Another irresponsible gun owner

This is a discussion on Another irresponsible gun owner within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened 10 minutes away from where I live…, even though the 15 year old is of age to make the decision to shoot… the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another irresponsible gun owner

Another irresponsible gun owner

This happened 10 minutes away from where I live…, even though the 15 year old is of age to make the decision to shoot… the responsibility still falls majorly on the step brother who left his gun unlocked and unattended.

SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A 15-year-old boy faces assault charges Monday after he shot his friend in the face.

Springfield Police Sargeant Rich Charboneau said it happend Sunday at a home on Kenray Loop.

He said the two male teens spent Saturday night with the suspect's stepbrother. When the stepbrother left the next morning without locking up his .38 caliber revolver, the teens got hold of it. Charboneau said the suspect then shot his friend, but the motive is still under investigation.

The victim is at OHSU in Portland with life-threatening injuries. Charboneau said his condition has improved, and he's able to communicate through writing with detectives, but unable to speak.

The suspect has since been charged with second-degree assault and unlawful possession of a firearm. He is now lodged at Serbu Juvenile Justice Center in Eugene.

The District Attorney will decide whether or not the suspect will be tried as an adult.

That office will is also responsible for figuring out whether the gun owner, who is also the homeowner, faces any criminal liability.

Police are continuing their investigation.

Springfield Teen Intentionally Shoots Friend In Face | KEZI

2. Remove Ads

I would def say the homeowner/weapon owner is responsible. If he knew that 15 year olds were staying at his house and he left his weapon unsecured.............I'm just sayin'.......
    1stSgt. U.S.M.C. (Ret)(1974-1995)
    Semper Fi !!!!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackZ51Vett View Post
    I would def say the homeowner/weapon owner is responsible. If he knew that 15 year olds were staying at his house and he left his weapon unsecured.............I'm just sayin'.......
    Its not like the kid was 5... he was 15 he knew better. Even if it wasn't an accident. Its like saying to lock up your car keys. The teen could have just as easily drove off and hurt someone with a car.

While we are at it lets lock up baseball bats, tools, and kitchen knives. Those are dangerous and teenagers shouldn't have access to those either.

Knowledge is power my friend. Teach the youth
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Yea well unfortunately, most states dont have laws on car keys, baseball bats, and kitchen knives, but they do have laws on guns.......
    1stSgt. U.S.M.C. (Ret)(1974-1995)
    Semper Fi !!!!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    responsibility is responsibility. the law says secure your firearms and keep them out of childrens reach. that obviously wasnt the case here and the owner will probably be held responsible for that.

Reading this makes me think about my actions. Ever since I received my CCW I have taken a step back, if is as if I am looking at myself doing the actions and then thinking is this correct? Having a weapon on your person is a GREAT responsibility and it reqiured major readjusting in your everyday life. I guess some people just assume that this GUN is not so "BAD", so let me be my stupid self and do as I always do.
    I remember when I was a boy and I was playing with my cousins. We were in my uncles bedroom and I found his 38, thank GOD he walked in and started yelling THAT THING IS LOADED. My life would have totally changed!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZ51Vett View Post
    Yea well unfortunately, most states dont have laws on car keys, baseball bats, and kitchen knives, but they do have laws on guns.......
    by law you are correct but again... what stops a teen from using another means to harm someone? Should the owner of the object be liable for their actions, or should the parent, or should the teen?

A firearm is just another tool be it a specific job its better to prevent accidents then installing all the locks in the world.

Lets take the fact of the step brother's neglect out of the equation. If the teen found a neighbors guns and shot his friend should the neighbor be responsible?

I'm not saying he won't be held responsible but its just something to think about
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    by law you are correct but again... what stops a teen from using another means to harm someone? Should the owner of the object be liable for their actions, or should the parent, or should the teen?

A firearm is just another tool be it a specific job its better to prevent accidents then installing all the locks in the world.

Lets take the fact of the step brother's neglect out of the equation. If the teen found a neighbors guns and shot his friend should the neighbor be responsible?

