Another irresponsible gun owner

This is a discussion on Another irresponsible gun owner within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This reminds me of nutnfancy's video on "Dangerous Things." If the teens had been properly trained in firearm safety and use, and to respect it, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another irresponsible gun owner

This reminds me of nutnfancy's video on "Dangerous Things."

If the teens had been properly trained in firearm safety and use, and to respect it, this wouldn't have happened, regardless of how the owner stored it.

If it were up to me, the teens would be at fault and the criminal liability would end there.
    Proud NRA & MCRGO Member

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta8045 View Post
    If it were up to me, the teens would be at fault and the criminal liability would end there.
    That would mean someone would have to be responsible for their own actions....That doesn't happen anymore in this country...it's always someone elses' fault...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

A would say that the adult homeowner/gunowner bears at least co-responsibility. I say this having raised two boys (now fine young men) and trying my best to secure my premises, and those that pass through it, at all times. Responsibility goes hand-in-hand with rights and privileges.

Dist. Life Member - NRA
    2nd Amendment Democrat
    Vietnam-era Army Vet

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    That would mean someone would have to be responsible for their own actions....That doesn't happen anymore in this country...it's always someone elses' fault...
    Also Beretta 8045... The teens are at fault and the criminal liability stops there.
    That is exactly my thoughts and anything else is to liberal for me. I refuse to believe anything else. Larry

Adults are responsible for the use and safety of their 'tools'...either lock them up or pay the price.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by old south View Post
    Also Beretta 8045... The teens are at fault and the criminal liability stops there.
    That is exactly my thoughts and anything else is to liberal for me. I refuse to believe anything else. Larry
    Yep. The one that pulled the trigger is the only one at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Adults are responsible for the use and safety of their 'tools'...either lock them up or pay the price.
    If they'd wandered into the garage, and one kid used a drill or saw on the other, would the adult be responsible? Why should guns be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    Not trying to bash you crf, but there is absolutely no fault to be placed on the stepbrother for not locking his firearm up. That blame is with the parents of the 15 year old and the teen together as the parents didn't teach any safety and respect for other people's property.
    Not so in MY state! Failure to properly secure a firearm from unauthorized persons (especially minors) can subject one to criminal prosecution. The same law, in various forms, exists in a couple of dozen other states.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    funny...you all accepted the fact that you are responsible for your firearms, the security and safe use of them when you chose to purchase and carry them. but when someone doesnt take the proper precautions he is not responsible...

the article said nothing about blaming the gun owner for the crime...the boy will be charged with that...it did say he is subject to criminal liability...he broke a basic gun ownership rule and a well known law...

you want to blame the parents...i'll go out on a limb and say because you believe they arent gun owners and shirked their responsibility to bring their children up with the proper respect for others property...maybe they are gun owners and their kid just short circuited somewhere because...well...he's a kid...bring on the child psycology and tell me none of you have had an issue with your kid where they used some real poor judgement...and possibly something that could lead to someones death regardless of whether a trigger would have been pulled or not...dont lie to yourselves because you want to stick up for gun ownership...the parents are going to be blamed...not legally...probably civilly for what happened...you cant be that short sighted can you?...

you guys must have been boy scouts when you were younger...never a legal issue or poor judgement on your part?...good for you....speaking as a guy who remembers what it was like to be a kid and some of the foolish decisions i made i guess its unfortunate i didnt lead the charmed life you did...

Legally and civilly? Who can be prosecuted and sued? I pray that this does not happen to me or to you. We are all supposed to be responsible for the village children now, even if we cannot legally slap the crap out of them.

anyone can be prosecuted and sued..and you dont have to be found guilty in criminal court to be found responsible in civil court....i'll use the most obvious for time saving sake...oj simpson...

i hope it didnt take this incident for any of you to realize that everyone is looking for anyone they can blame for anything that can happen...because if you think youre gonna light up a bad guy with your carry weapon and walk away a hero with nothing to worry about you really need to rethink the whole carry idea...

anyone can be prosecuted and sued..and you dont have to be found guilty in criminal court to be found responsible in civil court....i'll use the most obvious for time saving sake...oj simpson...

i hope it didnt take this incident for any of you to realize that everyone is looking for anyone they can blame for anything that can happen...because if you think youre gonna light up a bad guy with your carry weapon and walk away a hero with nothing to worry about you really need to rethink the whole carry idea...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    yes...the neighbor is responsible for the security of his firearms...just like anyone else....
    NO not if my house is locked & a kid did a B&E and got a hold of
    my gun & shot somebody Kid is at fault 100%, MY house was locked
    so my guns were secure So a Neighbor is at FAULT
    No way No how PS a 15 Y/O should be tried as a adult SO WE WILL AGREE TO DISAGREE

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    NO not if my house is locked & a kid did a B&E and got a hold of
    my gun & shot somebody Kid is at fault 100%, MY house was locked
    so my guns were secure So a Neighbor is at FAULT
    No way No how PS a 15 Y/O should be tried as a adult SO WE WILL AGREE TO DISAGREE

H/D
    and how is this in any way related to the the thread we are participating in?...

the gun was left in a place where the teens who were staying there had access to it...it wasnt a b&e...

i'm not sure if youre just being sarcastic or playing the "this is what i would tell the cops" game...because they would certainly believe you with a convincing story like that....just like the old "shoot em in the back on the way out the door, turn em over and put one in the chest...tell em you fired twice and the second one hit em in the back because they spun around"...yeah...the cops would never figure that out...

the gun owner is responsible for securing his firearms from others and did not do so...

i agree...the 15 year old should be tried as an adult....but thats up to the courts to decide...not you or me...we made that decision with our votes...hopefully...

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    If my firearm isn't on me or being cleaned/repaired by me its locked up. But I don't lock it up to prevent its use I lock it up to prevent its theft.

I have accidently left my safe unlocked before. WE ALL DO granted the front door is locked but that is a different habit. If someone in the house found my safe unlocked due to the time I forgot it are you saying I should be prosecuted and tried as a criminal? I don't let people know where I keep my guns and the article didn't specify but I would imagine that the stepbrother hid the revolver. It makes me wonder if I should put a lock on the room door that locks automatically that my gun safe is in and keep it locked incase I forget in the future. Cause heaven forbid a family member ransacks that room, finds one of my firearms and kills someone with it.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links