First CC

This is a discussion on First CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my Sig for a little over a year, and I've had my CC license since February (mainly to be legal when transporting a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First CC

First CC

I've had my Sig for a little over a year, and I've had my CC license since February (mainly to be legal when transporting a loaded gun to the range). But, I've never carried, although I've thought about it a lot recently. Today I cc'ed to do some errands, stopping at several local shops. I just used the paddle holster that came with the gun, and once I got used to the weight on my hip, it was very comfortable. I was just nervous that someone would see the bit of bulge, although this is sweatshirt season so I had on somewhat bulky clothing anyway.

Have an IWB holster coming soon, so should have a better cc method.

Anyway, just wanted to tell "someone" and this is the crowd of people that will understand. Suggestions are always welcome, if you have some for a noobe carrier.
    3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 husband
    2008 Suzuki C50
    2008 Sig 239

2. Remove Ads

That "self conscious" feeling will go away with confidence in your concealment. It took me some time, but once I determined what holsters to use and how to cover with a garment it became very natural to carry and to be comfortable.

Keep it up and I'm sure your confidence will grow.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Yes, at first it feels strange, and empowering in a odd way, but before long it becomes no different than wearing a belt or putting on an old pair of shoes….just part of the wardrobe.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Congrats on your first carry! You will get used to the feel and weight and as others have said, it becomes no different than putting on your pants or a belt or shoes. Also, you will learn how to "dress around the gun" so to speak, and depending on the carry method might not be any different than your normal daily dress. Also, while carrying be it open or concealed, ALWAYS keep your SA up and safety is your #1 priority, be you armed or not.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

98% of the world isn’t paying attention to anything except what is on their ipod or their ringing cell phone. The akward feeling of carrying will go away.

Get a good belt, a good holster and carry more!

VIP Member
    Congrats on joining the carrying ranks...As others have said it will get more comfortable, every time you go out carrying. Besides a good holster, you definitely need a good 'gun belt'. There are several from holster makers that are good, the beltman is outstanding and even belts from 5.11 and Blackhawk are good... Once you use a good belt you will realize how much a difference they make...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

As others have said, you will get used to it. I got my permit in Sept and have tried to carry as much as possible to get used to it. I actually found myself checking last night that I didn't have it on when I was standing at the time clock waiting to punch in since my company has a no gun policy.
    Last edited by Chunkychuck; November 12th, 2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: correct spelling

I'm new to CCW myself (just 2 months). Much like you the first few times I carried was with the holster that came with my XD. That didn't last long. I bought a cheap leather yaqui slide holster that was a little better, but not to concealable. I guess in hindsight I knew better thanks to the many threads here on DC that suggest a quality holster & belt.

I now have a Crossbreed Supertuck that is excellent. Carry every day, around co-workers, family....no one has noticed. I discounted the belt thing initially. It's now next on my list. I use my Crossbreed with a regular belt and I can now see that it's a bit flimsy to really allow the holster to conceal as well as it was designed to. However, with the right pants/jeans the clips allow me to wear it without a belt....even this is better than the other two failed holsters I tried previously.

Keep carrying. It becomes natural quickly with the right gear.

Congrats!

I did my first WWW yesterday. (Everywhere but Wally World) I stopped at my local country supply store, hit the Lowe's in town and then did my grocery shopping at Publix. The only thing different from all the other times I've made that trip was the way I felt, safer and more comforted. It felt good.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the carrying. The more you do it the more natural it becomes.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Congrats on joining the carrying ranks...As others have said it will get more comfortable, every time you go out carrying. Besides a good holster, you definitely need a good 'gun belt'. There are several from holster makers that are good, the beltman is outstanding and even belts from 5.11 and Blackhawk are good... Once you use a good belt you will realize how much a difference they make...
    I just got my Beltman belt today. It was well worth the wait and the money
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Welcome to the "sheepdog" pack! The more you carry, the more at ease you will be with carrying. No one will ever be more aware of your weapon than you will be. Loose shirts, dark colors, and prints are your friend. You will always print less than you think you do. Make sure your belt/holster rig is strong/stiff enough to support the weight of the weapon and hold it tightly against your body. Don't be constantly glancing around guiltily to see who's watching you. Trust me, no one is. The sheeple are oblivious. Don't be using the holster to hike your pants or constantly be touching it to be sure it's still in place. If it's a good belt/holster rig, it will be. Don't keep pulling your shirt tail down. Unless you're out in a tornado, it will stay right where it is. Learn to kneel/stoop rather than bend. Learn to reach for high items with your off hand. Learn to pass through close crowds with your strong side turned to the rear. Learn to protect your gun with your strong side elbow/forearm so you don't bump people with it. Unless that bulge under your shirt can POSITIVELY be identified as a gun, you're in the clear. It could be a cell phone, day planner, or any other belt-hung electronic device.

Of the 10 people out of 1,000 who DO "make" you:
    8 will assume you're some type of LEO and ignore you.
    1 will be a BG who suddenly decides this isn't the day to rob McDonald's.
    1 will be another CWP holder who will smile to himself and whisper, "Today I'm not alone."

Carry in peace, bro.

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard Bogieb!

Congratulations on your first CC. After a while, you'll feel strange when you don't carry!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

First of all congratulations and welcome to the forum. Over time you’ll forget it’s there.
    Most of the public are sheep and are not aware of anything around them much less a little bulge.

I have two recommendations:

One is to buy a quality leather holster that holds the gun close to your body with a minor cant forward.

I have two and use one of the other to carry my G26 in
    Side Guard Holsters - Home Page

Kramer Handgun Leather: Revolver holsters, concealment holsters, paddle holster, 1911 holster, ankle holster

The second one is to carry at 4 O’clock, that way your body helps to break up the outline of the gun.

the belt comments are very important, I've got a belt from the beltman in transit now....my 2.5" 686 will feel ALOT more secure now :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links