Another newbie legal question - Page 2

Another newbie legal question

This is a discussion on Another newbie legal question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Siddhartha @Kral-it was 5k and some change and back in the mid '90s... I figured that was gonna be what they offered... ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: Another newbie legal question

  1. #16
    VIP Member
    Array TX-JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    5,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    @Kral-it was 5k and some change and back in the mid '90s...
    I figured that was gonna be what they offered... Here's a story from last year...

    The greeter stopped a friend of my son's, for the same thing...his cellphone set off the alarm...when he didn't stop they chased him to the parking lot and grabbed him and forcefully restrained him...

    Now a little background on this kid...He's a national honor society student, athlete, Eagle Scout, with offers for academic and sports scholarships...

    Well, his parent's got there about the same time as the cops, the officer asked what he took? The store manager said he had refused to be searched, but had set off the alarms, so he knew he had something...the cop asked him if he had anything and the kid showed him...all he had was his cellphone...His dad started talking about a lawsuit for harming his sons reputation and possibly effecting his scholarships...They called corporate that night....the next day corporate called offering $10k...his dad laughed...I never heard the exact amount, but the kid's driving a brand new 3/4 ton 4wd Z71 Silverado Extended cab truck...w/ a suspension lift and 35" tires... a kid's dream truck... all paid for by walmart...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

    Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member


  2. #17
    Member Array KralBlbec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I figured that was gonna be what they offered... Here's a story from last year...

    The greeter stopped a friend of my son's, for the same thing...his cellphone set off the alarm...when he didn't stop they chased him to the parking lot and grabbed him and forcefully restrained him...

    Now a little background on this kid...He's a national honor society student, athlete, Eagle Scout, with offers for academic and sports scholarships...

    Well, his parent's got there about the same time as the cops, the officer asked what he took? The store manager said he had refused to be searched, but had set off the alarms, so he knew he had something...the cop asked him if he had anything and the kid showed him...all he had was his cellphone...His dad started talking about a lawsuit for harming his sons reputation and possibly effecting his scholarships...They called corporate that night....the next day corporate called offering $10k...his dad laughed...I never heard the exact amount, but the kid's driving a brand new 3/4 ton 4wd Z71 Silverado Extended cab truck...w/ a suspension lift and 35" tires... a kid's dream truck... all paid for by walmart...
    Hmmmm maybe I need to start wandering around the Walmart exits more often with something in my pocket...

  3. #18
    Member Array RPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    88
    LOL, well, the reason I chose Wal-Mart as the example was because the law firm I retired from after working there 25 years, had handled quite a few Wal-Mart cases during that time.

    I"ve had them searched at the gate of SeaWorld or SixFlags before when they'd keep the knife I had in one, but after opening the one fulll of my girlfreind's tampons, didn't dig to the bottom and remove the other pocket knife I had, which they returned when I left. They also searched all womens' purse years ago ... I don't recall ever being asked to open one at Renessaince Festival.


    As far as fanny packs, I got started carrying them at casinos, Had to wear 2 or 3 fanny packs at a time, one for quarters, one for dollars, etc etc ... I've consistantly worn them without a firearm for about 30 years, I keep candy, toothpicks, checkbook and bills in one. WalMart sees me at the customer service counter every month when I pay in person right out of my fannypack I pull the bill and check ... I live in a very tiny town, about 6 blocks long, and everyone knows I wear them, but the Wal-Mart is in another city 11 miles away.

    Mostly I carry IWB, but still have a fanny pack with toothpicks, candy etc lol

    I have a holster fanny pack, made to fit a Glock 17/19 which I've used when "traveling" for years, back when that was the only real way to go, and worn that for years, with my toothpicks, candy etc in it.....

    Whenever I've seen a waistpack, I always thought "tourist" or poor guy having to carry tampons because his wife wouldn't bring her purse.

    I have probaly 20 leather fanny packs, I guess I collect the things, but I'm always buying new ones, in case that type fits better/holds something better etc.

    I actually use two ankle holsters, a waist belt type abdomen holster, and carry IWB .... but last night filled about 10 fanny packs with guns and their magazines, figuring that's a decent dust free environment and handy to carry too.

