Found a handgun along side road today

This is a discussion on Found a handgun along side road today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by automatic slim I think it was accidently dropped. Had it been tossed, it would certainly have been more than a foot from ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Found a handgun along side road today

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I think it was accidently dropped. Had it been tossed, it would certainly have been more than a foot from the roads edge.
    If it was tossed the other side of the road would have been much smarter, as it is a steep drop off.

2. Remove Ads

Having left two GPS units and a cell phone on the roof of my truck over the years part of me is not convinced it was tossed. Good job on turning it in.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Turning it in was the right thing to do, but if it is not stolen and had not been used in a crime, and the owner cannot be found, you should be able to have it returned to you. Anyone agree?
    Exactly my thoughts, some posters have said they would not "take" something that did not belong to them, the difference is finding vs taking. If the rightful owner can not be found, nothing wrong with a little good luck once in a while.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I've heard tell of people finding FA Colt M4's laying in their front yard,I don't think finders keepers works
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You did the right thing by turning it in. A paper bad would be about the best thing to put such a weapon inside in order to keep all the prints (at least thats how I've been trained).

As far as finding things, I believe a good faith effort should be made to find the rightful owner (and in this situation handing the firearm to authorities is certainly doing that), but if the owner can't be located after a reasonable search, I'm not personally gonna throw a hundred dollar bill back on the ground, but I'd probably give it to a charity, like the Wounded Warriors Project (a personal favorite).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Turning it in was the right thing to do, but if it is not stolen and had not been used in a crime, and the owner cannot be found, you should be able to have it returned to you. Anyone agree?
    , That's the way the lost and found works in Ga.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Good call on turning it in. It might be tempting but as others have stated it's simply not worth the risk of keeping it, and it's simply not yours to begin with.

The only thing I can think of to do differently, would be to leave it exactly where it is, not touch it and call the sheriff out to pick it up. People might be tempted to safe and clear the gun, i would only keep other people away, it's not going to go off by itself and you may contaminate evidence. If it was used in a crime the police will need to know exactly where it was found and the condition it was in. They can collect it as evidence safely and properly.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

You did the right thing, now it would have been much harder if it were a custom night hawk, but I suppose we would all turn it in as well,,,,,, right.
    Randy
    Law Enforcement Armorer
    NRA
    GOA
    Range Officer
    Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    Good call on turning it in. It might be tempting but as others have stated it's simply not worth the risk of keeping it, and it's simply not yours to begin with.

The only thing I can think of to do differently, would be to leave it exactly where it is, not touch it and call the sheriff out to pick it up. People might be tempted to safe and clear the gun, i would only keep other people away, it's not going to go off by itself and you may contaminate evidence. If it was used in a crime the police will need to know exactly where it was found and the condition it was in. They can collect it as evidence safely and properly.
    he was in an area where there was no cell reception and it sounds like no local place to make a call.

its risky to pick the gun up and move it but in this case it worked out. the first thing i thought was getting caught with the gun on your way into town and ending up accused of a crime (long shot but possible in the sticks)...then there was the possiblity of lost evidence at the place it was found.

you have to do something and i dont know that there is a perfect scenario in this case. glad it worked out.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    At least a kid didn't find it!

Can you get the gun back, later? Finders keepers, after they check it out? I WILL NOT buy a gun from a drunk, a punk or a drug addict. Too late to whine if it has been used in a crime.

You did the right thing.

People don't throw guns from a car window unless they have a reason.
    I'd hate to keep it to find it later tied to a murder.
    You did right.
    I would not have touched it though, as I'd not want my fingerprints on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    People don't throw guns from a car window unless they have a reason.
    I'd hate to keep it to find it later tied to a murder.
    You did right.
    I would not have touched it though, as I'd not want my fingerprints on it.
    There are many way to pick up the gun without leaving your fingerprints on it. Don't you watch CSI?

If nothing else, a stick/pencil/pen inserted into the muzzle.

Seriously, I carry a small package of nitrile gloves in my vehicle for the odd occasions over the years that I have had so touch / pick up something that I would rather not do with bare hands. I've even used them for keeping grease and dirt off my hands when working on my vehicle.

Handy things to have...
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    If nothing else, a stick/pencil/pen inserted into the muzzle.
    ...or through the trigger guard!

Seriously though...kids, don't place objects in the barrel or trigger guard!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links