N. C. Carry While Hunting?

This is a discussion on N. C. Carry While Hunting? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I know if you are hunting you probably have a gun already , but is it legal to carry concealed in N.C. during the ...

Thread: N. C. Carry While Hunting?

Ok, I know if you are hunting you probably have a gun already , but is it legal to carry concealed in N.C. during the Muzzle Loader, and gun Season?
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

without the permit not legal anytime
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Pistols
     During the open hunting season for rabbits, squirrels, opossums,
    raccoons, furbearing animals and legal nongame animals and
    birds, these species may be taken with a pistol of .22-caliber
    with a barrel not less than 5.5 inches in length.
     A hunter or trapper lawfully taking wildlife by another method
    may use a pistol to dispatch the animal or bird taken, except as
    noted below.
     Pistols may not be carried during the bow-and-arrow and
    muzzleloader deer hunting seasons.
     Deer, bear and wild boar may be taken with a handgun during the
    established gun hunting season provided that the handgun is not
    less than .24-caliber.Muzzleloading pistols are not legal for hunting.
     It is unlawful to hunt or take wild turkeys with pistols.
    Above is from NC regulations as published by NC Wildlife. It doesn't specifically address CCW, but it does address what firearms may be used to hunt and/or dispatch injured animals.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/2009_...RegsDigest.pdf
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    Ok, I know if you are hunting you probably have a gun already , but is it legal to carry concealed in N.C. during the Muzzle Loader, and gun Season?
    Muzzle loading season no. Also no for bow & arrow.
    Gun season for deer yes with permit as long as it is .24 cal or larger.
    Small game it must be a .22 with at least a 5.5 inch barrel.
    ducks, no since you cannot shoot ducks with a handgun + the non toxic shot rule.

Related note is that concealed handguns are not legal on game lands except for gun deer season; except for the .22 exception see game lands regs.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    When I use to hunt I'd carry a revolver sometimes it was a 30cal ruger black hawk single action.This is one revolver I really kick myself for selling even though I made 150% profit ! The other one was a ruger security-six
    357.The 30 cal was much better suited for hunting as it had a 7.5 inch barrel
    and could really take some hot loads.State of Maine the hunting license take
    over once you start hunting and your ccw take over once you start putting firearms in your vehicle.For example ,under no circumstances can you have a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle.

Thatís a good question.
    All of Florida state forest and parks allow CCL holder to carry while enjoying the woods.

But during muzzle loader or bow season, the hunting regulations prohibit other weapons, so I would assume your state would be the same.

It would not apply if you were not hunting.

I always hunt during general gun season, so it does not apply, and most of the time I carried a little NAA 22 revolver with me.

I recall one time while visiting a friendís SC ďdog huntĒ camp, I shot a big deer with 12-ga buckshot, when I walked over to the deer the buck was trying to get back up, so I used that little 22 to dispatch with a head shot.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Thatís a good question.
    All of Florida state forest and parks allow CCL holder to carry while enjoying the woods.

But during muzzle loader or bow season, the hunting regulations prohibit other weapons,
    Except for CC IS ALLOWED IN FL. during BOW & Muzzel Loader AS
    LONG AS IT IS CONSEALED
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Except for CC IS ALLOWED IN FL. during BOW & Muzzel Loader AS
    LONG AS IT IS CONSEALED
    Thanks... did not know that

Hope this helps. It probably won't. NC is way confusing on this issue. This came directly from Amy Willis, Division of Wildlife Management.

"Good Morning,

Thank you for the email. I have spoken with our Rules Biologist regarding your question. You are not the first to request information or a clear understanding. Please see below the explanation that was given. Please let me know if you need additional assistance.

Weapons on Game Lands

It is unlawful to possess a firearm or bow and arrow on a game land at any time except:
    1. During the open hunting seasons or hunting days for game birds (which are waterfowl, doves, woodcock; snipe, rails, gallinules, moorhens, coots, grouse, pheasant, quail and turkey) or game animals (which are deer, bear, rabbits, squirrels, wild boar, bobcats, opossum and raccoon) other than fox;
    2. Unless the device is cased or not immediately available for use;
    3. When possessed and used by persons participating in field trials on field trial areas;
    4. When possessed and used on target shooting areas designated by the landowner;
    5. When possessed in designated camping areas for defense of persons and property

However, .22 caliber pistols with barrels not greater than seven and one-half inches in length and shooting only short, long, or long rifle ammunition may be carried as side arms on game lands at any time other than by hunters during the special bow and arrow and muzzle‑loading firearms deer hunting seasons and by individuals training dogs during closed season without field trial authorization.

Furthermore, only shotguns with any size shot and bow and arrow may be possessed during the big game season for turkey.

Previously, you were limited to a shotgun shell no larger than no. 4 and rifle or pistol no larger than .22 rimfire when the big game seasons were closed. By adopting H29, the Commission is allowing hunters to possess more powerful weapons during small game and migratory bird seasons, in addition to their possession during big game seasons, with the exception of turkey season (no handguns and no rifles)."

Links