is it legal to carry......

This is a discussion on is it legal to carry...... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With a permit to carry is it legal to carry a gun that is not registered in your name? the real questions is can i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it legal to carry......

is it legal to carry......

With a permit to carry is it legal to carry a gun that is not registered in your name? the real questions is can i carry a handgun that my dad bought for me when i was 18?

2. Remove Ads

You will have to check your states laws. I'd recommend starting at Handgunlaw.us, and or contacting your state's Attorney General's office, or a lawyer who handles a lot of firearms stuff in you area.

I'd also review the ATF's standards for what a straw purchase is, as what you described above classifies as one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    It will depend on your states laws. Most states do not require gun registration. Don't confuse the ATF form 4473 with state registration.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I would highly recommend that you search for and understand Minnesota gun law before you carry. (I am assuming your location tag is where you primarily carry) Knowing your state and local ordinances is the only way to stay out of trouble, and when it involves firearms there seems to be no way to get into "a little bit" of trouble!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Chazeman2 View Post
    With a permit to carry is it legal to carry a gun that is not registered in your name? the real questions is can i carry a handgun that my dad bought for me when i was 18?
    I see you are in MN - there is no registration in MN, so the question does not apply, assuming you are asking about carrying in MN... So the answer to your 'real question' is an unequivocal YES.

I'm in one of the many 'burbs of the Twin Cities, if that helps give any credibility to my answer...

ETA: I'd look for and pick up a book titled, "Minnesota Permit to Carry a Firearm Fundamentals". It is an excellent and very easy to read reference for the laws regarding carry in MN. There are also two local (to the Twin Cities) 'carry' forums:

http://www.mnguntalk.com
    http://www.carryforum.com/forum

I'm partial to the first one, but both are excellent resources for all things MN carry related - and for plenty of other things as well. Enjoy!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

In alot of states, You can own & carry one(WHILE HUNTING) or in veical-check your local laws I don't think you can CC till 21,again check laws. JMO

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Yes if you are 21 or older and have your CCL. Your gun was a gift, it's yours.
    Randy
    Law Enforcement Armorer
    NRA
    GOA
    Range Officer
    Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.

The gun is yours. It is in nobody's "name" A lot of people think there is a "master list" with every gun you own or have bought. If it is yours you can carry it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post

I'd also review the ATF's standards for what a straw purchase is, as what you described above classifies as one.
    INAL -- However, as I understand it, a gun bought as a gift to someone who can legally possess it is not the same as a proxy purchase under Federal or Virginia Law.

Here in Virginia, buying a gun with the express intention of giving it as a gift is is a common practice. OTOH, taking cash from someone so you can buy them a gun is a violation.

I seem to remember that gift giving was explained on the back of the 4493 form that you fill out when you buy from a licensed dealer -- something along the lines of it being a legitimate gift if you use your own money. Anyone have one handy? Is that still there?

I don't see where any other laws come into play, here in Virginia, as we have neither a State registration requirement, nor State licensees to "own/possess a gun" requirement, and our CHP is not limited to type or a particular handgun, and as private transfers between individuals are legal, here.

This issue has come up recently in another thread.

Any FFL or attorneys here who can weigh in on this question?

BTW -- I am talking intra-State not inter-State gifts, here.
    Last edited by DaveH; November 16th, 2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added BTW
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Minnesota does not require gun registration of any kind, so the odds of your gun being registered to anyone are rather slim.

Mississippi does not require registration. Nor does Mississippi have a means to register firearms.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

wow i feel ignorant. I also e-mailed my sheriffs office and they told me the same thing that minnesota does not register guns. I just turned 21 and do not have my permit to carry yet and am on day 12 of 30 waiting for my permit in the mail. thanks for all the good info peeps.

I agree with most of the posts. Check local laws, and possibly with an attorney familiar with gun rights.

Just for informational purposes for the group, it is illegal in New York State to carry someone else's firearm. Each NY State permit is in two parts. The first is the permit/license itself, and the second parts is all handguns licensed to that person.

Legally (in NY), your are not even allowed to shoot a firearm not regisitered on your permit. For example, if I were at the range, and wanted to try out someone else's gun, that's forbidden! Stupid law.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

wow i feel ignorant. I also e-mailed my sheriffs office and they told me the same thing that minnesota does not register guns. I just turned 21 and do not have my permit to carry yet and am on day 12 of 30 waiting for my permit in the mail. thanks for all the good info peeps.
    Don't feel Ignorant

You had a question and you asked the right people

Now you have an answer

Its much better than assuming something and not asking

The Saying is most often true

"there is no such thing as a stupid question"

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    ..........I'd also review the ATF's standards for what a straw purchase is, as what you described above classifies as one.
    Sorry, but wrong. From the ATF FAQ page:
    (B14) May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)? [Back]

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.

[18 U.S.C. 922(x)]
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links