Concealed Carry Options

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Options within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stay with the Kimber... It's not like this is the last gun you're gonna buy... I have a Tactical Ultra II and at times, I've ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Options

VIP Member
    Stay with the Kimber... It's not like this is the last gun you're gonna buy... I have a Tactical Ultra II and at times, I've thought the same thing you're thinking now... I could get rid of the Kimber and get two guns... Then I pick up the Kimber and all those thoughts disappear...

If you don't get what you really want, you'll be sorry in the long run...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I think it needs to be asked..."Are you proficient with the firearms that you already own?" "Do you know the basics of shooting and shooting properly?" (And just because you have been shooting for years and your uncle who was in the army taught you how...this does NOT mean you are shooting properly).

I ask these questions due to the obvious fact that cost is a factor here and that becoming proficient with a handgun (the most difficult weapon to master) is expensive. At $20-30+ for a box of target .45, it adds up quickly. In my opinion you need to shoot 200-500 rounds through every weapon before you should trust it as a carry tool...that means $100-250+ just to trust the weapon...in that time you should have become fairly comfortable and proficient but don't plan on it unless you are an experianced shooter with proper techniques.

I would ask if you should not maybe out some or all off the $900(Kimber)+$75(holster)+$250(breakin ammo)= $1,225 toward ammo, lessons, range time...

Just my thoughts
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I'm not all that familiar with Taurus handguns, but any reason you can't just carry the 24/7 you already have?

As far as Kimber vs Glock...that's a big ol' can o'worms. The Glock will run right, straight out of the box. The Kimber...not so much. As I understand it, they have a considerable manufacturer recommended break-in period.

After horrible experiences with several Kahr pistols, I've decided I will NOT buy ANY handgun that needs a break-in, period.

Do a search for "Handgun reliability poll" and you will also see that you have a higher probability of having issues with a Kimber than with a Glock (or XD, or Ruger, etc). Remember, "tight" is not a good thing is a defensive gun - you want a certain degree of "slop" so the gun functions well with a broad array of ammo, while dirty, etc.

I'll put my fire retardant underwear on now...flame on...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I learned a long time ago that going with less than what I wanted was never satisfying and eventually a waste of money.

If the Kimber is what you want then it is what you should get.
    I fully agree with the above. Get what you want and don't overthink it. I have been going through nearly the same decision process. I really want a Kimber (Ultra Covert II or Ultra Raptor II) as my EDC. Been bouncing back and forth between 2 cheap or 1 expensive. No doubt that I'm going with the Kimber.

Only you can make a decision like this all we can do is list different combinations of guns you could get for the same $$, or what we would do. That doesn't mean it is right for you though, only you can decide what is right for you. If it turns out not to be right, that is what Gunbroker is for!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I learned a long time ago that going with less than what I wanted was never satisfying and eventually a waste of money.

If the Kimber is what you want then it is what you should get.
    +1 I second that. Hold out for the gun you really want. Now if the Kimber is not what you really want, then change tack.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Kimber?

I have that Kimber and several other guns.. I had 3 FTE during break-in and no problems after. Initially I carried a S&W 442, and later Baby Eagle. Now the Kimber goes where I go. I have time with SIG, XD's, Taurus, Glock, Colt and Magnum Research. Personally I prefer the heavier 1911's. Buy good leather! And practice shooting alot. Be safe.

Ultimately this is YOUR decision
    but i will say this i have carried quite a few different pistols for concealed carry & for the sole purpose of concealed carry i liked my Kahr PM45 best (very small size & a big bore) but i have been carrying a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 w/night sights & CTC grips now for maybe 6 months & i must say i have never shot a smaller sized pistol that felt so good or made such small groups, i must say you'd be hard pressed to take my Kimber away from me now
    Good luck with your choice whether its a Kimber or a Glock either are fine pistols
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Wow! Thanks for all the responses everyone. I really do want the kimber, I was just torn between having more options or a holy grail gun. I think I'll save up all the money to get the kimber, then go to the store between now and then and handle some others.

I like my Taurus, and I shoot quite well with it, but I want something a bit better quality than it, though it does the job.

I really appreciate all your responses, it gives me some perspective. In all reality, if I decide to get two guns for the price of the Kimber, I'll end up with a Kimber in the future anyway, so we'll see where this goes :).

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I'm not all that familiar with Taurus handguns, but any reason you can't just carry the 24/7 you already have?

As far as Kimber vs Glock...that's a big ol' can o'worms. The Glock will run right, straight out of the box. The Kimber...not so much. As I understand it, they have a considerable manufacturer recommended break-in period.

After horrible experiences with several Kahr pistols, I've decided I will NOT buy ANY handgun that needs a break-in, period.

Do a search for "Handgun reliability poll" and you will also see that you have a higher probability of having issues with a Kimber than with a Glock (or XD, or Ruger, etc). Remember, "tight" is not a good thing is a defensive gun - you want a certain degree of "slop" so the gun functions well with a broad array of ammo, while dirty, etc.

I'll put my fire retardant underwear on now...flame on...

Yep, well said. My favorite gun to shoot, hold and carry can not be trusted. It is a gun safe queen and probably always will be. Glock, Ruger, XD and even S&W that is not likely. 99 of 100 are pretty solid out of the box.

Keep it simple and go with what you want. I love my Kimber!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

I had a Kimber Pro CDP II that had all sorts of feed problems. I experienced stovepipes and rounds reversed 180 degrees (primer facing down the barrel). I tried Wilson Combat mags and even replaced all the springs with Wolff springs. In the end, the gun was mostly reliable with ball ammo, but I never trusted it with JHP. After about 1,500 rounds of trying to like the gun, I traded it in and got a Glock 26.

I'm one of the few with a bad Kimber experience, so your mileage may vary. There are three guns I've owned that go bang every single time I pull the trigger, regardless of ammo or gunsprings. These are:

- Ruger P85 (too big and heavy for concealed carry)
    - Glock 36 (my EDC)
    - Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    ive heard many stories about the kimbers with hollow point feed problems. not desireable but from what i understand very fixable. i would have a bit of a problem with that in a defensive handgun. but what a beautiful piece they make. i might not take a kimber out of the box if i owned one. its more like art to me. i am not a gentle handler of firearms and i just couldnt trust myself with something that looks that good.

as far as quality goes as much as i love my glock 19 and my 1911...my taurus pt111 is still my favorite carry and i have yet to experience anything even remotely close to a failure except for some crap wolf classic ammo i tried once with a 10% failure rate with deep multiple primer strikes...that gun feeds whatever ***** you pack in the mag and does it with a fair amount of accuracy considering my dislike for short sight radius guns...it shoots better than i do.

Go for the Kimber. My EDC is a Pro Carry II, and I have been very happy with it.
    Carrying a gun means I am prepared for one more eventuality than those who do not.

For carry, I prefer small. I have a Springfield Micro 1911 which I like, but to me it's too heavy. I have a Kahr PM-9 which is ideal, but now I've gone to the Sig 238.
    Decide if this is going to be your carry gun or a range gun.
    A nice 1911 at home because it's too heavy doesn't do any good.
    A Ruger LCP in your pocket and a reliable Glock for the range would have you covered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links