NH Non-Res Permit Finally Arrived!

NH Non-Res Permit Finally Arrived!

This is a discussion on NH Non-Res Permit Finally Arrived! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My New Hampshire permit finally arrived today! To give those who have applied to NH a timeline in case they are waiting like I was, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking NH Non-Res Permit Finally Arrived!

My New Hampshire permit finally arrived today! To give those who have applied to NH a timeline in case they are waiting like I was, I sent in the application 21 June, the check cleared my bank on 28 October, the issue date on the permit is 26 October, it was postmarked 12 November, and arrived in todays mail (16 November). Interestingly enough, it expires on my birthday in 2014, which means it is a few month less than 5 years, since my birthday is in February. As I've mentioned in previous posts, it only adds two states to my OH resident and PA non-resident permits, but it is nice to finally have it. I'd like to visit NH sometime, ride my Harley up there in the fall for the leaves and color, but unfortunately it is one of those places you "can't get there from here" carrying legally thanks to the state of New York.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Wow - it took them almost 5 months to issue a new permit! I mailed my renewal in May and mine was issued August 20th and expires on my birthday in December 2013... That is only 4 years 4 months - not the 5 years I payed for

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i would double check ny law but i believe you can carry it unloaded in a lock box in your saddlebag legally in ny. it is federal law that firearms can be transported interstate legally if the right precautions are followed. as your motorcycle has no trunk the most logical choice would be the saddlebag and a locking case such as a "secure it portable safe" should meet the bill.

XDPistols.com: AACFI Secure It Security Box With Key Lock, SEC9, Black

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepinMaxx View Post
    Wow - it took them almost 5 months to issue a new permit! I mailed my renewal in May and mine was issued August 20th and expires on my birthday in December 2013... That is only 4 years 4 months - not the 5 years I payed for
    you got what you paid for...

"Licenses*expire at midnight on the anniversary of the holder’s date or birth no less than 4 years from the date of issue, with March 2 the expiration for*persons born on February*29. Licenses may*be suspended or*revoked if the person is no longer*deemed a suitable person or*is prohibited from possessing a firearm by*federal or*NH law. The licensee may*appeal a suspension or*revocation within 7 days to the issuing authority. "

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I'm still waiting for mine. The check was deposited Nov. 2 so it may be another week or so. Instead of 14 weeks behind they seem to be 20 or 21 weeks behind.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    you got what you paid for...

"Licenses*expire at midnight on the anniversary of the holder’s date or birth no less than 4 years from the date of issue, . "

I still think I've been fleeced $$ by NH by 8 months

Try getting a MA LTC - it's only good for a year (at $100 each renewal). I've always thought N issued a 4 year license, not 5 years; I got my resident's carry permit in Feb and it expires in April 2013 - just over 4 years.

And you can get here from there - last I checked NY did not encircle your state. May be a little longer trip, but when your on a bike, who cares?
    3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 husband
    2008 Suzuki C50
    2008 Sig 239

When I got mine 2 years ago, it took 44 days. Since then, word has gotten out and they got swamped with applications. Also, the fee went from $20 to $100. I doubt that I'll renew for that price.

I still think I've been fleeced $$ by NH by 8 months
    With all due respect, you need to go back and read the information from NH again. I can't find anything that says the NH permit is valid for five years; everything says FOUR years.

"Licenses*expire at midnight on the anniversary of the holder’s date or birth no less than 4 years from the date of issue, . "
    According to the statute quoted, what you are actually getting is four free months!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I'll be getting mine in a few days probably. Maybe a week or 2 at most. Sent mine in about July 1 or so.

I don't think it adds any states to my list, but in case I ever head up to the New England area for a vacation, I'd like to have it. For $20, it will be worth getting, even if I never have to use it. I'm sure I won't renew for $100 unless I travel there and love it and plan to go back.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i would double check ny law but i believe you can carry it unloaded in a lock box in your saddlebag legally in ny. it is federal law that firearms can be transported interstate legally if the right precautions are followed. as your motorcycle has no trunk the most logical choice would be the saddlebag and a locking case such as a "secure it portable safe" should meet the bill.

XDPistols.com: AACFI Secure It Security Box With Key Lock, SEC9, Black
    I have a portable security box in my truck that would fit in a saddlebag, so I could come thru NY that way, but I meant I couldn't "carry" thru NY. Thanks for posting the link to the security box, though. I also believe I'd have to ride straight thru without stopping in NY for the night, which wouldn't be that much of a problem--I'd just stay in PA for a night, get up early, and ride straight thru NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogieb View Post
    Try getting a MA LTC - it's only good for a year (at $100 each renewal). I've always thought N issued a 4 year license, not 5 years; I got my resident's carry permit in Feb and it expires in April 2013 - just over 4 years.

And you can get here from there - last I checked NY did not encircle your state. May be a little longer trip, but when your on a bike, who cares?
    NY doesn't encircle my state, but it does block yours. If you look at a map, there is no way to get from OH to NH without passing thru NY, except for going up to Canada, and we all know that is not an option with a handgun! Even an MA LTC wouldn't help--still have to go thru NY. Only option is empty, locked in a case, locked in a saddle bag, ammo in opposite saddle bag, also locked. Distance on the bike is certainly not the problem. I love to take the secondary highways, take my time, and see the sights. Going west, I can completely bypass "the peoples republic of ILL-inois", but heading to the northeast, it is impossible to bypass some of the non-gun friendly states.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    With all due respect, you need to go back and read the information from NH again. I can't find anything that says the NH permit is valid for five years; everything says FOUR years.

According to the statute quoted, what you are actually getting is four free months!
    Thanks for the correction I mistook my CT and PA 5 year span for the permit. I guess I'm at 4 years plus... for NH

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    I have a portable security box in my truck that would fit in a saddlebag, so I could come thru NY that way, but I meant I couldn't "carry" thru NY. Thanks for posting the link to the security box, though. I also believe I'd have to ride straight thru without stopping in NY for the night, which wouldn't be that much of a problem--I'd just stay in PA for a night, get up early, and ride straight thru NY.

NY doesn't encircle my state, but it does block yours. If you look at a map, there is no way to get from OH to NH without passing thru NY, except for going up to Canada, and we all know that is not an option with a handgun! Even an MA LTC wouldn't help--still have to go thru NY. Only option is empty, locked in a case, locked in a saddle bag, ammo in opposite saddle bag, also locked. Distance on the bike is certainly not the problem. I love to take the secondary highways, take my time, and see the sights. Going west, I can completely bypass "the peoples republic of ILL-inois", but heading to the northeast, it is impossible to bypass some of the non-gun friendly states.
    My bad - I kinda forgot that NY does have a stranglehold on the whole throat to the NE. Don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that - I blame my early alzheimers!
    3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 husband
    2008 Suzuki C50
    2008 Sig 239

Hey Bogieb, not a problem. I had to recheck a map myself to be sure I couldn't get to NH without going thru NY.

Thanks for the correction I mistook my CT and PA 5 year span for the permit. I guess I'm at 4 years plus... for NH
    Yea, most states are five years, so it's easy to assume all are.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links