CCW permit will be useless now?

This is a discussion on CCW permit will be useless now? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PM That would not work in some states. Kansas does not recognize Non-resident permits for example (unless AG has changed his position ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CCW permit will be useless now?

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    That would not work in some states. Kansas does not recognize Non-resident permits for example (unless AG has changed his position since there is a NEW AG in the last year.).
    Changed a few months ago, KS recognizes non-res permits now.

+1 for a non-res CCW, depending on new state reciprocity. Shoulda done it before moving, but hindsight is 20/20.

2. Remove Ads

How would they know if you were a resident or not, if his ccw is important enough, continue to pay vehicle taxes in that county, make sure DL is valid and wala. He dosn't have to change his vehicle tags unless he dosn't want to pay vehicle taxes from the original countly, long as the vehicle owner has no warrants, leans, and or insurance problems , anything of that nature. They can't really prove otherwise, like someone posted if he is paying out of state tution, which you must be my state at least a year to be considered for instate tution. Then you would be a resident. Theres no need! Cover your arse!

Quote Originally Posted by Northface View Post
    I am not a lawyer and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. If you are, or did, maybe you can help me understand this.

A young man I know from church has a CCW permit for TN. He and his wife have moved into an apartment in an adjoining state while he is attending graduate school. They both have part-time jobs there. The state recognizes a TN CCW.

The local sheriff has been told them they will need to get Drivers Licenses for the new state and register their car there. Not a problem.

He also told them that his TN permit is no longer valid with the new DL and that he cannot apply for a CCW in that state for 6 months.

Can someone explain this to me? During this lapse, would his permit still be valid in TN and other states that recognize TN CCW?

Thanks for listening.
    I know this is a little nit-picky but, as the original poster lives in Tennessee, he needs to know this and he obviously does not know it. Tennessee does NOT issue CCW permits. It is NOT a Concealed Carry Permit. It is a Handgun Carry Permit. There is NO legal requirement to conceal the handgun in Tennessee. Open carry is legal.

To answer his question, his Tennessee HCP will be invalid as soon as he establishes residency in Mississippi (I know it is Mississippi because of the 6 month residency requirement before he can apply for the Mississippi CCW and it IS a CCW permit in MS).
    He ceases to be a resident of Tennessee when he gets a Mississippi Drivers License. His TN HCP will not be valid in TN or MS as the HCP is a resident permit only.

This is one of the reasons I am unwilling to move to Mississippi from Tennessee even though the cost of living there in a bit lower.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northface View Post
    I am not a lawyer and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. If you are, or did, maybe you can help me understand this.

A young man I know from church has a CCW permit for TN. He and his wife have moved into an apartment in an adjoining state while he is attending graduate school. They both have part-time jobs there. The state recognizes a TN CCW.

The local sheriff has been told them they will need to get Drivers Licenses for the new state and register their car there. Not a problem.

He also told them that his TN permit is no longer valid with the new DL and that he cannot apply for a CCW in that state for 6 months.

Can someone explain this to me? During this lapse, would his permit still be valid in TN and other states that recognize TN CCW?

Thanks for listening.
    If it's anything like Colorado's law, they don't recognize the permit if they are no longer residents of the issuing state. I have an Arizona permit, but CO won't recognize it because I'm not a AZ resident. When I move to Texas, they don't care either way.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    "As others have stated when attending college out of state, or when folks go into the military, most times they don't change their states of residency."

Unless of course you are military with California plates and get transferred to Louisiana.
    Regards,
    Dan
    I came into USMC from Ohio, with Ohio DL. When I was stationed in California I had to get California plates and DL within 30 days. I came back from RVN and got my Ohio DL back. Transferred to NC and had to get NC DL and Plates! Illinois (believe it or not!) and Pennsylvania were the only states that recognized my DL from another state.

If you are paying out of state tuition I believe that as a full time student you can still claim TN as state of residence.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I came into USMC from Ohio, with Ohio DL. When I was stationed in California I had to get California plates and DL within 30 days. I came back from RVN and got my Ohio DL back. Transferred to NC and had to get NC DL and Plates! Illinois (believe it or not!) and Pennsylvania were the only states that recognized my DL from another state.
    Read up on the Soldier's and Sailor's Relief Act here: The Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act (SSCRA)

As long as you're active duty military with no break in service, ALL states must recognize your driver's license until sixty days after you are discharged.

