Who wears a shoulder holster?

This is a discussion on Who wears a shoulder holster? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry in a shoulder holster only when I am wearing a jacket or coat, which is not very often here in Arizona, but they ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who wears a shoulder holster?

DC Founder
    I carry in a shoulder holster only when I am wearing a jacket or coat, which is not very often here in Arizona, but they are very good at concealing full size guns in that application.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

I use a Nevada Gun Leather upside down rig for my S&W M36 snubbie. Very comfortable, I don't use it in the summer, but works great, Fall & Winter. I have been known to wear it under a baggy sweatshirt...works well. I believe their web site is, gunleather.com

I like a shoulder rig that is secure, first off - and some (cheap) vertical rigs don't have that. The gun is fine until you lean forward too far, and then *plonk*
    No idea if the Bianchi X-15 and other models have such a loose hold on the gun as the cheap leather one did. I doubt it.
    Galco's Miami Classic is excellent. Plenty secure and comfortable. Unlike the Ken Null SMZ (which is also secure) it doesn't require attachment to the belt or pants. Very good design, IMO. Does print with a 5" 1911 and my closer-fitting suit jackets, but the next size up gives me no problems at all. Also worn under an unbuttoned print shirt in summer months.
    Might be odd, but I find that the worst season for wearing the shoulder rig is the always variable Texas winter & fall. I don't think it will get to be cold on a reliable basis until December - and until then, you have the issue of how to conceal the gun. When it's 50 out, you don't want a Hawaiian shirt +t-shirt. When it's 76-80, you don't want a wool suit coat (especially when many indoor locations are running the heaters). I discovered the Coronado Leather vests recently, which are excellent for this unreliable time of the year. Wear a coat over it, and take off the coat when it gets too hot. unfasten the vest when/if it gets too hot.
    But when the weather is reliably cold (or warm) there is no difficulty at all. It's just the inbetween times that cause trouble. I find shoulder rigs very comfortable (after a week-month of adjustment). Galco is good, and Andrews Leather has the highly respected Monarch shoulder rig. Don't have a monarch, but I've never seen anything but positive reviews of it.

I have six different sholder rigs, the X-15 (2) work best for hunting revolvers such as my S&W 629 and my Super Blackhawk. For years I carried a S&W model 39 in another X-15. My biggest problem with them is the bonk problem some other poster mentioned. Shoulder rigs have their place.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links