Found a handgun along side road today

This is a discussion on Found a handgun along side road today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 20 odd years ago my son found a S&W 38sp in a ditch near the dirt road we lived off of. Helped son clean up ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Found a handgun along side road today

20 odd years ago my son found a S&W 38sp in a ditch near the dirt road we lived off of. Helped son clean up S&W and bought ammo.

Son fires it and some time latter traded it for a deer rifle. S&W was beat up from being in ditch for a while but still functioned well after good cleaning. Deer rifle was meat gun and used well on wild hogs and deer.

Never really thought of S&W as a practical weapon at that time, but the deer rifle keep meat on table, and could serve as defense weapon if needed.

Times have change in our great nation, and today the S&W would be much more valued. But it still would not be of much use putting meat on the table.

2. Remove Ads

I would have bagged it.... and not touched it anymore than I had too.... just in case it had been used in a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    US: "Good job sir, you did the right thing"

UK: "Sir, you are under arrest! You're going away for 5 years."*

*Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun

That is one messed up story...
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Naaa, it turns out fine in the end... See the soldier was needed for a suicide mission so the military along with the constable set him up. Luckily he fell for it hook, line & sinker. We'll hafta wait to find out if he survives the mission though.

I LOST one many years ago. Went riding my motorcycle with the dang thing in my jacket pocket. When I returned home, it was gone. My main concern was that a con would find it during trash pick-up detail and shoot a guard.
    I walked about a fourth of my motorcycle route and didn't find it. I was going to walk the rest the next day, but called the Sheriff's office to report it.

They already had it. It had fallen (bounced) into the middle of a guy's driveway and he turned it in. (THANKS whoever you were).

Shame faced, I went into town and picked it up. All they wanted was the serial number to confirm that it was mine.

You certainly did the honorable, and wise, thing by turning it in. You might be happier not knowing why that gun was ditched in the first place.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think it was accidently dropped. Had it been tossed, it would certainly have been more than a foot from the roads edge.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    Wow, good job turning it in.
    Last edited by shooterX; November 14th, 2009 at 11:30 AM.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    You did the wise and conservative thing. Kudos for thinking clearly and taking the right steps!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Turning it in was the right thing to do, but if it is not stolen and had not been used in a crime, and the owner cannot be found, you should be able to have it returned to you. Anyone agree?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    You did the honest thing. I would have handled it with a handkerchief to make sure fingerprints were obtainable if it had not been cleaned.

Something or someone can take everything you have except your integrity. You have to give that up.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Turning it in was the right thing to do, but if it is not stolen and had not been used in a crime, and the owner cannot be found, you should be able to have it returned to you. Anyone agree?
    +1 I agree

I would agree with that. But getting to that point...I surely would not want to touch it too much. That UK story about the guy turning in the shotgun sure made me think.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishshavers View Post
    While working, in rural WV, i found a .40 pistol laying along side the road today. The gun was laying 1 foot off the pavement. Pulled over and checked to see if it was loaded. It had a full magazine, empty chamber, and the safety was on. I was in an area with ZERO cell phone coverage, and wouldnt have any for the next several hours. I removed the magazine and put the gun in my truck's lockbox. When I got back to town I stopped at the State Police barracks, and handed it over to them.
    It might have been used in a crime, and now your prints are all over it.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

If the found gun had prints on it and was used in a crime they would have OP prints on file already and use those as elimination prints. Leaving BG prints.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links