Defensive Carry banner

Pa CCL Information

4K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  H22ate 
#1 ·
Ok I turned 21 last just and the first thing I did was got my concealed permit (I still havent been to a bar but I have quite a few guns *grin*). When I went to pick it up I was in and out in like 5 minutes and recieved no info on rules regulations/restrictions. Im just looking for some info on when I can and can not use deadly force. If anybody out there knows of a site on the web where I could find something like that for pennsylvania I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Jason

#3 ·
Jason, welcome again.

As long as site is viable (they have been off at times) http://www.packing.org/ should provide most info you need. Also cruise thru the NRA site and search out legal info.

In PA we still have an obligation to retreat if possible and can only answer a threat with deadly force if we can say 100%, we were in fear of our life. PA is tho one of 17 other states still going for Castle Doctrine and I very much hope that will come to pass.

We may not carry on Federal property, schools and court houses - pretty much anything else goes. Remember the responsibility you carry along with your firearm and be aware it is your last line of defence.

#4 ·
Advice? Stay away from the bars, carrying or not nothing good ever happens there. Second Find a good CCW/Defensive handgun training course. Read this thread for some info http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9093

Remember the only time you can use deadly force is if your life is in immediate danger. And you better be able to prove that your life was threatened and that there was no other way out of the situation, if you did not pull a gun you would be dead right now.

Might be a good idea to find a good lawyer that understands ccw.

#5 ·
http://members.aol.com/StatutesP1/18.Cp.5.html

Also from PA here, same situation. The site above will help some but I recommend going to your State Senator for a complete copy of statutes regarding deadly force and handguns, that's where I'm going.

PA State Police are supposed to have this info but don't. I stopped in a PSP barracks and asked and they directed me to their website which has very little info.

#6 ·
Congrats on the Carry permit.

I think the main key has been hit on, you need to be able to show your life was in danger. The primary thing you need to concentrate on while you are carrying is to take special care to keep out of a situation where you would need your gun. This will save you the headache of using it. It's obviously not always possible, but it's the best bet.

#7 ·
In PA. you are pretty much covered in your home and on your own property.

But , In the end , only a Judge and Jury will determine what is legal
self defense, so we must be content with guidelines.

Here's a good article written by a Prosecuting Attorney

http://www.ittendojo.org/articles/general-4.htm

#8 ·
Howdy!
The very best advice that I can share with you is to book a course with a good tactical handgun instructor. Not only will they cover the legal issues that you MUST fully understand, they will make you a hundred times more likely to actually survive a gunfight.
20 or so years ago I attended my first course. I had already burned a half million or so rounds by then, and was a pretty fair shot. However, about 20 minutes into it, I realized that had I needed to defend myself, I would have most certainly have died on the spot. You won't even understand what you don't know until you do it.
I would avoid the local gunshop commando. Thunder Ranch, Randy Cain, John Farnam, Gunsite, David Blinder, Gabe Suarez, Louie Awerbach or Chuck Taylor would be the guys that I can recommend.
For a young guy, it will be a chunk of change - but it will just possibly save your life. Good luck!

#9 ·
Congratulations! Now find a good course and instructor in your area. Unless you are an attorney reading the law can be tedious and boreing. You will get more insite into the law and how things really work from a good instructor than from reading statute law. Also, as noted by others, simply knowing how to shoot at paper targets is one small part of the equation of how to survive. You will be surprised at how much you don't know.

#10 ·
Thanks everybody for the info. !!!
P95carry..... I'm in fayette co. do you know of any training courses around my area. Laural Ridge (Pa state gun supply) Has some pretty knowlageable guys working there, they either were cops or are in the family and tied to all the State cops in my area..... Would you know if they could give me some info? Actually most of the guys are mountain folk and just rely on "hey if you're on my property i'm shootin ya" because they in most cases could be they're own professional witnesses.

#11 ·
Nothing I can think of or suggest.

