Defensive Carry banner

Pardon me sir, your concealed weapon...isn't

7K views 66 replies 65 participants last post by  ItsMyRight2 
#1 ·
This came up in another forum thought I'd ask the same question here.
Given situation: You're in Wal-Wart ( why does all the good stuff happen at Wal-Mart?) and you notice that a fellow shopper's cover garmet has slipped or their CCW is otherwise exposed. This is a complete stranger. Would you approach them? How would you react if you were so approached?

The thread I originally read this from offers the option of asking for the persons CHP( yeah, right.....NOT!) or dialing 911. I personally see those as ridiculous options, so I chose not to include them.

personally I wouldn't involve myself, because I know how I'd react if I complete stranger walked up to me out of no where and started talking about my gun. What's your opinion?

#2 ·
I wouldn't ask for their CHP (I'm not a cop, just a citizen, and therefor there is absolutely no authority for that), not would I call 911, unless there were other indicators that the person with the exposed firearm had bad intentions.

So, I would either a.) do nothing and just leave them be, open carry is legal in my state anyways, or b.) possibly walk up and say something along the lines of "Excuse me sir, but that is a nice (insert firearm make here), what do you think of it?"

I would however, make sure I approached from the front of the other individual, and probably try to make sure I was seen before I was right there. But thinking about it, I probably wouldn't really say anything.

If someone walked up and started talking to me about my firearm, I'd treat them like everyone else, with respect and dignity, and watch their hands.

#3 ·
If I saw someone else was carrying I would mind my business and leave them alone.

If someone asked me to see my CHP I would ask to see their badge. If they didn't have a badge I would politely ask them to be on their way. If they did have a badge I would produce my CHP to the LEO.

#5 ·
I'd jump up on the nearest counter and yell out in a booming voice "MAN WITH A GUN!" while pointing at him.

Seriously though, here in VA I would say nothing to him, VA is an OC state so no problem with his weapon being exposed.

#9 ·
I'd jump up on the nearest counter and yell out in a booming voice "MAN WITH A GUN!" while pointing at him...
:haha:

I'd probably try to make eye contact with him. Then I'd give a non verbal cue by motioning with my eyes and a head nod towards his exposed firearm. If he didn't take the hint or I couldn't get his attention, I'd leave him alone. Tennessee is an open carry state after all.

#6 ·
It depends, on who and where. With some of the good folks in my local Walmart, I probably wouldn't even mention it. If it were someone who didn't look like your common street thug, and it was obvious he isn't intentionally open carrying(legal in MI), I might say something, quietly. If I can see a holster and not just the grip sticking out of a waistband, I'd be more likely to mention it.

#64 ·
excuse me...but your fly is open...
i think before they get into trouble it wouldnt be a bad idea to just let them know theyre showing...i'm sure they would be appreciative...
and it is your business...trouble just brings more unwanted attention for gun control freaks...
If my concealed handgun is inadvertently showing, I hope that someone will show me the courtesy of politely pointing it out to me. Hopefully, such a helpful act will save me from extreme embarrassment thereafter. That being said, I will do the same for another who obviously is inadvertently "showing."
Same here please let me know that "that which I do not intend to show is showing."

#11 ·
It really depends.. First assess the situation by monitoring for a moment from afar..

.. If the person is your everyday run of the mill doofus (like me!) then I would say something to the person such as, "Hey... I think your firearm might be exposed there.." and smile..

..But if the person doesn't sit right, then I think I would approach someone at the store and let them address the issue and still monitor from afar until resolution.

#13 ·
I think this is another one of those "situational awareness" type deals. I wouldn't walk up to any of the wanna-be gangsters in any of the WalMart stores around me and say anything. Provided the situation was right, or if I was in Okeechobee, I'd make a short-breathed comment similar to what KaH said. "You're showing" or "You're not concealed", something to that effect. Nothing that is going to garner a lot of interest or attention from the sheep.

OC is not legal in my state. To that point, I'd rather give someone a polite verbal nudge than the harassment they'd have to deal with if an LEO found them unconcealed.

#20 ·
I might make eye contact and possibly let him see me look at where he knows his pistol is located and walk away. If he picks up on the gesture good, if he missed it, then so be it. I don't know the guy, but I would inspect my carry situation if someone did the same to me....

GBk

#26 ·
Probably your best bet. If you make a nod to him getting his attention or whatever jesture you use, and look directly at this carry piece that is showing, they will get the message.

#21 ·
My wife spotted a guy that she thought was OC'ing in a place that was a gun free area per NC law. I gave her a little grief for not saying something to me about it. I would have absolutely said something to him. I would not want to see someone get in legal trouble for a mistake. If it was not a gun free area, we are an OC state, so it would depend on whether he looked to be trying to CC or not. I learned a long time ago you can say nearly anything to anyone if you have a good attitude and a smile. :yup:

#22 ·
"Sir (Madam), the OK corral is open." (while smiling from behind cover)

#23 ·
This assumes it was a regular Joe or Jill, not some gangster kid and that it was apparent that they were purposely trying to conceal with an IWB etc. A simple "Your shirt's up." would just about cover it. If it were me and my shirt was up, I'd be like, "Uh oh!" and quickly cover what I thought was uncovered. If I wasn't carrying (which is never) then I wouldn't want my shirt to be up anyway.

:9:

#24 ·
I would probably mention something if I saw noticed somebody showing.

Hopefully it would never happen to me, but if it did, I would want to be told by somebody with like ideas....:wink:

#25 ·
I would have to tell the person they are printing... to me it comes across as "hey that guy has my back" most people in the CCW world know what printing is, and most sheeple that are around dont know what it means.

I guess I would have to treat that guy/girl the same way I would want him/her to treat me.

#30 ·
You are in Colorado. Open carry is legal. Case closed.

#31 ·
If they were behaving "normally" I would probably, as discreetly as possible, whisper, "Dude, check your rig", or something of that nature.

Now, if they looked "suspicious", i.e., slinking around the store, looking over their shoulder constantly, I might alert store management to call their security, or call 9-1-1.

It would just depend on the situation. If my weapon was showing, I would want someone to let me know. We're OC in Kansas, but NOT in Wichita, so I don't want any trouble with local LE.

#32 ·
depends on what vibe I get from the person....I never doubt or second guess that voice in the back of my head

no OC allowed here so I'd politely say "you're exposing your [insert weapon brand/model here]"

I'd want them to know before a :sheep: or Brady Bunch supporter saw them and yelled "23-19! 23-19!" as in Monsters :rofl:
that would be a bad mark against CCW in general

#35 ·
Seeing as how there's no OC in Texas, I'd look at the person and make a judgement of whether or not I think that person is a threat to society. For example, if he's "gangsta carrying" then chances he has a CHL are low. If it's in a hollister, then the chances he has a CHL. Age also plays a large part in it.

MOST LIKELY, I'd say "Excuse me sir" and when he turned around I'd just say, "your shirt" and look at the direction of his gun.

That's it. Calling 9-1-1 is absurd if I don't feel he's a threat to anyone's safety.

#36 ·
Although it may be obvious because of a IWB holster that the person intended to carry concealed open carry is legal in Michigan, so more than likely in this state he/she is perfectly legal. I would not involve myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.