Pardon me sir, your concealed weapon...isn't

This is a discussion on Pardon me sir, your concealed weapon...isn't within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This came up in another forum thought I'd ask the same question here. Given situation: You're in Wal-Wart ( why does all the good stuff ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pardon me sir, your concealed weapon...isn't

Pardon me sir, your concealed weapon...isn't

This came up in another forum thought I'd ask the same question here.
    Given situation: You're in Wal-Wart ( why does all the good stuff happen at Wal-Mart?) and you notice that a fellow shopper's cover garmet has slipped or their CCW is otherwise exposed. This is a complete stranger. Would you approach them? How would you react if you were so approached?

The thread I originally read this from offers the option of asking for the persons CHP( yeah, right.....NOT!) or dialing 911. I personally see those as ridiculous options, so I chose not to include them.

personally I wouldn't involve myself, because I know how I'd react if I complete stranger walked up to me out of no where and started talking about my gun. What's your opinion?

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't ask for their CHP (I'm not a cop, just a citizen, and therefor there is absolutely no authority for that), not would I call 911, unless there were other indicators that the person with the exposed firearm had bad intentions.

So, I would either a.) do nothing and just leave them be, open carry is legal in my state anyways, or b.) possibly walk up and say something along the lines of "Excuse me sir, but that is a nice (insert firearm make here), what do you think of it?"

I would however, make sure I approached from the front of the other individual, and probably try to make sure I was seen before I was right there. But thinking about it, I probably wouldn't really say anything.

If someone walked up and started talking to me about my firearm, I'd treat them like everyone else, with respect and dignity, and watch their hands.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If I saw someone else was carrying I would mind my business and leave them alone.

If someone asked me to see my CHP I would ask to see their badge. If they didn't have a badge I would politely ask them to be on their way. If they did have a badge I would produce my CHP to the LEO.
    CZ 75 B
    DPMS AR 15
    CZ 453 American

KaH
    I would probably make a quiet comment like, "You're showing" because it is what I would like someone to do for me were I exposed and unaware. After the comment I would be on my way without expectation of a response or ensuing conversation.

I live in Texas where OC is not allowed.
    Last edited by KaH; November 18th, 2009 at 05:39 AM.

VIP Member
    I'd jump up on the nearest counter and yell out in a booming voice "MAN WITH A GUN!" while pointing at him.

Seriously though, here in VA I would say nothing to him, VA is an OC state so no problem with his weapon being exposed.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    It depends, on who and where. With some of the good folks in my local Walmart, I probably wouldn't even mention it. If it were someone who didn't look like your common street thug, and it was obvious he isn't intentionally open carrying(legal in MI), I might say something, quietly. If I can see a holster and not just the grip sticking out of a waistband, I'd be more likely to mention it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I would mind my own business......not really my concern.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    excuse me...but your fly is open...

i think before they get into trouble it wouldnt be a bad idea to just let them know theyre showing...i'm sure they would be appreciative...

and it is your business...trouble just brings more unwanted attention for gun control freaks...

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'd jump up on the nearest counter and yell out in a booming voice "MAN WITH A GUN!" while pointing at him...

I'd probably try to make eye contact with him. Then I'd give a non verbal cue by motioning with my eyes and a head nod towards his exposed firearm. If he didn't take the hint or I couldn't get his attention, I'd leave him alone. Tennessee is an open carry state after all.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    This came up in another forum thought I'd ask the same question here.
    Given situation: You're in Wal-Wart ( why does all the good stuff happen at Wal-Mart?) and you notice that a fellow shopper's cover garmet has slipped or their CCW is otherwise exposed. This is a complete stranger. Would you approach them? How would you react if you were so approached?

The thread I originally read this from offers the option of asking for the persons CHP( yeah, right.....NOT!) or dialing 911. I personally see those as ridiculous options, so I chose not to include them.

personally I wouldn't involve myself, because I know how I'd react if I complete stranger walked up to me out of no where and started talking about my gun. What's your opinion?
    My answer would depend on if I am in an OC state or not. If I am, I'd probably mind my own business. If I am not, I'd mention something.

Thumbs up

It really depends.. First assess the situation by monitoring for a moment from afar..

.. If the person is your everyday run of the mill doofus (like me!) then I would say something to the person such as, "Hey... I think your firearm might be exposed there.." and smile..

..But if the person doesn't sit right, then I think I would approach someone at the store and let them address the issue and still monitor from afar until resolution.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post

I'd probably try to make eye contact with him. Then I'd give a non verbal cue by motioning with my eyes and a head nod towards his exposed firearm. If he didn't take the hint or I couldn't get his attention, I'd leave him alone. Tennessee is an open carry state after all.
    Agree with the non verbal cue. I would do the same or do a brush and pat on myself to let them know. "sheep dog" Should be a new language
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I think this is another one of those "situational awareness" type deals. I wouldn't walk up to any of the wanna-be gangsters in any of the WalMart stores around me and say anything. Provided the situation was right, or if I was in Okeechobee, I'd make a short-breathed comment similar to what KaH said. "You're showing" or "You're not concealed", something to that effect. Nothing that is going to garner a lot of interest or attention from the sheep.

OC is not legal in my state. To that point, I'd rather give someone a polite verbal nudge than the harassment they'd have to deal with if an LEO found them unconcealed.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Has anyone here been on the other end of a comment like that?

What I'm wondering is - if some stranger at Wal-mart came up to you and said "You're showing", would you understand what they meant?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would mind my own business......not really my concern.
    Same here. No need to get involved at all. No need to be "that guy" who tells him...someone will eventually.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links