The teaching I do (NRA) is over at Hollidaysburg (Blair County) and they do once or twice a year act as guests to a course doing some pretty serious tactical stuff - actually beyond anything I would call intro level CCW.

We do run NRA Personal Protection courses now and again, for folks who have done Basic Pistol - that would be about all I can suggest from here. You may well have to travel a bit and hopefully too someone else may know of something you could attend and where.

As for your local guys - well I am sure they could provide quite a useful amount of info but does not sound like you'd get an actual course per se.

#12 ·
Pa

Here are some carry basics for PA.

Concealed means concealed as in hidden on your person.

You are NOT legally required to disclose that you are carrying if you are stopped by a LEO for a traffic violation in your vehicle.

Just carry in your car the same as you carry on your person.
You do not need to do anything different or special with your firearm when you are in your car...so make sure you can sit as well as stand in whatever holster you decide to carry in. Your firearm should stay on your person.

You MUST have your PA License To Carry A Firearm Concealed - On Your Person anytime you are wearing your firearm. The original & not a copy.

No Courthouse Or Federal Buildings - They are off limits.

You may not carry on school property.

The handgun that you carry must be registered to you but, you may carry any handgun that is registered to you.

You may carry into bars and restaurants.

You may drink alcohol while carrying concealed as long as you stay under legal Blood Alcohol limit. It is NOT a good idea to get drunk or intoxicated while carrying a firearm...the same as it is not good to drink & drive. But, geesh if you want to have a beer with dinner then do what you will.

You must not brandish your firearm.

You have a legal first obligation to retreat.

Do not go to KennyWood Park with your firearm. They wand EVERYBODY before they enter the park.

Basically, you can just go about your normal daily business only with your firearm.

BUY A GOOD HOLSTER & GUN BELT.

The malls are OK...as are stores & pretty much anyplace else.

Just make sure that you do not do anything stupid to lose your PA LTC because chances are good that you'll NEVER get it back if it's ever revoked.

#13 ·
QKShooter said:
1 -The handgun that you carry must be registered to you but, you may carry any handgun that is registered to you.
2 -You have a legal first obligation to retreat.
3 -Do not go to KennyWood Park with your firearm. They wand EVERYBODY before they enter the park.
4 -BUY A GOOD HOLSTER & GUN BELT.
5 -Just make sure that you do not do anything stupid to lose your PA LTC because chances are good that you'll NEVER get it back if it's ever revoked.
1 - No way, My fiance carries a beretta tomcat (registered to me, and I was giving her my 38sp snubby, registered to me) I knew nothing about that. What could I do to put one in her name?
2 - I heard there was a debate going on to abolish that???
3 - Ha $45 to go there, I remember skipping school:rolleyes: and going there for $20
4 - I just ordered an H.B.E. 18 week wait *err*
5 - come again??

P95Carry said:
Nothing I can think of or suggest.

The teaching I do (NRA) is over at Hollidaysburg (Blair County) and they do once or twice a year act as guests to a course doing some pretty serious tactical stuff - actually beyond anything I would call intro level CCW.
Hmm. Sounds like something I would definately be interested in, whats that all about???

#15 ·
Jason - yes PA is one of 17 states currently with legislation on the books for approval - to I sincerely hope achieve us our own Castle Doctrine and stand-your-ground.

As for a gun ''registered'' to a CCW specifiically - i must admit that was not something I had been aware of - ''registration'' really only being the paperwork filled out at purchase/transfer - darned near registration tho :frown:. I only carry one of my own guns so it is not a factor anyways - tho my wife carries one of mine but then the spousal deal covers that.

I think what QK means re #5 is - do not screw up, like brandishing, crazy stuff etc - cos if the permit revoked it may be near impossible to get reinstated. Pretty much common sense stuff really.

The tac' courses - well I forget who runs them but they are around 3 days, small group - LOT of range time which includes many aspects of CQC. I would not personally tend to recommend those however for anyone relatively very new to shooting and carry, reckoning that some experience in advance would help gain a greater benefit - plus they would cost about $300 IIRC, maybe more. I have no dates for this year.

