Requirement to Notify in Utah???

This is a discussion on Requirement to Notify in Utah??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I finally got the money together to take the Utah CC class, and came across something interesting. In the class we were told that ...

Thread: Requirement to Notify in Utah???

Requirement to Notify in Utah???

Well I finally got the money together to take the Utah CC class, and came across something interesting.

In the class we were told that Utah had changed the Notify laws, so that it was not required, but highly recommended. They couldn't tell me why or when...Anyone with more info?
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    See this link of FAQ from Utah:
    Utah Department of Public Safety

You do not have to declare, but it is recommended.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

DISCLAIMER THE FOLLOWING DOES NOT APPLY IF YOU HAVE A LEGAL DUTY TO INFORM
    Unless the officer is going to pat you down or specifically asks you if you are armed there is no good reason to volunteer the information.

All it does is open you up to harassment from an anti cop. As a general rule the less information you give a cop during an official encounter the better off you are

Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    Well I finally got the money together to take the Utah CC class, and came across something interesting.

In the class we were told that Utah had changed the Notify laws, so that it was not required, but highly recommended. They couldn't tell me why or when...Anyone with more info?
    I also took the Utah CC class last year and was given a handout of Utah Pistol Law. Did you get this? The answer to your question is on Page 2:

Permit holders should know what to do if confronted by the police.
    Note: Utah law does not require you to inform a police officer, but it is highly recommended!

Permit holders should know what to do during a police encounter:
    1. Keep your hands visible at all times.
    2. Comply fully with all instructions given by the officer.
    3. If you are asked if you have a firearm in your presence, it is recommended
    that you be completely truthful and cooperative.
    4. If asked, please advise the officer of the location of the firearm.
    5. Do not reach for your firearm or other weapons unless instructed to do so.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    It's not required in Utah to notify anymore but highly recommended.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I understand the law and the routine if you have an encounter with LEO where it would be a good idea to Notify.

Every other state I have been in it has been required to notify or a mute point cause CC was illegal. I was under the impression that Utah was a must notify state in the past.

What I'm asking is was this a recent change? And if so why?
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    What I'm asking is was this a recent change? And if so why?
    Yes this was changed recently. I think that the basis for this change was when Utah passed a law that allowed a person to carry a loaded handgun in their vehicle without a permit. I believe this was an extension of the Castle Doctrine in Utah. Your vehicle is now considered to be similar to your home. The change was about a year ago.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

No you don't have to notify. As for why who cares, Utah gun laws are the best in the nation except maybe Alaska but I have not researched all of Alaska's laws. This law was changed in the last year or two before the loaded weapon in the car change so it has nothing to do with it.

that makes sense, thanks guys

Links