*** Things every prospective or new CCL holder should read

This is a discussion on *** Things every prospective or new CCL holder should read within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope that the moderator will read these and make them a 'sticky'. I myself am a new CCL holder and have been reading and ...

Thread: *** Things every prospective or new CCL holder should read

Exclamation *** Things every prospective or new CCL holder should read

I hope that the moderator will read these and make them a 'sticky'. I myself am a new CCL holder and have been reading and researching the subject for months, but I ran across some stuff lately that seems to go below the surface of the standard boiler-plate items you read in the gun magazines and on many websites about the realities of Self Defense and its consequences.

I just think the first two vary from the norm with less candy-coating and more reality. It will give you plenty to think about.

Make sure you at least read the first one and hopefully the second, but they are all very informative. Some summing up information that I searched 6 months to accumulate and they did it in 1 or 2 pages, things people new to CCL need to know at the beginning. Others are more advanced (mentally/morally). Anyway, I thought it was very valuable information and wanted to share it.

Great Article by Tom Holzel - The Threatened Citizen: The Pros & Cons of Carrying a Concealed Weapon:
    http://www.velocitypress.com/threatened_citizen.php

This is just one lesson on the subject, from Plus P Technology, they have many, many more free, no registration required:
    http://www.plusp.com/classroom/lesson1.php

Concealed Knives - something most CCL holders also carry:
    http://thearmedcitizen.com/knife.htm

Lots of info on almost every subject for a new or prospective CCL holder. Not a fancy site, but good info.
    http://thearmedcitizen.com/

Book info - The Law of Self-Defense:
    http://thearmedcitizen.com/tlosd.htm
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good reads....thanks for sharing.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    Well, I think this is kinda typical,

"Here are two real-life examples: In a contest between you holding at gunpoint a quick-draw artist with a holstered pistol, who would win? The answer--the quick-draw artist, of course. Because in the case of any pointed gun, the winner is the person who moves first."

This is not real-life. First, we're holding a quick-draw artist at gunpoint???? Even downgrading this to a very fast BG, the first to shoot is not necessarily the winner. The first may very well be the co-loser. Would it make a lot of difference if my bullet(s) gets to him a quarter to a half second later?

I wonder too, if he took into account that it is estimated that guns are used in self-defense as many as 2 million times a year?

But, the point is well made that as the old saying goes, carrying a gun does not make you any more able to defend yourself than carrying a violin makes you a violinst.

Got training?

Thumbs up

At this point I've read just the first two links (which was a good deal of reading, but worthwhile). Personally, I find it instructive to read self defense lessons such as the ones presented by Plus P. All the lessons took a while to read but was well worth it.

Glad I did so as there is a great deal of useful and necessary information presented.

Thanks for posting the links. I'll read the remaining ones soon.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

The first two are the best, thearmedcitizen.com links have a lot of information for someone who is just starting this process, but still informative. The self defense law book is no longer in print unfortunately, but the authors contact info is provided, maybe someone will reprint it.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

The first guy is on the fence to me. Second, anybody will tell you that a snub nose is definitely not a good choice for first time shooters. Thirdly, any round could knock a BG off his feet. Fourthly, if you attend a quality CCW course you don't have to be a former Ranger, SWAT or Military Veteran to be effective. Just my 2cents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Links