Found a handgun along side road today

This is a discussion on Found a handgun along side road today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope you didn't go inside the police station to turn it in. I read some where on this forum where a guy turned in ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Found a handgun along side road today

I hope you didn't go inside the police station to turn it in. I read some where on this forum where a guy turned in a found gun and was prosecuted for bringing it into the station. The guy called ahead and said he needed to discuss something with a detective but failed to mention the gun.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I hope you didn't go inside the police station to turn it in. I read some where on this forum where a guy turned in a found gun and was prosecuted for bringing it into the station. The guy called ahead and said he needed to discuss something with a detective but failed to mention the gun.
    I believe that was a shotgun in "Gun Friendly" England.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    And I repeat - good luck on that. How do you remove the magazine and remove a round from the chamber WITHOUT putting your prints on the gun and magazine? Try that at home some evening and see how it turns out. Sounds nice, but virtually impossible to do unless you are wearing gloves.

As for not disturbing prints already on the gun? Fat chance.

Lots of things sound nice, but are virtually impossible to accomplish. This is one of those cases.
    I alway have gloves. But in general, I agree with you, sounds like a good plan, but may not work as planned.

I'm only stating that given the situation as discribed (LEO not an option) I would take the firearm as I described, because I believe there may be a however unlikely safety issue.

I wondering how much trouble you might get into just leaving firearm and reporting it later, if something happens after the fact (say kids shoot themselves). Not sure, lack of good samaritan requirement might overide.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Yes, you did the right thing. Now, I wonder how many of us would do the same thing if we found a Combat Wilson on the side of the road?
    Regards,
    While I have failed in life from time to time in grey areas (I'm thinking of times I've had joint ownership of something and the fight for my fair share may have resulted in more then I deserved).

Off hand, I ate a few more fries then I should have when out with the wife tonight, maybe some other time I ate more pizza or beer then others (but we all put in the same $), maybe I took more credit then I should have at work during reviews, etc.

You could put any amount of money in front of me, or item, and if not mine to take, and I would not seek personal ownership until the proper steps were taken.

My only flaw may be a robin hood like complex. Say a drug dealer looking for his money and you have it, but if you turn it in to LE your name is mud. I imagine in such a situation I would share my deed with no one and some charity would benifit. Tough call, as you never know the risks., and who has seen you. I might be brave with my life, but you don't know how it might injure of those around you. Not saying I would not do the right thing, only that I can't honestly answer, as my family and wife is very dear to me.

But that is a very unlikely event. I think most on this forum, considering the likely back ground checks we have all received, are a little more honest then the norm. So if I were to place a wager, no matter the type of handgun (and assuming not some SHTF situation) the great majority on this forum would do the right thing.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I'd never want a gun that I suspected may have been used by a criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I alway have gloves. But in general, I agree with you, sounds like a good plan, but may not work as planned.

I'm only stating that given the situation as discribed (LEO not an option) I would take the firearm as I described, because I believe there may be a however unlikely safety issue.
    I guess it depends upon how comfortable you are with handling a loaded firearm. I have lost count of how many loaded firearms I have handled over the years (not belonging to me) and never had a single one discharge unless I pulled the trigger.

I wondering how much trouble you might get into just leaving firearm and reporting it later, if something happens after the fact (say kids shoot themselves). Not sure, lack of good samaritan requirement might overide.
    I can't foresee any action being taken, but I would NOT be leaving it by the side of the road in the scenario described.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    Don't know how things work there but arround here they don't go arround printing everyone. If you havn't been arrested they have no prints to match yours with.

BTW in MO after 30 days if noone has claimed it it's yours be it a pistol or a bag of money.
    I have never been arrested, and my prints have been in the system for 40+ years. There are lots of reason to have prints on file that do not involve criminal activity.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I guess it depends upon how comfortable you are with handling a loaded firearm. I have lost count of how many loaded firearms I have handled over the years (not belonging to me) and never had a single one discharge unless I pulled the trigger.

I can't foresee any action being taken, but I would NOT be leaving it by the side of the road in the scenario described.
    Actually, in Wisconsin, you would likely be guilty of a crime. We have a law that basically says that if you leave a loaded weapon where a kid can get at it, it's against the law. It doesn't say the weapon has to be yours.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    No I didnt take it in with me, I went in and got a trooper first, then we got the gun out of my truck.

My 82 year old grandfater walks 1/8 a mile to the local post office everyday when its warm out. there are several fourwheeler trails that tie into the county road he walks the side of.

He came across a stainless S&W model 66 .357 lying in the ditch one day last summer. Finsh was a bit rough and it was unloaded. It was a nice find.

County Sheriff kept it for 90 days and no one claimed it.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links