How much to you budget for items other than the gun (for carry duty)?

This is a discussion on How much to you budget for items other than the gun (for carry duty)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious to know how much others budget/figure into the purchase of a gun for the items like... -Break in ammo -Cleaning supplies (add'l ...

View Poll Results: How much to you budget items in ADDITION to the gun itself (assuming carry weapon)

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never thought of this before...hmmm...

29 31.52%
  • $1-100

3 3.26%
  • $101-200

17 18.48%
  • $201-300

27 29.35%
  • $300+

12 13.04%
  • Budget? My rich uncle C.C. buys everything...aka, my credit card

4 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to you budget for items other than the gun (for carry duty)?

I am curious to know how much others budget/figure into the purchase of a gun for the items like...

-Break in ammo
    -Cleaning supplies (add'l brushes for new cal...)
    -Holster(s)
    -Additional mags/speed clips
    -Carry ammo...

Please enter your amount on the poll. If you have never thought about this...say so.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Between $100 and $200 for a holster and carry ammo, break in ammo is always my reloads that I don't figure in.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Whatever it takes, never made any kind of budget. It would be a good idea though.

usually $200,MAYBE $250. I like to buy about 100 or so rounds of target ammo for break-in and then my carry ammo to run a box through the gun and then to actually CARRY as well as a holster, extra mag or two usually comes with the gun, but if not I have enough left over to buy one or 2. cleaning supplies are only patches, bore cleaner and gun oil (Rem-oil) (Figure less than 15 bucks for that) my kit has brushes and such for .17 - .50BMG so thats not included.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    I am curious to know how much others budget/figure into the purchase of a gun for the items like...

-Break in ammo
    -Holster(s)
    -Carry ammo...

Please enter your amount on the poll. If you have never thought about this...say so.

Hey!!! Don't forget to add in a very, very good gun belt(s)!!
    Often forgotten but oh soooooo important!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

sgb
    I already have

ammo
    cleaning supplies
    gun belt

Only thing I'd need is a holster and magazines if it's other than a 1911. So $200ish should do it.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    This is a pretty good question as I have lost my tail more than once on outfitting a revolver or pistol. Typically, I end up with two style holsters, ammo carrier, after-market grips and so on.
    Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Never really think about it anymore. I have everything but holsters, so there isn't really to much to be concerned about...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    Hey!!! Don't forget to add in a very, very good gun belt(s)!!
    Often forgotten but oh soooooo important!
    That was in the "..."
    Pray for our nations leaders!

No budget. Me economically as possible.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I figure about $150 gets me into a decent holster, and a starting supply of ammo (assuming it's a caliber that I don't already have) and some misc. accessories.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Administrator
    I'll budget at least a hundred, closer to two for a holster and spare magazines. I tend to buy calibers I already shoot, so no need for an extra ammo budget.
    However, when I bought my 442, I never really trained witha revolver. So, I had to factor in a lot more ammo and range time. I probably spent around 300 or so in ammo before I put it in my rotation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Couple of hundred for a Holster and extra mags.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The ammo kills me. I am a poor shot and need practice. It costs. I make my own holsters and have the belts, and cleaning kits on hand. I use snap caps to try to correct poor trigger squeeze and flinch. Kids old tee shirts, automotive grease and CLP are the main cleaning consumables. All in all, for me, it is the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post

-Break in ammo
    -Holster(s)
    -Carry ammo...

I had to quote you on this because it's easier for me to see what you've asked in the O.P.
    I didn't do the poll yet because I have to think so far back. It aint what it used to be when I got my first gun, so you've elicited some new thoughts for me and how it would be today. I'll break it down into what I see for need, and the common market today.
    A. Break-in ammo......this amount may depend on you...your particular firearm, and who you listen to as far as "break in" is concerned. I've given this a value of $200. Considering range ammo and PD ammo, with no allowance for caliber. It's just my average thinking for most.
    B. Cleaning supplies.........if you don't already have some cleaning supplies for any firearms, allow $50 initially. Some firearms come with a bore cleaning tool. But patches, jags, brushes, your choice of rod or bore punch, etc.........and some Gunzilla! You're there.
    C. Holsters are going to be specific to your carry methods. If you're serious, add another $200 for two holsters, and another possible $50 for a good belt to go along with.
    D. Additional mags/speed loaders? This again depends on your preferred choice for carry. Some magazines are in shorter supply, and made from different materials, etc........... Personally, I think 3-4 magazines would be a basic start, and those should require optimal care and maintenance from you. Average $30 per magazine......$120. Most pistols come with two magazines from the factory, so deduct that if you want at the $30 average.
    E. Carry ammo. Well, another average disregarding caliber choice and...magazine capacity! Broader spectrum here....but I'll venture a good guess at a price factor of $30 per 25 rounds on average. $60 to get you on the street and good for the next year if you don't have to use them.
    Now...let's go back and take a look at the poll.

Well, quite simply put.......if you have a rich uncle that will foot the bill, I'd go with it. We're well over $300 here and I've been conservative to my thinking. I still can't vote in the poll because I don't have any rich relatives that would foot my bill. But...I'm already set on break-ins, cleaning supplies, holsters, magazines, and PD ammo. I guess it's rather subjective then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links