I am a retired GI, and I kept a military-provided citation to this law next to my driver's license until I retired. I had one cop sit on the side of the road trying to find a way to give me a ticket for my Texas plates in Maryland even after I showed him the law. He got out a big LEO self-study book and flipped pages for twenty minutes while I sat in front of him and his flashy lights in my own neighborhood. He finally called his boss, and was instructed to let me go with an apology.

Your official state of residence is NOT the jurisdictional decision of some random LEO. If you are attending school, simply maintain a mailing address and ensure your driver's license, tags, and registration all use that address. You should be good to go.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a lawyer and none of this should be construed as legal advice. You buy your ticket, you takes your chances. YMMV. Must be present to win. No available in all states.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Easy solution to this problem: Get a non-resident license from a state with reciprocity with both Tennessee and Kentucky.

And like MitchellCT and Saber said... dont get legal advice from cops. While they're generally pretty sharp on reciting penal and transportation codes, they're often totally clueless about regulatory and civil matters, or anything involving case law and judicial opinions. That's what attorneys are for.
    Well. that is actually a very good solution that many do not realize.
    Utah, Florida and especially Missouri have enacted state law and have worked with other states to insure reciprocity between states. This is why so many our of state residents seek a Missouri CCW endorsement. A Missouri endorsement CCW is not a permit as in TN but has reciprocity and is honored in 35 states that Missouri has agreement with not withstanding the state you reside in. In Missouri before the law was changed from permit to endorsement, most NRA instructors taught for a Utah Permit because it was the most liberal at the time. Now Missouri, the 43rd state to enact CCW has by far the most liberal law on the books.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I know this is a little nit-picky but, as the original poster lives in Tennessee, he needs to know this and he obviously does not know it. Tennessee does NOT issue CCW permits. It is NOT a Concealed Carry Permit. It is a Handgun Carry Permit. There is NO legal requirement to conceal the handgun in Tennessee. Open carry is legal.

To answer his question, his Tennessee HCP will be invalid as soon as he establishes residency in Mississippi (I know it is Mississippi because of the 6 month residency requirement before he can apply for the Mississippi CCW and it IS a CCW permit in MS).
    He ceases to be a resident of Tennessee when he gets a Mississippi Drivers License. His TN HCP will not be valid in TN or MS as the HCP is a resident permit only.

This is one of the reasons I am unwilling to move to Mississippi from Tennessee even though the cost of living there in a bit lower.
    In TN, it is in fact a PERMIT. It is also refereed to by the state attorney as CCW. I would necessarily not assume Mississippi. You must know what happens when you assume. I am not a lawyer but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Read up on the Soldier's and Sailor's Relief Act here: The Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act (SSCRA)

As long as you're active duty military with no break in service, ALL states must recognize your driver's license until sixty days after you are discharged.

I am a retired GI, and I kept a military-provided citation to this law next to my driver's license until I retired. I had one cop sit on the side of the road trying to find a way to give me a ticket for my Texas plates in Maryland even after I showed him the law. He got out a big LEO self-study book and flipped pages for twenty minutes while I sat in front of him and his flashy lights in my own neighborhood. He finally called his boss, and was instructed to let me go with an apology.

Your official state of residence is NOT the jurisdictional decision of some random LEO. If you are attending school, simply maintain a mailing address and ensure your driver's license, tags, and registration all use that address. You should be good to go.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a lawyer and none of this should be construed as legal advice. You buy your ticket, you takes your chances. YMMV. Must be present to win. No available in all states.
    Good job MadMac. The SSCRA is still in place and still apllies to an active duty member.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I would consult with an attorney.

There may be ways around it.

A lot has to do with if they plan on returning to TN after grad school.

For example, there are lots of people who maintain a vacation home or second home in another State. They maintain a permanent residence elsewhere where they maintain their drivers license, voter registration and other legal stuff. They are not required to get a State drivers license just because they spend two months during the summer in another State.

So, if they have a place they can call permanent, say a parent's address in TN, they may be able to legally keep their TN permit, DL & vote in TN.

May be worth looking into with an attorney.

Short of that, then, yes, it's going to be a situation where they become a resident of the new State they are attending school in, and they will have to wait the required time to obtain a new ccw permit in their new State.
    After reading and rereading this entire thread, I believe that Bark'n has the best advice...there appears to be a way around your dilemma here.
    OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links