  4. #19
    Member
    Array GaryB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Never , under any circumstance do you surrender your weapon to anyone other than a Police Officer duly authorized to disarm you.

    I wouldn't consent to a search by an Officer why would I consent to one from a Wal-Mart employee?
    That is correct, and never think you must do so...

  5. #20
    Member Array KralBlbec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by RPB View Post
    Whenever I've seen a waistpack, I always thought "tourist" or poor guy having to carry tampons because his wife wouldn't bring her purse.
    No offense bro, but whenever I see a dude with a fanny pack I think, "nerd".

  6. #21
    Member Array RPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    Of course you can tell there is a gun inside, if you see a man walking around in Wal-mart with a Fanny Pack on, you can guarantee there is a gun in it!
    I never assumed a fanny pack held a gun until the 1980s, and then mostly assumed they held sunscreen, tampons, lipsticks or other tourist old people things. However, anytime I see a car, I assume a gun is inside.

    Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    No offense bro, but whenever I see a dude with a fanny pack I think, "nerd".
    ROTFL I look more like a biker than a nerd though, beard like ZZtop, down past my chest, hair like a 1960s hipppy long-haired girl..... except at my age it's shiny on top, like Gahlleger used to be, ..... My dad's hair turned grey .... mine turned loose.

    When I retired from the law office first part of 2007, and moved to this tiny tiny town, I stopped shaving, getting haircuts etc. I wear a flourescent hat with reflective trim (bought it for kayaking) I wanted to get noticed, and was noticed by everyone, police EMS, everyone has seen me, kinda knows me, and is used to me wearing fanny packs. I think there were more people in my high school graduating class in Bellaire than this city has..... and this is the County Seat. Everyone else in town looks like retired ranchers with short hair and cowboy hats.... even the Judges.

    Back in college I looked like a biker too, but a guy in a parked car I asked what time it was puled a knife because I looked scary to him, so my girlfreind convinced me to get all clean looking and I went short hair and clean shaven a while, then I noticed people bumping into me on sidewalks a LOT and realized that NEVER happened when I looked scary, because they all took another route, walked on the other side of the road or something..... I got tired of people bumping into me though. The truth is though .... under the hair, you are exactly correct, I'm a nerd, been building computers since before Michael Dell got out of high school, beat the unbeatable tic-tac-toe computer AT&T had on exhibit at 1968/69 Hemisfair in San Antonio, worked for MSN for ten years controlling their servers and securing them along with 11 other people in the world. ... etc etc
    Last edited by RPB; November 20th, 2009 at 09:39 AM.

  7. #22
    Member Array KralBlbec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by RPB View Post
    ROTFL I look more like a biker than a nerd though, beard like ZZtop, down past my chest, hair like a 1960s hipppy long-haired girl..... except at my age it's shiny on top, like Gahlleger used to be, ..... My dad's hair turned grey .... mine turned loose.

    When I retired from the law office first part of 2007, and moved to this tiny tiny town, I stopped shaving, getting haircuts etc. I wear a flourescent hat with reflective trim (bought it for kayaking) I wanted to get noticed, and was noticed by everyone, police EMS, everyone has seen me, kinda knows me, and is used to me wearing fanny packs. I think there were more people in my high school graduating class in Bellaire than this city has..... and this is the County Seat. Everyone else in town looks like retired ranchers with short hair and cowboy hats.... even the Judges.

    Back in college I looked like a biker too, but a guy in a parked car I asked what time it was puled a knife because I looked scary to him, so my girlfreind convinced me to get all clean looking and I went short hair and clean shaven a while, then I noticed people bumping into me on sidewalks a LOT and realized that NEVER happened when I looked scary, because they all took another route, walked on the other side of the road or something..... I got tired of people bumping into me though. The truth is though .... under the hair, you are exactly correct, I'm a nerd, been building computers since before Michael Dell got out of high school, beat the unbeatable tic-tac-toe computer AT&T had on exhibit at 1968/69 Hemisfair in San Antonio, worked for MSN for ten years controlling their servers and securing them along with 11 other people in the world. ... etc etc
    Thats hilarious. I'm very much a nerd too, but to look it wouldn't show. I figure there is a huge difference between the D&D nerds (losers IMO) and the gadget nerds (who actually know their stuff). I prefer cue-ball with a goatee, but I posted a recent picture of me (my work photo id actually) as my facebook profile and got a few comments from some friends that it looks like a felon mugshot.

