Found a handgun along side road today

This is a discussion on Found a handgun along side road today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd have turned it in to local law enforcement also, either state police or Sheriffs Dept. The primary difference is that I would make sure ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Found a handgun along side road today

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    I'd have turned it in to local law enforcement also, either state police or Sheriffs Dept. The primary difference is that I would make sure that none of my fingerprints made it onto the pistol. I would have put it in either a plastic or paper bag for transport.
    If it had been used in any crimes, any existing fingerprints might have been destroyed by you when handling it.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well, I would've turned it in too. I wouldn't worry about my prints being on it, though...Not many BG's are going to turn in a found gun, they used in a crime...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    If the posters that said it should be turned over, if you find a $100.00 bill on the ground do you take it to the SO or bank and turn it in, I bet not. The money could have been used to buy drugs or some other crime you know.
    A loaded handgun is not the same as a $100 bill. FYI.

Also, if I even suspected where the c-note MAY have come from, I will seek to find the owner. I don't need $100 badly enough to take someone else's money. YMMV.

Just be glad you aren't in UK or you'd be facing 5 years!

Just be glad you don't live in the UK or you'd be facing 5 years in prison for merely being in possession of a piece of forbidden fruit!

Yeah, you did the right thing! I think with the fear of gun confiscation which looms over this country, I think we are all somewhat hesitant to turn in a found firearm, so we can have a firearm the government has no record of when they come to confiscate peoples registered firearms.

However, there is a significant probability that weapon had been used in a robbery, a homicide or even stolen. If such is the case, you certainly don't want to be the one left holding the "hot potato" if LEO's were to one day find it in your possession.

Good job for turning it in!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

GM
    I should turn it in immediately; no doubt about it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

you did the right thing to turn it in.

you did the right thing...

EW3
    US: "Good job sir, you did the right thing"

UK: "Sir, you are under arrest! You're going away for 5 years."*

*Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

IMHO, you did the RIGHT THING!!

Puffer

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I have also found a gun in the past, however, I did not turn it over the the sheriff, I simply called them and told them I had found a gun, I gave them the Brand and said it was a rifle, if they had a report of any one missing a gun, to call and give me a description of it, if the description match, I would help them get it back to the rightful owner.

They wanted to come and get it, I said not happening, they called 3 times that day with 3 different descriptions, none even close. They gave up. I could very well see if I turned it over to them, some deputy would own it by now.

Most jurisdictions around here destroy any guns used in crimes and unclaimed guns. They destroy some very nice equipment. It should be auctioned off to help with their operation cost, but no, they destroy them.

If the posters that said it should be turned over, if you find a $100.00 bill on the ground do you take it to the SO or bank and turn it in, I bet not. The money could have been used to buy drugs or some other crime you know.

Z
    I do and I did - twice. It wasn't my money. If I find a gun I know whether it is mine or not. I don't need anything bad enough to take something that I know belongs to someone else.
    NRA Life Member

I have also found a gun in the past, however, I did not turn it over the the sheriff, I simply called them and told them I had found a gun, I gave them the Brand and said it was a rifle, if they had a report of any one missing a gun, to call and give me a description of it, if the description match, I would help them get it back to the rightful owner.

They wanted to come and get it, I said not happening, they called 3 times that day with 3 different descriptions, none even close. They gave up. I could very well see if I turned it over to them, some deputy would own it by now.

Most jurisdictions around here destroy any guns used in crimes and unclaimed guns. They destroy some very nice equipment. It should be auctioned off to help with their operation cost, but no, they destroy them.

Z
    Love this!

[QUOTE=GunnyBunny;1370925]Your original post didn't say what brand it was. Please satisfy my curiosity.[/QU
    Sorry dont remember the brand, it was a 1911 style made in Italy. Said imported by FIE miami

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I am a WV resident and in a quasi LEO job...what county did you find it in?
    webster

[QUOTE=Fishshavers;1371110]
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Your original post didn't say what brand it was. Please satisfy my curiosity.[/QU
    Sorry dont remember the brand, it was a 1911 style made in Italy. Said imported by FIE miami

Sounds like one of those left handed guns.

Had you kept that gun, sure enough, you would have been caught by Murphy's law .
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links