is it legal to carry......

This is a discussion on is it legal to carry...... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No registration needed here in Minnesota .With your permit your good to go!!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is it legal to carry......

No registration needed here in Minnesota .With your permit your good to go!!
    Better to have and not need then to need and not have!!!!
    EDC G22+Clips=SECURITY

2. Remove Ads

I used to work at a gun shop and sell these weapons. Its called a straw sale, purchasing a handgun for another to use. Its a fedaral crime. ATF forbids it. But any gun that has serial number or somthing that used to resemble can be traced, so I think you trust dad to not buy a gun w/a body on it, so no worries!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonedemon View Post
    I used to work at a gun shop and sell these weapons. Its called a straw sale, purchasing a handgun for another to use. Its a fedaral crime. ATF forbids it. But any gun that has serial number or somthing that used to resemble can be traced, so I think you trust dad to not buy a gun w/a body on it, so no worries!
    See post by cvhoss above.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Really with straw purchases, I think the issue is where the money for the gun came from, if it was a gift from the parent (the parent supplied the cash and gave the gun), it is different than if the child gives the parent money for the parent to willingly buy a firearm for someone under 21.

However, as a gift, it is ok.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

well if problems arise. my dad gave it to me as a gift. thank you!!

I would highly recommend that you search for and understand Minnesota gun law before you carry. (I am assuming your location tag is where you primarily carry) Knowing your state and local ordinances is the only way to stay out of trouble, and when it involves firearms there seems to be no way to get into "a little bit" of trouble!
    I completely agree with this; if you break the law they won't care if someone inadvertently gave you the wrong advice - ignorance of the law etc.

Get it from the horse's mouth: the relevant authorities, and perhaps a lawyer expert in this area of law. But start with the first. My advice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazeman2 View Post
    With a permit to carry is it legal to carry a gun that is not registered in your name? the real questions is can i carry a handgun that my dad bought for me when i was 18?

You answered your own question. He bought it "for you". It's your gun. Period. There is no registration , only a possible 4473 that he passed the background check. He is free to give it to someone or sale it, if they are of legal age and he knows they can legally own the gun.

Check your laws from someone that knows them, but here... if it's your gun and you can legally carry, then you can carry it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links