Need update on Texas CHL process.

Need update on Texas CHL process.

This is a discussion on Need update on Texas CHL process. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, Im from Texas. I took my CHL class in mid August and mailed off my packet by the beginning of September. I then recieved ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need update on Texas CHL process.

Unhappy Need update on Texas CHL process.

Hello, Im from Texas. I took my CHL class in mid August and mailed off my packet by the beginning of September. I then recieved notice in the beginning of October that i needed to provide proof of citizenship before they can start processing my application. I immediately sent in what was needed to Texas DPS. My question is, what is the turn-around time for the CHL license to be issued. Has Texas DPS improved on their wait times or are they still lagging. I couple of years ago individuals were reporting a six to nine month time before they recieved their license. Im wondering how long its going to take to get mine. Please let me know.

joey rh

Quote Originally Posted by joeyrh9 View Post
    Hello, Im from Texas. I took my CHL class in mid August and mailed off my packet by the beginning of September. I then recieved notice in the beginning of October that i needed to provide proof of citizenship before they can start processing my application. I immediately sent in what was needed to Texas DPS. My question is, what is the turn-around time for the CHL license to be issued. Has Texas DPS improved on their wait times or are they still lagging. I couple of years ago individuals were reporting a six to nine month time before they recieved their license. Im wondering how long its going to take to get mine. Please let me know.

joey rh
    Howdy!

They are improving, mine took about 3 months with zero problems, but others since have been getting them quicker.
    Still, there are the odd individuals that take "longer".
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I would recommend going to TexasCHLforum.com • Index page

3 months 4 me
    Glocks

I too my chl class in late July. Shortly after mailing every thing off I received a letter stating thay had recieved my application along with a pin # so I could check the status online. 59 days after they recieved my app the status showed as approved. A few days later the card came in the mail

I originally took my CHL class at the end of May, sent off the application at the beginning of June. I had trouble with my photos (3 different times in fact). The last time I sent it in was the beginning of October. I just got approval 2 days ago, and am still in wait for my license.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Oh wow, three months is reasonable...offcourse if everything goes well. I recieved my pin about a week after sending in the documentation they needed. Now it is a waiting game. I hope I get it before the end of the year. I will be traveling and do not want to go empty handed. Thanks to you all for responding.

KaH
    Starting Sept 1 this year, the background checks (which were typically the reason for many delays) that could previously only be done by a licensed DPS officer had that restriction removed, so I'm sure it won't be too long. After they get through the backlog, yours will be up and shipped out fairly quickly. ;)

RPB
    120 days for my neighbors who had trouble because they have no fingerprints (worn off from manual labor and typing they said) so they had to get laser fingerprinted 2 or 3 times before they accepted them

mine was about 97 days, but I had to get a certified letter of records from a district clerk and fax them in to satisfy them after they sent me a letter, because my first and last name was pretty common and a case showed up in background check, which wasn't me...... got mine last week

It's going quicker now.

I mailed my app 4/29/09, CHL sitting in the mail box on 8/19/09 with no snags .... 3 months & 20 days. Don't know if that has changed over the last few months. When you have to re-submit for any reason, then all bets are off. I've heard others say that re-submitted apps go to the back of the line & start all over again. Let us hear from you when it arrives.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

RPB
    If you do hit a glitch, CALL and they'll connect you to the person handling it, they are nice and will tell you what they need, then FAX to them attention to that person... it goes pretty quickly.... the next time you call for status, they'll probably say "Oh it was cleared, it's at the printers, after it leaves the printers it comes back here for us to mail it to you, you should have it within 8 days" or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyrh9 View Post

joey rh
    I'm in the same situation.........timing is almost exactly the same as yours and I'm still waiting.
    CHL Class - Sept 5, 2009
    Submitted - Sept 11, 2009
    Provided US Passport - Oct 5, 2009
    Issued CHL - Nov 20, 2009
    Received CHL - Nov 27, 2009

RPB
    I mailed my original Application and stuff in on July 6th, then after 2 letters from them to me, and me calling and faxing/providing Harris County Dist clerk records twice, Oct 5 and Oct 22 (at which point they said on the phone they decided they didn't really need the Oct 22 faxed records, because they just "cleared it" earlier in the week without them anyway), I received the CHL in my mailbox on 11-4-09 ..... shouldn't take real long after they get what they need

It was "cleared" early in the week, or the Friday before the week of Oct 22
    On Oct 22 it was "at the printer" and I got it on Nov 4

it took me over 180 days to get my CHL.

RPB
    This, which just went in effect Sept. 2009, is doing a lot towards helping to clear up some things which created the backlogs and clogged the system though, such as a felony conviction in the 1960s which is only a small misdemeanor now, student loan defaults, etc etc

Changes to eligibility laws
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ligibility.pdf

Analysis of the bills
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...alanalysis.pdf

full bill
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...chl/HB2730.pdf

----------

By the way, if you took the course before Sept 1, 2009, actually before the new 2009-2010 book's Publication, PRINTED IN OCTOBER 2009 http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/LS-16.pdf

.... you should check these for new changes to the laws you just learned

Go to http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...elatedlaws.htm

To see the laws in their current form as of Sept. 1, 2009:

Current laws as of September 1, 2009 (clean version) (PDF)

To see a version reflecting the changes made by the 81st Texas Legislature in 2009:

Current laws as of September 1, 2009 (changes, strikeouts, highlighted additions) (PDF)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links