Found a handgun along side road today

This is a discussion on Found a handgun along side road today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While working, in rural WV, i found a .40 pistol laying along side the road today. The gun was laying 1 foot off the pavement. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Found a handgun along side road today

Found a handgun along side road today

While working, in rural WV, i found a .40 pistol laying along side the road today. The gun was laying 1 foot off the pavement. Pulled over and checked to see if it was loaded. It had a full magazine, empty chamber, and the safety was on. I was in an area with ZERO cell phone coverage, and wouldnt have any for the next several hours. I removed the magazine and put the gun in my truck's lockbox. When I got back to town I stopped at the State Police barracks, and handed it over to them.

2. Remove Ads

WOW! I could just about feel the temptation. You did the right thing and maybe down the road it might be yours.
    Way to go!!

Wow! That's nuts!

Good job turning it in. That was definately the right thing to do.

I wonder if it was tossed from a car or dropped accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceful View Post
    WOW! I could just about feel the temptation. You did the right thing and maybe down the road it might be yours.
    Way to go!!
    I dont know if that would be something to brag about it was a cheap looking, beat up gun.

possibly stolen/ditched after being used in a crime as well - hard time explaining that if the issue over came up. You did the right thing, in AK those guns get auctioned off once a year for cheap - do they do the same in your neck of the woods?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Good job. I don't think it is a good idea to keep a found gun. First, because it could've been used in a crime. Second, because if it's rightful/legal owner lost it, I would feel better if it is returned to him/her.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I'm curious, if after 30 days no ones claimed it, can you claim it as found property? Barring they discover it was used in a crime of course.

I've never dealt with a found handgun, so I'm curious.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I would bet five bucks that the gun was ditched out the window when a criminal saw a cop tailing him, or after he had flashed it at someone. Cheap gun; empty chamber; on the side of the road...

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    Wow! That's nuts!

Good job turning it in. That was definately the right thing to do.

I wonder if it was tossed from a car or dropped accidentally.

+1 I can only wonder why it was tossed myself
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

I would turn it in because it might have been used in a crime or might help solve a crime. I would not be concerned with the owner getting it back. I know people who have lost guns due to not having the right holster for the activity. My thought was they were being cheap. What happens when you are being cheap?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Gee - I like all the guys who imply they would turn it in, but only because it might have been used in a crime.

How about simply turning it in because you don't want someone else to get hurt and IT ISN'T YOURS?

Say you found along the road a brand spanking new Wilson Combat CQB and knew for a fact it hadn't been used in a crime. Would you keep it then? Remember, IT'S SIMPLY NOT YOURS.

This reminds me of the old saw about the guy asking the woman to join him on his yacht for the weekend and ends with the punch line: we already determined that, we're just haggling over the price.

VIP Member
    Your original post didn't say what brand it was. Please satisfy my curiosity.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I am a WV resident and in a quasi LEO job...what county did you find it in?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    good thing you weren't in the UK... (or NYC, Chicago, Wash D.C...)

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d-shotgun.html
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member
    I have also found a gun in the past, however, I did not turn it over the the sheriff, I simply called them and told them I had found a gun, I gave them the Brand and said it was a rifle, if they had a report of any one missing a gun, to call and give me a description of it, if the description match, I would help them get it back to the rightful owner.

They wanted to come and get it, I said not happening, they called 3 times that day with 3 different descriptions, none even close. They gave up. I could very well see if I turned it over to them, some deputy would own it by now.

Most jurisdictions around here destroy any guns used in crimes and unclaimed guns. They destroy some very nice equipment. It should be auctioned off to help with their operation cost, but no, they destroy them.

If the posters that said it should be turned over, if you find a $100.00 bill on the ground do you take it to the SO or bank and turn it in, I bet not. The money could have been used to buy drugs or some other crime you know.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links