#16 ·
P95Carry said:
Jason - yes PA is one of 17 states currently with legislation on the books for approval - to I sincerely hope achieve us our own Castle Doctrine and stand-your-ground.

As for a gun ''registered'' to a CCW specifiically - i must admit that was not something I had been aware of - ''registration'' really only being the paperwork filled out at purchase/transfer - darned near registration tho :frown:. I only carry one of my own guns so it is not a factor anyways - tho my wife carries one of mine but then the spousal deal covers that.

I think what QK means re #5 is - do not screw up, like brandishing, crazy stuff etc - cos if the permit revoked it may be near impossible to get reinstated. Pretty much common sense stuff really.

The tac' courses - well I forget who runs them but they are around 3 days, small group - LOT of range time which includes many aspects of CQC. I would not personally tend to recommend those however for anyone relatively very new to shooting and carry, reckoning that some experience in advance would help gain a greater benefit - plus they would cost about $300 IIRC, maybe more. I have no dates for this year.
Well I'll be married in Oct so I'll be covered then and wont have anything to worry about,
Yea $300 or so for a 3 day event isnt bad at all, I'd definately do that.... Though I'm kinda new to carrying a weapon I dont want you to get the impression im like some yuppy who said "hmm i want a gun" (I've seen quite a few of those people in local shops that dont even know how to shoot a gun let alone they want to carry one in public) *ahh*. My dad, with moms shagrin raised me up around guns, Ive been shooting probably since the age of 7 or so with the .22 and the last 5 years I've been heavy into my long guns and assault rifles. Now that im 21 ive been buying pistols like pez to a 6yr old, So I'm farily experienced, with guns just new to carry. If you can find some dates or a web-site for me id greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Jason

#17 ·
Yep, like one guy I knew that was so used to packing every single day and was going into the movie theater w/ his fiancée & without even thinking removed his holster & firearm on a busy street to lock it in the car trunk & some panicked lady saw him and called the cops and did a "Man With A Gun" on him.

Or another that was doing a "Mex Carry" (no holster) and his firearm hit the floor in the supermarket check out line. :biggrin2:

Dumb things like that can cost you your LTC and it's almost impossible to get back once you get it taken from you. :spankme:

Basically PA is Very Easy To Get...Very Easy to live with & carry every day & TOUGH to get back should you ever screw up.

Certain other items ARE prohibited...Do Not carry them. Your PA LTC does not cover them.
Flat Saps - Brass Knucks - Double Edged Knives or Daggers - Switchblades - Collapsible Baton -

OC Spray is OK as are single edged "ordinary" knives.

#19 ·
Thx for that link Kid - I had forgotten the site URL. That was what I had wanted to remember earlier!

Last year they did an October course too but seems like this year not.

#20 ·
Ahh man its on a Wed. and Thur.... That sucks due to me having to save my vacation days to go on my honeymoon:mad:

Ohh btw, Do you know when you can use rubber rounds??? I just bought some ALS tech. Rounds. Granted it is a non-lethal rd but what kind of consiquences do they have when using, and can you use them say if somebody is breaking into your vehicle?

#21 ·
No...You absolutely cannot shoot anybody with anything loaded into your firearm just for breaking into your vehicle.

Important: Your PA License To Carry A Firearm Concealed is intended for personal Self~Defense of your life, family, & innocent human beings if facing an immediate deadly threat that cannot be otherwise avoided.

#22 ·
QKShooter said:
No...You absolutely cannot shoot anybody with anything loaded into your firearm just for breaking into your vehicle.

Important: Your PA License To Carry A Firearm Concealed is intended for personal Self~Defense of your life, family, & innocent human beings if facing an immediate deadly threat that cannot be otherwise avoided.
Thanks for the info, so what would the circumstances be when you would be able to use non-lethal over deadly force ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.