Russia trip...any suggestions for "protection"

This is a discussion on Russia trip...any suggestions for "protection" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From Dr. Strangelove: 1 .45 automatic. 2 boxes of ammunition. 4 days' concentrated emergency rations. 1 drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Russia trip...any suggestions for "protection"

From Dr. Strangelove:

1 .45 automatic.
    2 boxes of ammunition.
    4 days' concentrated emergency rations.
    1 drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills.
    1 miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible.
    100 dollars in rubles.
    100 dollars in gold.
    9 packs of chewing gum.
    1 issue of prophylactics.
    3 lipsticks.
    3 pairs of nylon stockings.
    "A fellow could have a pretty good time in Vegas with that stuff".
    --Slim Pickins

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I'd forget the gun and pack a few rolls of good toilet paper. You'll thank me later.

It doesn't matter what you carry, legal or not.

If you get in trouble with anyone in Russia you will be at best subject to a judicial system that is VERY corrupt and does not exactly conform to the US idea of due process...

And at worst you will find the guys you were fighting are "connected", and never make it to the police to report the incident.

You will not win, even if you win.

Stop thinking you can beat the system. It's live Vegas...but with special forces guys who don't mind killing you, and cops who know that the SF guys will kill them just as fast.

MLC
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Try not to look and act like an American.

white tennis shoes are a dead give away.

I was in Moscow and Kiev in 1974. About all I would suggest is to have your wits about you and keep a low profile.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the most basic form of protection that you could bring with you is a sturdy cane or irish sheleli (a cane made specifically to beat the crap out of someone and slide around weapon laws)...so many paople walk with canes it is accepted for plane travel and in my own personal experience it gets you on the plane and through security checks faster...if you are walking with one you can ask for a wheelchair and get some real expedited service to your gate...its kind of fun actually...no lines and they treat you like gold...

a sword cane is out of the question and not really practical either...but a sturdy cane with a good blunt end is quite an effective weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Try not to look and act like an American.
    Quoted for sake of being very common and good general advice.

As well do not be a moron and think you can walk the streets after sundown without a concern in the world as many folk might at 'home', and do when beyond our borders only to wind up telling stories of woe.

When in Rome roll like a Roman, even as you might be Greek...and ride in on a Trojan horse.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

+1 on the cane suggestion. Here is a self defense cane website that has some super canes. I have one myself and it is great.
    Walking Canes for mobility, self defense, exercise and rehabilitation - by Cane Masters
    The Dragon has time and experience. Maturity has given him knowledge, strength, skill, wisdom and inner peace.
    Glock 26 Certified Glock Armorer
    Mossberg 590 12 ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Personally, I'd forget the gun and pack a few rolls of good toilet paper. You'll thank me later.
    Excellent advice for traveling anywhere outside the US. Most countries have really crappy toilet paper.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Hey, this is no joke.
    My cousin has been going over there on business for our government for about 5 years now and during the first year, he had a guide/interpurter person.
    He swears to me the following happened to him his first trip while in Moscow:
    "I was standing there and this good looking young girl grabbed me by the hand and was talking to me and trying to pull me away for some reason. Then, the guide pulled me back and got my attention. He explained that there is a scam running in the big cities that the girl gets your attention, pulls you aside then....yells for the policeman, who is conveniently nearby and tells him....something to the effect...."this is the man that tried to rape me" or...."this man just propositioned me" and the rest follows suit. Cop takes you to jail, it costs thousands to get you out".

Well, there you have it. My cousin is an college educated, credible person who has never been known to lie. The MOB is really, really, big over there. Bigger than anything you have imagined in this country. The corruption is only second to perhaps Mexico.

Our Sunday School teacher's wife does misson work around the world and was in Russia a few months ago and shared with us. There are many nice people and things there but overall, the feeling she got from the population was that of dislike for Americans. Afterall, their government brainwashed them into thinking that the United States was the evil country, hell bent on killing them and taking their country away.

Beware.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Why take things with you? Stop by a hardware store you can pickup a whole lot things. You cannot find small can of bug spray to double as a can of mace? Box cutter, wooden dowel, awl, road flares, flair gun, toilet cleaner and ammonia. plumbing pipe. Give me 45 minutes in the store and I could hold back a small army for a while.

How about a supermarket? All the cleaning products. Toothbrushes, Razor blades, disposable lighters, Lighter fluid, potato peeler, sharpie marker, List goes on.

You could also hire a private security firm

Holy crap Hitch!! You sound like an inmate!! LMAO!! Got a razor blade melted in the handle of your tooth brush??? Checked the TraZor index lately??

I'm just kidding.......
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

You can purchase oc spray in Russia. They have gas pistols that look like a typical firearm and fire mace. You can buy a cane in many tourist stores and or purchase a knife when there. But...... so damn many people are packing heat over there (at least in "98 true) it would suck to pull a gas pistol and get popped in the gut by a makarov.
    Do not try and be smart by "seeing" the "real Russia You may wind up in a pub/club that makes the Corleones look like wussies. Your'e best bet is the cane and learn how to use it. Stay away from the Gypsies (sinty and roma sorry please take no offense )
    Best bet when confronting new people try to stay within arms reach so you can disarm the attacker (learn and practice before you go) a small gerber fairbaine on a lanyard can be opened fast from the back pocket by placing lanyard in index finger and flipping around hand (loosen blade first) (disclaimer I have cut my joint BAD once) and kill the attacker, this "trick saved my tail against a couple of turks twice.
    You can put a knife in checked baggage double check!! but I have done it. Tried to be brief sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    From Dr. Strangelove:

"A fellow could have a pretty good time in Vegas with that stuff".
    --Slim Pickins
    YouTube - Dr. Strangelove - 1964 Part 5/11

be very careful. I heard an American got arrested and went to a Russian jail for having a box of rifle ammo in his checked luggage.

I lived there for three years. You really really don't want to get the attention of the local police or mafia. Read this before you go - Tig Hague: Zone 22 Official Site

Dress like a local, keep your mouth shut, have fun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links