Norfolk, VA

This is a discussion on Norfolk, VA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be in Norfolk, VA in January at the Ted Constant Convention Center. Is CC allow there ( I would assume not) or is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk, VA

Norfolk, VA

I will be in Norfolk, VA in January at the Ted Constant Convention Center. Is CC allow there ( I would assume not) or is the fact that it is associated with ODU a no-no for carry? I have searched and cannot find any answer.
    Thank you for your input.
    Take care,
    VTXDM40...........Molon Labe

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Carry is not prohibited by law, only university in VA that is specifically prohibited by statute is VCU/MCV. ODU may prohibit carry on their property though, you might check the universities website to see.

Checked the web site-- no you can not carry a firearm at ODU...

...only people that are already criminally-minded may carry at ODU. The rest of you law-abiders just have to suck it up and be victims. Strangely enough, school administrators can't quite see the logic there.

Around my part of town I generally like to work it like this, see metal detector= No Carry
    No Metal Detector= Concealed Carry fine

The website may say that you cannot carry there but all they can legally do is ask you to leave... unless you refuse then you can be arrested for trespassing. Now if they are serving alcohol in the center then you cannot. I don't know if they have metal detectors. If my memory serves me right they don't, but it's been a while since I've been there.

Do know that most college campuses are very anti carry so you will probably get some flack if you get caught. But again legally you are allowed to carry on campus as was stated earlier that VCU is the only college campus that is illegal to carry on.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

yeah and Norfolk is a place where i ALWAYS carry. I hate that area, sorry to anyone who lives there. Im about 35 mins away and visit friends there as little as possible. Ive been in the worst situations, all there.

They do serve alcohol at the center, so its off limits for ccw. It is not illegal to carry on university property in general, and since ODU is a public university any posting signs wouldn't have the force of law anyway. Its not permissible for government property to be off-limits to firearms in VA unless there is a specific prohibition in the state code. The only university for which such a prohibition exists is VCU. University policy can prevent students and employees from carrying on the property, but not others.

Its even questionable whether someone legally carrying on campus can be ordered to leave simply for doing so. That is not something I would push from either end, but its a question.

I worked for ODU PD for a couple of years before I moved back to North Carolina. In my experience most of the crimes against persons happened off-campus in the neighborhood just south of it where a lot of students live. That isn't to say that something can't happen to you on campus, but events at the Convocation Center are generally heavily patrolled by both ODU PD and Norfolk PD and the area is well lighted. Park in the garage next to the center and you should be OK.

Obviously being unarmed is not ideal, I'm not suggesting it is, but that part of campus is reasonably safe. Just don't go wandering around campus and the neighborhoods unarmed.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red82 View Post
    The website may say that you cannot carry there but all they can legally do is ask you to leave... unless you refuse then you can be arrested for trespassing. Now if they are serving alcohol in the center then you cannot. I don't know if they have metal detectors. If my memory serves me right they don't, but it's been a while since I've been there.

Do know that most college campuses are very anti carry so you will probably get some flack if you get caught. But again legally you are allowed to carry on campus as was stated earlier that VCU is the only college campus that is illegal to carry on.
    Doesn't say what restrictions are placed on firearms. Hey I'm just sayin'.

Also depends on what type of alcohol permit they have.

Restrictions:
    The following is a list of the Ted Constant Convocation Center restrictions:

1. Alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs
    2. Glass bottles or aluminum cans
    3. Ice chests (coolers) or thermos containers
    4. Cameras or recording devices (allowed only at specific events)
    5. Sticks or clubs
    6. Fireworks, firearms, or other weapons
    7. Bullhorns or noise makers
    8. Confetti or balloons
    9. Animals (except certified service dogs for the disabled)
    10. Beachballs and other inflatables
    11. Outside food or beverages
    12. Skateboards or rollerblades
    13. Water bottles or mugs
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

You're right! But still those restrictions have no legal holding. Which is a great thing.

But if they serve alcohol for consumption as one posting said higher up, then it is a no carry place. So if I were him I'd carry there and disarm in my car.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Red, what do you mean "no legal holding"?

i am going to assume it is the same as Tech and it is not illegal to carry there, just the school can enforce it against student/faculty/staff.

VIP Member
    INAL

To the best of my knowledge there is no case law on this issue.

However, according to some knowledgeable sources, a bad AG opinion may allow colleges some control over carry in buildings. Carrying in this case, with refusal to leave, could be considered trespass. As many events have a "No Return" policy, you might want to pass.

Hopefully SCCC can get a new bill in this year.

FWIIW I carry at Virginia Tech regularly -- including at anti-gun events wearing blaze orange pro-RKBA buttons and/or OCing. Bottom line State Police know I am carrying on campus and have been nothing but polite.

FYI:

1) Re: Preemption -- See

LIS > Code of Virginia > 15.2-915

15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section.
    BTW -- VCU slipped something through the State level Admin Code that prohibites carry, however, ODU hasn't.

2a) Re: CC -- Plain language reading of
    18.2-308
    J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia
    means that it only applies to restaurants and clubs as defined in 4.1-100 -- not all establishments that serve alcohol. Many places such as convention centers have event type licenses. As the law is silent on such licenses there is no prohibition on CC.

2b) Re open carry -- see:

http://www.vcdl.org/letters/VASP_OPEN.pdf

http://www.vcdl.org/letters/ABC_Letter.pdf
    Last edited by DaveH; November 20th, 2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: After some more checking added the bolded "However"
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

just got out of a Don Henley concert at the Ted Constant tonight. I did not see any metal detectors or LE checking people at the door. I did see alcohol being served and LE on foot around the venue. but from what I could see, it would be possible to CC (maybe not the smartest move, but still possible)

Great concert by the way!

Thanks for the feed back everyone. I think that I will NOT carry in the Center, but will carry while driving there. It is a shame, really.
    Take care,
    VTXDM40...........Molon Labe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links