  8. #23
    Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    englewood, fl
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    No offense bro, but whenever I see a dude with a fanny pack I think, "nerd".
    thats what makes a fanny pack such a good place for a gun...when the nerd reaches inside for his wallet and blows a hole through the guy standing in front of him people say..."damn...i thought he was just a nerd"...

    down here in florida fanny packs are pretty common...with the lightweight clothing there isnt a lot of pockets unless you go cargo and there are a fair amount of tourists who carry their lives in fanny packs...i have carried several times in a fanny pack and its a great way to blend in when youre somewhere where the iwb isnt going to cut it hanging onto swim trunks or you want to go shirtless...

    face it...i dont care how good your gun belt is...it doesnt go with your swim trunks...and an ankle holster isnt going to conceal...

  9. #24
    Member Array RPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    thats what makes a fanny pack such a good place for a gun...when the nerd reaches inside for his wallet and blows a hole through the guy standing in front of him people say..."damn...i thought he was just a nerd"...

    down here in florida fanny packs are pretty common...with the lightweight clothing there isnt a lot of pockets unless you go cargo and there are a fair amount of tourists who carry their lives in fanny packs...i have carried several times in a fanny pack and its a great way to blend in when youre somewhere where the iwb isnt going to cut it hanging onto swim trunks or you want to go shirtless...

    face it...i dont care how good your gun belt is...it doesnt go with your swim trunks...and an ankle holster isnt going to conceal...
    Exactly. And no worries about shirt pulling up catching on the grip after sitting and standing up from a car seatbelt unlatching or in church (all our Deacons and Pastor are CHLs and carry) No worries about anything falling out of my IWB holster and skittering across the floor into the next stall when sitting upon a bathroom appliance ...... Fanny packs are just handy, for a BUG even if I'm carrying IWB + ankle.

    I"m wishing I hadn't sold about 30 pocket guns and smaller last year, else I'd do my Wally Walk wearing roughly 25 guns just for grins. (Long long long ago, I used to put on about 25 to 30 for some of my __________ Department Police freinds to see if they could spot any or even find them all in a "Pat Down/Frisk". .... Most did very well, ... Everyone found the IWB, OWB, Bellyband, abdomen, ankle holsters and shoulder holsters, and the ankle holster used on an upper arm, anything inside a pants pocket, including wallet-type derringer holster, and fanny pack, BUT.... Occaisionally a Rookie would miss the North American Arms .22 under my hat/cap or a .32 or .38 derringer in an inside Tee-shirt pocket, or inside Blue Jean Jacket pocket, or another one or two .... but that's how they learned, so they wouldn't make mistakes on the street.) Reason I started doing that for them was because there was an incident elsewhere where an Officer was killed by a North American Arms .22 after the BG had been searched and was already in the back of the patrol car. So far I only know of one incident one of their guns which I customized was "used" and killed a BG, but saved other peoples' lives. It was a Glock .40 I convinced an officer to carry who used to only trust .357 wheelguns, until I took him to the range and showed him his wheelgun could jam and that he, at 50 yards, could exactly divide the pleat and buttons in half on a man's shirt with that gun I customized, dang he is a good shot.

    So, I'm not really new at carrying, since Police knew me very very well as a GG, but since I've moved to another city/county, I decided to get "Legal" and stay that way. Therefore, I'm going through all the "typical newbie concerns" lol.

    Anyway, thanks for the replies and excellent advice.
    Last edited by RPB; November 20th, 2009 at 10:57 AM.

  10. #25
    Member Array jimbofox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by RPB View Post
    LOL, well, the reason I chose Wal-Mart as the example was because the law firm I retired from after working there 25 years, had handled quite a few Wal-Mart cases during that time.

    I"ve had them searched at the gate of SeaWorld or SixFlags before when they'd keep the knife I had in one, but after opening the one fulll of my girlfreind's tampons, didn't dig to the bottom and remove the other pocket knife I had, which they returned when I left. They also searched all womens' purse years ago ... I don't recall ever being asked to open one at Renessaince Festival.


