First CC

This is a discussion on First CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, a good belt makes it so much easier...welcome!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First CC

Yes, a good belt makes it so much easier...welcome!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for all the support. I know that I will get less self conscience as time goes by, but it is still good to hear it from others.

With all the comments on belts, that is the next thing I will look into. The belt I used is pretty good, but I'm sure there is something better out there.

Snowman23 - I have a Crossbreed Supertuck on order - can't wait till it gets here, although that is still a couple of weeks off.

Samwolf - Congrats to you!
    3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 husband
    2008 Suzuki C50
    2008 Sig 239

Hey Bogieb, something I didn't see mentioned here and maybe doesn't NEED to be said but make sure you adjust your wardrobe if need be. Namely, your waist size on your pants. I started carrying IWB over the summer months and like a dummy, knew my waistband was too tight with the holster in place but did it anyway and what happened? Injured a disc in the 4-5 lumbar space. Now I only carry OWB or make sure I wear over-sized waist on my pants.

+1 on the belt comments. Not as important when IWB but it sure helps distribute the weight. Darn necessary for OWB carry. I use the Wilderness Instructor belt with the polymer insert. Had to make sure that I didn't have to cinch my belt too tight to keep holster in place, thereby not aggravating my back injury. And since I'm carrying OWB, the belt is not visible anyway, with an untucked shirt so it doesn't look out of place in casual dress.

You probably know all this but just saying it 'cause it might help you or another avoid the same problem.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    Hey Bogieb, something I didn't see mentioned here and maybe doesn't NEED to be said but make sure you adjust your wardrobe if need be. Namely, your waist size on your pants. I started carrying IWB over the summer months and like a dummy, knew my waistband was too tight with the holster in place but did it anyway and what happened? Injured a disc in the 4-5 lumbar space. Now I only carry OWB or make sure I wear over-sized waist on my pants.

+1 on the belt comments. Not as important when IWB but it sure helps distribute the weight. Darn necessary for OWB carry. I use the Wilderness Instructor belt with the polymer insert. Had to make sure that I didn't have to cinch my belt too tight to keep holster in place, thereby not aggravating my back injury. And since I'm carrying OWB, the belt is not visible anyway, with an untucked shirt so it doesn't look out of place in casual dress.

You probably know all this but just saying it 'cause it might help you or another avoid the same problem.
    That is certainly a lesson well worth noting! Most of my pants are already oversized in the waist after losing a bit of weight last year. People are used to seing me with baggy pants and a belt to hold them up, so the style of dress won't be different. However, I'll still be carefull and go shopping if the pants are too tight with the IWB.

Sorry for your troubles but thanks for alerting me to the possibilities!
    2008 Suzuki C50
    2008 Sig 239

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Congrats, now get into a course and practice!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bogieb View Post
    Snowman23 - I have a Crossbreed Supertuck on order - can't wait till it gets here, although that is still a couple of weeks off.
    Did they tell you they were that far out on delivery? I just ordered and received mine within the past month. I ordered on a Thursday and it showed up 9 days later on a Saturday. I hope it comes soon for you. FYI....it really helped to wear it around the house gun or not to get it molded to my hip. The horsehide was a bit stiff in the beginning.

BTW...my avatar's nickname is Bogie...or Mr. B..real name not far off.

Congradulation! welcome to the forum. You picked an excellent first weapon for CCW - P239 is number 2 on my list of fire arms to purchase. Keep your head up and wits about you.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    from Central Florida!

Congrats, now get into a course and practice!

ret
    I've already had 3 courses (one was before I even bought the gun), and I plan to take more in the future. I make it to the range at least once a month - more when I have the time. And I have been practicing drawing and presentation at home.
    2008 Suzuki C50
    2008 Sig 239

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Did they tell you they were that far out on delivery? I just ordered and received mine within the past month. I ordered on a Thursday and it showed up 9 days later on a Saturday. I hope it comes soon for you. FYI....it really helped to wear it around the house gun or not to get it molded to my hip. The horsehide was a bit stiff in the beginning.

BTW...my avatar's nickname is Bogie...or Mr. B..real name not far off.
    The website said 2-3 weeks, so I am taking them at their word. It would be great if it came earlier!

I went with the horsehide also - will keep your tip in mind about breaking it in. Thanks!
    2008 Suzuki C50
    2008 Sig 239

Welcome to our forum! Congrats on a first time CC as well. The first few days you will feel as if everyone will notice your handgun. Nothing could be further from the truth.

As others have already mentioned the vast majority of people out there pay very little attention to other people. They are more self involved than anything else. There is very little chance they'll spot you CC'ing. That feeling of thinking everyone knows your carrying will pass very quickly.

Again, congrats on your first steps into the world of CC!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Just be thankfull also about not being in condition "white" like many of the people you passed by today. They would not know a threat until the knife blade was against their throat!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links