I'm not saying he won't be held responsible but its just something to think about
    yes...the neighbor is responsible for the security of his firearms...just like anyone else..

the nra had an interesting article regarding the kid who was beaten to death with a piece of lumber recently...they commented that nobody traced the source of the lumber and that it wasnt registerecd to anyone yet it was a deadly weapon in the hnds of the killer...there are no laws regarding the safe handling and security of lumber...buit there are laws regarding the same with firearms...when you own them you assume those responsibilities...if you do not want to then you should not own them...

I'm not arguing that there isn't laws, I'm just commenting how people will portray the gun owner as at fault when its the teen that did the act.

It was really stupid not to lock up a loaded revolver but should it be criminal? Should the step brother face criminal prosecution and possible jail time for someone else’s actions? How about a stiff fine instead? Not to worry though they will go after him and he will not be able to own a gun again. There will probably be a civil suit and he will loose his shirt, shoes and the like.

The anti gun populous can savor their victory, while we can shake our heads in disappointment.

Let's face it. Most of us grew up in a completely different environment. When I was much younger, and my boys were growing up; I never, never locked up my guns. They knew where they were kept, but to best of my knowledge, never messed with them, without either myself, or my wife's approval. Of course, they had their own guns at an early age, but same rules still applied.
    Today, everyone is sue happy. Let's sue them for some big $$$$ Rules have changed from common sense, to ridiculous.

nobody is portraying the gun owner as at fault...the question is his responsibility for not properly storing his weapon. when you break the law you are generally held responsible for doing so.

"The suspect has since been charged with second-degree assault and unlawful possession of a firearm. He is now lodged at Serbu Juvenile Justice Center in Eugene.

The District Attorney will decide whether or not the suspect will be tried as an adult.

That office will is also responsible for figuring out whether the gun owner, who is also the homeowner, faces any criminal liability."

Not trying to bash you crf, but there is absolutely no fault to be placed on the stepbrother for not locking his firearm up. That blame is with the parents of the 15 year old and the teen together as the parents didn't teach any safety and respect for other people's property.

It's thinking like that (responsible/liable for "properly" securing) that get's the Brady bunch and the Dems all fired up to push more gun control legislation that would make it a criminal offense to not lock your firearms up.

These are just the types of cases where the teen and his parents should face the brunt of any punishment or financial burden over the issue. These days, parents simply don't take responsibility for their children or their children's actions.

apparently you are not familiar with the term "attractive nuisance"...it may not be fault in the actual incident...it may be fault for not preventing the gun from being used in the incident...his obligation...

you can think anyway you want and try to justify your thinking with common sense arguments...unfortunately the law is not based on nor does it count on common sense...in this case it isnt even up for interpretation...it is the firearm owners responsibility to make sure the firearm is not available to those who have no business handling it including minors...who are classified as such because they are not considered able to make good judgement decisions on their own...its one of the reasons they dont vote...heck...most adults have proven they arent capable of making that decision...

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Apples and oranges: Unlike car keys, knives, and baseball bats, a misused firearm can instantly result in an unintended death. The owner bears at least SOME responsibility for not securing his firearm while it was out of his possession.

Yes, the majority of this falls on the idiot kid who pulled the trigger, but leaving your gun accessible to others in the house is foolish unless you're specifically relying on a trusted person to take responsibility for it.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    Not trying to bash you crf, but there is absolutely no fault to be placed on the stepbrother for not locking his firearm up. That blame is with the parents of the 15 year old and the teen together as the parents didn't teach any safety and respect for other people's property.

It's thinking like that (responsible/liable for "properly" securing) that get's the Brady bunch and the Dems all fired up to push more gun control legislation that would make it a criminal offense to not lock your firearms up.

These are just the types of cases where the teen and his parents should face the brunt of any punishment or financial burden over the issue. These days, parents simply don't take responsibility for their children or their children's actions.
    Kinda the point I was making but still law is law and just cause the step brother didn't pull the trigger doesn't mean he won't be punished to the full extent of the law. Depending on the state and the DA he may or may not face charges. I hope he learns a lesson and doen't get criminal charges but I'm going to seriously doubt it will go down that way.

Avoid liability!!! just put a cheap gun lock on (you know the one that comes with your gun). By defeting the lock they take the liability off you. It goes from neglect on your part to theft on their part.

I may not agree with them being able to criminalize the owner of the gun but the laws as dumb as it may be are still law, so there is no amount of whining and complaining that will change that. The guy is up creek without a paddle.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links