    As far as fanny packs, I got started carrying them at casinos, Had to wear 2 or 3 fanny packs at a time, one for quarters, one for dollars, etc etc ... I've consistantly worn them without a firearm for about 30 years, I keep candy, toothpicks, checkbook and bills in one. WalMart sees me at the customer service counter every month when I pay in person right out of my fannypack I pull the bill and check ... I live in a very tiny town, about 6 blocks long, and everyone knows I wear them, but the Wal-Mart is in another city 11 miles away.

    Mostly I carry IWB, but still have a fanny pack with toothpicks, candy etc lol

    I have a holster fanny pack, made to fit a Glock 17/19 which I've used when "traveling" for years, back when that was the only real way to go, and worn that for years, with my toothpicks, candy etc in it.....

    Whenever I've seen a waistpack, I always thought "tourist" or poor guy having to carry tampons because his wife wouldn't bring her purse.

    I have probaly 20 leather fanny packs, I guess I collect the things, but I'm always buying new ones, in case that type fits better/holds something better etc.

    I actually use two ankle holsters, a waist belt type abdomen holster, and carry IWB .... but last night filled about 10 fanny packs with guns and their magazines, figuring that's a decent dust free environment and handy to carry too.
    I'd recommend a maxpedition proteus versipack. It's the best buttpack there is as far as compartments, carry, materials its made with, and overall quality. I have 2 of them. Works great for hiking.

  11. #26
    Member Array RPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbofox View Post
    I'd recommend a maxpedition proteus versipack. It's the best buttpack there is as far as compartments, carry, materials its made with, and overall quality. I have 2 of them. Works great for hiking.
    Thanks, I looked those up and need to get one. I do a lot of kayak fishing and that looks like it will work a lot better than my leather ones for that.

  12. #27
    Member Array jimbofox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by RPB View Post
    Thanks, I looked those up and need to get one. I do a lot of kayak fishing and that looks like it will work a lot better than my leather ones for that.
    Indeed, sir. I used one as my EDC for awhile. Now I use their fatboy versipack. By the way I'm new around these parts so hello to everyone here on this thread. Name's Jimbo and I just recently acquired my first firearm, a Ruger SR9 and am about to being OC'ing in a few days. So again, hello to everyone on this part of the forum.

  13. #28
    Member Array bwhunter65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    124
    In NC there is no citizens arrest they cant detain you
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

    -- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

  14. #29
    Member Array Bm7b5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sin comentarios
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhunter65 View Post
    In NC there is no citizens arrest they cant detain you
    I don't mean to be rude, but if you are going to make absolute claims about the law, you should do some minimal amount of investigation first.

    Let me google that for you


    GS_14-72.1

    14‑72.1. Concealment of merchandise in mercantile establishments.

    (c) A merchant, or the merchant's agent or employee, or a peace officer who detains or causes the arrest of any person shall not be held civilly liable for detention, malicious prosecution, false imprisonment, or false arrest of the person detained or arrested, where such detention is upon the premises of the store or in a reasonable proximity thereto, is in a reasonable manner for a reasonable length of time, and, if in detaining or in causing the arrest of such person, the merchant, or the merchant's agent or employee, or the peace officer had at the time of the detention or arrest probable cause to believe that the person committed the offense created by this section. If the person being detained by the merchant, or the merchant's agent or employee, is a minor under the age of 18 years, the merchant or the merchant's agent or employee, shall call or notify, or make a reasonable effort to call or notify the parent or guardian of the minor, during the period of detention. A merchant, or the merchant's agent or employee, who makes a reasonable effort to call or notify the parent or guardian of the minor shall not be held civilly liable for failing to notify the parent or guardian of the minor.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

  15. #30
    Member Array grifft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    30
    They have no legal authority to search you. Wait for Police

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Any lawyers out there? Legal question
    By SARR001 in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: June 25th, 2011, 09:25 AM
  2. ohio ccw legal question
    By MrSigSauer in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 6th, 2009, 12:37 AM
  3. Ki nd of a legal question?
    By Jmac00 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: June 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
  4. CCW Legal Question
    By GettingOld2 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: May 8th, 2008, 11:57 PM
  5. Legal Question
    By slidelock in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: February 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Search tags for this page

www.precydent.com/citation/61/s.w.3d/774

Click on a term to search for related topics.