping the threat, and comfortable enough that one will actually carry it. If it's heavy and bulky, it won't be carried (unless you're a guy).

Next is deciding on that first holster. What environment will receive the most exposure, what type of attire will receive the most exposure, find the holster that fits the most number of practical situations first. Then buy alternative holsters to fit other scenario needs.

You MUST practice with these holsters because different holsters require different muscle memory to react swiftly and safely. You wouldn't want to be wearing a garter holster and be used to a IWB, it will slow your reaction time considerably.

My wife had some of the same problems. I bought a Kel Tec P3AT for me as a sometime carry and BUG. We were shooting it at the range and she ran a box of ammo through it and looked at me and said "nice, mine" and she took it. That little powerful dependable gun goes everywhere she goes. I bought me another P3AT and said mine unless she wants it to and she can have it also.

I love my P3AT 380, and if my G26 is not on my hip the little Kel-tec is in my pocket.

But, if you wife wants a wheel gun, Id recommend a smaller S&W in 38 special or I would also consider the Ruger LCR. In both Id practice with standard load and carry +p for protection.

My BUG is a Rossi M88 .38Spl. in stainless.

I have carried it for years, put at least a couple thousand rounds through it at the range and never had any problem at all.

I'd have her look at the Lady Smith in .357 magnum. She can shoot .38's with it or go up in power to the .357.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links