CCW permit will be useless now? - Page 2

CCW permit will be useless now?

This is a discussion on CCW permit will be useless now? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with ' MitchellCT '. LEO’s are generally skilled in vehicle codes; some penal codes; some health & safety codes and a few local ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW permit will be useless now?

VIP Member
    I agree with 'MitchellCT'. LEO’s are generally skilled in vehicle codes; some penal codes; some health & safety codes and a few local ordinances. Other than that, they have to look it up or call their supervisor. As a former LEO, I never professed to know all those damn abstract questions I would get in the field. The public at large thinks that LEO’s are Rhodes Scholars. If they only knew...
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Getting to this a bit late, but how did the sheriff come to know about this guy and gal? were they in fact down at his office and asking questions as to whether they could get a KY permit or if their TN permit would still be good? If so, they should have just gone about their merry way and stayed out of the sheriff's office.

If they were in fact stopped by the sheriff for something while in their vehicle, then handed over their permit for notification, then I can see how he became aware. However, I don't know how the sheriff can compell someone to change their residency while a student. If they no longer have any ties to the state of TN, ie, no home or other reason to use their old TN address, or parents address ect. then they may in fact be KY residents. If this is the case, then a FL non resident permit might be in order.

As others have stated when attending college out of state, or when folks go into the military, most times they don't change their states of residency.

Somewhere in the DC archives are a couple of threads about what makes one a resident of a particular state.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    "As others have stated when attending college out of state, or when folks go into the military, most times they don't change their states of residency."

Unless of course you are military with California plates and get transferred to Louisiana.
    Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I am sure that if the OP states to the LEo's that he goes back home for 1 week before his 30,60,90 days are up in the new state,they will still be TN residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Northface View Post
    I am not a lawyer and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. If you are, or did, maybe you can help me understand this.

A young man I know from church has a CCW permit for TN. He and his wife have moved into an apartment in an adjoining state while he is attending graduate school. They both have part-time jobs there. The state recognizes a TN CCW.

The local sheriff has been told them they will need to get Drivers Licenses for the new state and register their car there. Not a problem.

He also told them that his TN permit is no longer valid with the new DL and that he cannot apply for a CCW in that state for 6 months.

Can someone explain this to me? During this lapse, would his permit still be valid in TN and other states that recognize TN CCW?

Thanks for listening.

Been there done that when I'd planned on moving to TN. I talked to the state firearm department, forget now what they're called. In TN it's 90 days, or was at that point to apply. I was told that I'd lapse for 2 months in TN and not be able to carry unless I could "prove" it was necessary to have one right now. (I'm a us citizen, it in fact IS!) but whatver. That's the only way TN will go around the law like that, unless it's changed in the last 2 years.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    I am sure that if the OP states to the LEo's that he goes back home for 1 week before his 30,60,90 days are up in the new state,they will still be TN residents.
    What part of don't talk to the police is to terribly complex...

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    What state did he move to? Some states don't have a time requirement for residency. Virginia to the best of my knowledge does not require you to be a resident for any time frame, just that you are a resident. He could try to get a VA non-resident permit if it is valid in his current state and TN. The VA non-resident permit usually takes only a few weeks.

A good lesson to be learned here.
    If you are about to move, could you not get an out of state CCW such as Penn. and be good to go before you moved?
    As I recall the Penn. CCW is about $25, little hassle and you get it in a few days.

Your state of residence is a malleable concept. I have been working in another state for nearly 8 years and still maintain my "residence" in my previous state for favorable tax treatment and my CHP as well.

LEOs aren't lawyers. In fact, neither am I. Don't ask questions if you won't like the answers.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    A good lesson to be learned here.
    If you are about to move, could you not get an out of state CCW such as Penn. and be good to go before you moved?
    As I recall the Penn. CCW is about $25, little hassle and you get it in a few days.
    That would not work in some states. Kansas does not recognize Non-resident permits for example (unless AG has changed his position since there is a NEW AG in the last year.).

I had an apartment in Atlanta for three years while I worked there. My family stayed in TN the entire time and I was able to keep my TN permit and DL.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

IF he gets a new DL , he is now a resident and his CCW is no good any longer from Tn. However, in almost all states.... a "student" , can live there and are not required to get a new DL nor give up their residency status of their original state. Thus, his CCW would still also be good... since he is on a student status only. However, if he's paying "resident" tuition, ..... then he's declared himself a resident of the new state.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Let me see if I understand the words that you were typing......................

Yea, I understand them. My post meant on a traffic stop.

I did not think that I had to explain this. But I will be happy to clear it up for you.

OP DO NOT sit down and have coffee and donuts with LEO's!!!!

VIP Member

re: MitchellCT

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    While basically your posts on this topic are rather spot on, there is an angle I think you are missing.

It is not uncommon for folks who drive around in a community for awhile with out- of- state plates and out- of- state DL to be --at some point as perhaps a matter of coincidence-- stopped for a traffic infraction. At that point the local constabulary may offer up the rather sound advice that you really are supposed to be registered in the new state, and have a DL in the new state, but hey, since your'e a student the LE offers to overlook what you have overlooked, having of course given you the requisite information needed to get legal.

I think this is a very common manner in which new residents find out that they really need to get a new DL and re-register their vehicle.

Hitch of course correctly pointed out that leaving the state--especially if you can document that you have done so-- within the time frame is necessary to defend against an accusation (ticket) that your vehicle is not properly registered and you are not properly licensed in the new state.

So, I'll repeat a story which I know I have posted here before, and it happened with my Grandmother circa 1950. She would move to CT from NYC for the summer. For whatever reason, likely friendship, the Sheriff in the rural area of CT advised her that if she didn't want to re-register her car and get a CT DL, she would need to go back to NY before the 30 day period expired, spend a night, and return to CT. She operated that way for about 3 decades till she was too old to drive.

Now, he wasn't giving her a hard time. It was a small community and people knew everyone and their comings and goings. He was informing her of the CT requirement and how she could get around it.
    The conversation probably took place at a grocery store or a hardware store, possibly in our front yard--maybe on my Grand Uncle's porch. I certainly don't recall the specifics.

FWIW, his (the sheriff's) dad was the judge. Both were not unfamiliar people to our family; especially as the sheriff was my uncle's friend for many years. The judge was my Grand Uncle's friend--well acquaintance anyway, else my Grand Uncle might have been in considerable trouble for his "human slavery" --which the locals viewed as giving the drunk bums he took off the street in the big city real work to do. Now, that's how you make a profit down on the farm.

Easy solution to this problem: Get a non-resident license from a state with reciprocity with both Tennessee and Kentucky.

And like MitchellCT and Saber said... dont get legal advice from cops. While they're generally pretty sharp on reciting penal and transportation codes, they're often totally clueless about regulatory and civil matters, or anything involving case law and judicial opinions. That's what attorneys are for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links