Who wears a shoulder holster?

This is a discussion on Who wears a shoulder holster? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my glock 17 in a sholder rig sometimes.Matter fact thats what I had on yesterday....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who wears a shoulder holster?

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I carry my glock 17 in a sholder rig sometimes.Matter fact thats what I had on yesterday.

2. Remove Ads

Guide's Choice

I recently purchased a Guide's Choice from Diamond D leather (out of Alaska) for hiking. Not a true shoulder rig, but it is the best setup I've found for day hikes, camping, fishing, or other such things where I want a weapon secure, and not in my way.

I bought an inexpensive nylon PassPort shoulder holster to try out the concept. It was horizontal carry, without magazine pouches, just a real bare-bones rig. It proved to be very practical, comfortable for all day wear, and plenty good for quick access.

My plan was to try out a shoulder holster and then upgrade to a really nice one if I liked the method. After a few months with the PassPort, I bought another from them, but with a dual mag pouches on the off side. The magazines balance the pistol and it is even more comfortable that before.

As far as how well it conceals: One day at work we were loading a truck and since it was unusually hot for winter, I removed my cover shirt (no gun issues with it - we are FFLs). The Boss says "When did you get a shoulder holster?" "Six months ago", I replied.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

ok so I was at the gun shop today to get my shoulder holster. They didnt have one to fit my XD 45. I really like the way the UNCLE MIKES shoulder rig fit and felt (without a gun in the holster). Does any one know which number or size to order directly from uncle mikes? my guess would be a # 5 or # 15 for the propack shoulder set up. Just wondering if anyone out there already has one

OD*
    I occasionally carry in an Original Jackass Rig (before they changed the name to "Miami Classic").
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

i got a ruger p95..What shoulder holster should i get
    XD 9 sc
    Ruger p95

Quote Originally Posted by pretty ruger View Post
    I love Galco, I think they're the best non-custom shoulder holster maker on the planet. Now then, having said that, are you sure you want a shoulder rig? How do you want to carry, vertical or horizontal? Do you need a double or single mag pouch for the offside? What about belt tiedowns? Do you need or want those?

I'd recommend trying a cheap nylon one first actually(not for everyday carry, around the house to see how you like it.) Make sure you're comfortable carrying that way first. I'd try Uncle Mikes first. I'd hate to tell you to get a $150 leather rig only to find out you don't like it. Plus with the cheap ones, you can experiment with the add ons cheaply too and find out how you want to set a leather one up that'll be the most comfortable for you.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    I love Galco, I think they're the best non-custom shoulder holster maker on the planet. Now then, having said that, are you sure you want a shoulder rig? How do you want to carry, vertical or horizontal? Do you need a double or single mag pouch for the offside? What about belt tiedowns? Do you need or want those?

I'd recommend trying a cheap nylon one first actually(not for everyday carry, around the house to see how you like it.) Make sure you're comfortable carrying that way first. I'd try Uncle Mikes first. I'd hate to tell you to get a $150 leather rig only to find out you don't like it. Plus with the cheap ones, you can experiment with the add ons cheaply too and find out how you want to set a leather one up that'll be the most comfortable for you.
    i want it vertical.. single mag, nd no belt ties
    XD 9 sc
    Ruger p95

I use them, as I find shoulder holsters to offer better concealment for larger guns (e.g. I wouldn't be able to carry concealed a .357 Mag revolver with 6" barrel any other way). Another plus - gun weight is distributed over the shoulders (especially big factor for large heavy guns). The downside - the draw is slower and less convenient.

I used Uncle Mike's, Hunter Joe, De Santis. All are OK, all have their quirks.

Mike (post 28),
    Take a look at this holster-
    K.L. Null Holster Ltd. - Holsters
    Anything like the one you designed?

I wore a shoulder holster for alot of years in my former life. They are a good option if you drive alot, are sitting at a desk alot. Others have mentioned several cons so I'll add one more- when you draw, you are sweeping everything on your left side to your front (presuming you are a righty). You have got to train to " keep yur booger-hook off the bang switch" until you are aligned with your target. A shoulder holster gives you alot bigger arc to screw that little concept up. Truely a training issue. Don't just blow it off.

Quote Originally Posted by 86thecat View Post
    Mike (post 28),
    Take a look at this holster-
    K.L. Null Holster Ltd. - Holsters
    Anything like the one you designed?
    The most obvious difference is that theirs is "butt down"...mine is right-side-up.

Beyond that, it's a bit hard to visualize how their's would fit, since they didn't provide any pictures of it being worn.

I also couldn't tell much about the materials they used. Mine is mostly elastic webbing. The important points are that everything needs to be snugged-in very securely (so that the gun can't flop around at all), but in a way that is stable in the long-term with all normal body movements, and with as much comfort as possible.

Mine is definitely NOT quick-draw. I wanted to be sure that the gun is held COMPLETELY securely, and with OPTIMUM concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by pretty ruger View Post
    As I said in my original post on this thread, my design process of an under-the-shirt shoulder holster led me to conclude that the design of brassieres has to address many of the same issues required of a really-concealable shoulder holster harness. So, any woman who wants to conceal underneath a shirt already has a headstart on the harness problem.

Recently, someone posted (maybe on this forum, but I'm not sure) a link to a webpage that showed a holster that could be velcro-ed to the side of a brassiere. Seems like it might be a possible solution.

I suspect the main problem with under-the-shirt carry for women, though, is that most women don't like "baggy" (or maybe "roomy" is a more positive term). A form-fitting shirt just won't do it. Neither will a shirt with a thin, filmy fabric.

I have a vertical ride shoulder holster, but seldom use it here in the FL heat. It's fairly comfortable, but without a jacket, not of much use to me. I'll stick with the OWB strong side and a light cover shirt.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFontenot View Post
    Recently, someone posted (maybe on this forum, but I'm not sure) a link to a webpage that showed a holster that could be velcro-ed to the side of a brassiere. Seems like it might be a possible solution.
    One additional comment:

Whether the above solution would conceal well or not depends on how well the holster and gun would be snugged-in by strapping it to the OUTSIDE of the side of the brassiere. To get really good concealment might require attaching the holster to the INSIDE of the side of the brassiere, and I'm not sure if women would find that comfortable or not.

I also found, during my design process, that the exact position of the gun under the armpit is very critical to concealability under just a shirt...that's why I had to cant the gun slightly AFT of vertical, which is obviously not optimal for a quick draw. But it was worth the tradeoff to me, for optimum concealability.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links